PDA

View Full Version : When will the yea, yea die!

writerterri
02-25-2008, 10:25 PM
What is this about?! And you yea, yea users know who you are! I can't take it anymore! First it was adding a yes at the end of your sentence.

"You want snails for dinner, yes?"

"Honey, this coffee sucks, yes?"

This took off then quickly died out, no? Okay, it still lingers here and there, yes?

You don't need to answer the question for me or us!

Yea, yea is out of control! It's not even a proper word! And there's controversy on how to spell it. Now it's shooting out of peoples mouths like a machine gun.

First I heard it as an answer as if to say yes.

"Could you hand me that pencil?"
"Yea."

"Are those chocolate pants?"
"Yea"

"Is that a wart on your butt?"
"Yea."

Say it out loud with me. Y-E-A. See how dumb you sound?!

Your tongue should fall out of your mouth when you say yea! It might as well. It almost did!

Then I heard yea as an agreement with a look of anticipation. First it was two yea yeas.

"Did you smell that?!"
"Yea, yea!"

"Where'd you sleep last night?"
"You know that girl Michelle?"
"Yea, yea!"

Then there were three.

"You know those red pumps she always wears?"
"Yea, yea, yea!"

Women do it too!

"Okay, so, you know that guy with the long hair at the gym who always sweats buckets and his hair gets all sexy wet?"
"Yea, yea, yea!" *with a finger point*

"Where did you get that!"
"You know the poster section at WalMart?"
"Yea, yea, yea!"

But it sounds more like; ye, ye, yeaaaa!

I'm getting so impatient with this! I refuse to say, ye, ye, yeaaaa!

So the other night I hear four and five yea, yeas in a conversation. It drove me nuts! This epidemic has to stop! Where will it end?!!!

Make it go away!

Then the mother of all yea, yeas was in ear shot of me.

"Well, she wore those red pumps and a skin tight black sequin dress."
"Ye, ye, ye, yeaaa!"

"And you know that wart on her butt?"
"Ye, ye, ye, ye, ye, ye, yeaaa... yea, yea, yea!"

It was like a machine gun! I looked over expecting to see his tongue on the floor! I wanted to squash it!

And, dude, I would never admit to that, yes?

jst5150
02-25-2008, 10:29 PM
Poor Terri, caught in a pop-culture maelstrom. :)

writerterri
02-25-2008, 10:31 PM
yea

Haggis
02-25-2008, 10:48 PM
http://dl8.glitter-graphics.net/pub/25/25438jo1c4qdesc.gif
She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah...

melaniehoo
02-25-2008, 10:48 PM
Is yeah better? How 'bout eh?

writerterri
02-25-2008, 10:51 PM
http://dl8.glitter-graphics.net/pub/25/25438jo1c4qdesc.gif

They started it!

Down with the Beatles!

writerterri
02-25-2008, 10:52 PM
Is yeah better? How 'bout eh?

That's Canadian, eh?

melaniehoo
02-25-2008, 10:53 PM
That's Canadian, eh?

Sí. There's a lot of them down here plus I grew up near Canada in Michigan. It's contagious.

Rolling Thunder
02-25-2008, 10:55 PM
Yeah?

TemlynWriting
02-25-2008, 10:55 PM
Terri, I feel your pain. My husband and I have a family friend (male) who does this, and it always sounds like he's not really listening, because the "yea, yea, yea" (yes, he says it THREE times!) happens while we're talking!

The worst? I noticed my mom saying it, not to mention THREE times, as well! I called her on it right away, mentioning about our friend who does it. She apparently picked it up from someone, and she knows how annoying it is, so she's working on stopping.

My dad used to do the single "yea" when he'd ask a question, like your first example. We always teased him about it, because it was more like he was telling than asking.

So, yeah. ;)

C.bronco
02-25-2008, 10:56 PM
Yep. I think Haggis used the proper spelling.
If you are Austrian or German, you may use the variation "ya," which may actually translate into the more appropriate "yes," but I don't know because I don't speak German.

Yup.

melaniehoo
02-25-2008, 11:00 PM
If you are Austrian or German, you may use the variation "ya," which may actually translate into the more appropriate "yes," but I don't know because I don't speak German.

Yup.

The Dutch say 'ya' too.

writerterri
02-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Sí. There's a lot of them down here plus I grew up near Canada in Michigan. It's contagious.

Remember the 80's. The Hose Heads? Or something like that. I can't remember their names. It was a gag on Canadians.

Who remembers them? Were they on SNL?

writerterri
02-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Yeah?

You're tongue dude.

melaniehoo
02-25-2008, 11:04 PM
Remember the 80's. The Hose Heads? Or something like that. I can't remember their names. It was a gag on Canadians.

Vaguely.

writerterri
02-25-2008, 11:05 PM
Terri, I feel your pain. My husband and I have a family friend (male) who does this, and it always sounds like he's not really listening, because the "yea, yea, yea" (yes, he says it THREE times!) happens while we're talking!

The worst? I noticed my mom saying it, not to mention THREE times, as well! I called her on it right away, mentioning about our friend who does it. She apparently picked it up from someone, and she knows how annoying it is, so she's working on stopping.

My dad used to do the single "yea" when he'd ask a question, like your first example. We always teased him about it, because it was more like he was telling than asking.

So, yeah. ;)

My brother does it! He sounds like Randy Jackson too!

I guess I'm anti pop culture.

I refuse!

quickWit

Bob and Doug Mckenzie were from Second City TV.

Hoser.

writerterri

Yup.

I think it's "Yep." :D

C.bronco
02-25-2008, 11:06 PM
Bob and Doug MacKenzie, Werri! They made the classic cinematic opus, Strange Brew. It was magic on screen! Sigh.
http://www.eliteboardshop.com/images/2007/11/01/eliteboardshop_brew2.jpg

writerterri
02-25-2008, 11:06 PM
Bob and Doug Mckenzie were from Second City TV.

Hoser.

I knew you'd remember!

Eh!

writerterri
02-25-2008, 11:09 PM
Bob and Doug MacKenzie, Werri! They made the classic cinematic opus, Strange Brew. It was magic on screen! Sigh.

They were conversation stoppers. They would come on TV and all would be quiet to listen. And even if you didn't laugh at their great comedy, you were mesmerised by their wit.

Yeah, yeah, yeah!

HELP!

Yea, yea, yea is squicker.

C.bronco
02-25-2008, 11:12 PM
I liked their 12 Days of Christmas (four bowling shirts, three French toasts, two strips of back bacon and a beer)

writerterri
02-25-2008, 11:18 PM
Oh, yea, that was great!

I wonder if they're on youtube?

melaniehoo
02-25-2008, 11:19 PM
Now I want to see Strange Brew again.

Devil Ledbetter
02-25-2008, 11:19 PM
They don't say "yeah" they say "eh." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6LPCM8iflI)

Get it right. Or move farther north.

writerterri
02-25-2008, 11:20 PM
What are the chances of finding it?

I'm looking on youtube...

Devil Ledbetter
02-25-2008, 11:22 PM
I already posted it.

I guess Werri has me on ignore.:rolleyes:

writerterri
02-25-2008, 11:25 PM
They don't say "yeah" they say "eh." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6LPCM8iflI)

Get it right. Or move farther north.

Take off, eh!

That was great!

writerterri
02-25-2008, 11:26 PM
I already posted it.

I guess Werri has me on ignore.:rolleyes:

I do....not! I just took you off. :D

Welcome back!

Was that the only thing they had on there. My sexy hubby just called me and we reminesced...

I was distracted, yes?

Jersey Chick
02-25-2008, 11:36 PM
For recent Mackenzie brothers - check out the movie Brother Bear - they play two moose (Rutt and Tuk Mackenzie).

They say eh.

writerterri
02-25-2008, 11:45 PM
For recent Mackenzie brothers - check out the movie Brother Bear - they play two moose (Rutt and Tuk Mackenzie).

They say eh.

I just saw that one again, since cable is off and all.

It's so funny!

People that remember names amaze me.

C.bronco
02-26-2008, 05:27 PM
I'm going to put on my took. :)

WerenCole
02-26-2008, 10:34 PM
I am actually one of the people who use the "yes" line at the end of some sentences. I like it, it makes me feel like I am saying and extra word. Because I am.

Though, before I rant for a second let me just say that this topic is for DORKS. . . (or at least the topic starter)

Think of places with specific nomenclatures, say for instance Maine and Canada. Yea is a derivative of the Mainah "ayuh" and the Canadian "Eh." Really, you insensitive bullwhip-on-you-mother's-toenails biatch. Can't you think of the poor people whose lexicon you are stepping on? Can't you think of all the people with poor self esteem who end their sentences with "yea" who you have now committed to a an early grave by means of suicide (via auto-erotic estrangulation)? Come on now, think of the consequences of your actions. This is not fair to all the self-righteous yet ill-mannered and uncooth population of red necks in America. I am not sure where you live but look around some day and you will realize that the red necks outnumber the rest of the population about 2-1. They get pissed and shoot things, if I were you I would not make fun of the way they talk.

Oh, by the way. You free for dinner on Wednesday?

Christine N.
02-26-2008, 10:36 PM

My 8th grade English teacher would take points off your grade every time you said 'yeah' instead of 'yes' in his class.

quickWit
02-26-2008, 10:42 PM
Bob and Doug were raucous, eh yea?

writerterri
02-27-2008, 12:30 AM
I am actually one of the people who use the "yes" line at the end of some sentences. I like it, it makes me feel like I am saying and extra word. Because I am.

Though, before I rant for a second let me just say that this topic is for DORKS. . . (or at least the topic starter)

Think of places with specific nomenclatures, say for instance Maine and Canada. Yea is a derivative of the Mainah "ayuh" and the Canadian "Eh." Really, you insensitive bullwhip-on-you-mother's-toenails biatch. Can't you think of the poor people whose lexicon you are stepping on? Can't you think of all the people with poor self esteem who end their sentences with "yea" who you have now committed to a an early grave by means of suicide (via auto-erotic estrangulation)? Come on now, think of the consequences of your actions. This is not fair to all the self-righteous yet ill-mannered and uncooth population of red necks in America. I am not sure where you live but look around some day and you will realize that the red necks outnumber the rest of the population about 2-1. They get pissed and shoot things, if I were you I would not make fun of the way they talk.

Oh, by the way. You free for dinner on Wednesday?

:roll:

Ye, ye, ye, ye, yeah, yea!

writerterri
02-27-2008, 12:32 AM
Bob and Doug were raucous, eh yea?

Hey, could you turn down those nipples, I can't hear you!

writerterri
02-27-2008, 12:33 AM

My 8th grade English teacher would take points off your grade every time you said 'yeah' instead of 'yes' in his class.

I do the same thing to my self when I say yeah.

I'm in the neg 3 right now. I'll have to work on that, yeah.