tense of non-fic synopsis

pollykahl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pollykahl.com
Hi Nathan, I'm bringing in a question I asked in another thread since I'm getting conflicting answers. Must a synopsis always be in present tense, even with non-fiction? My memoir is written in past tense and it feels awkward to me to then synopsise it in present tense.
Thanks,
Polly

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I've been told in writing courses and by my publisher to write my synopsis in the present tense. I too don't like it but I'm too much of a coward to take a stand against it.

pollykahl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pollykahl.com
fic vs non-fic & synop vs. outline

Now I've just read on another thread that we send an outline for non-fic and a synopsis for fiction. This is so confusing. Nathan, are there hard and fast rules? And if I need to do an outline insteadof a synopsis for my memoir, must it also be in first person?

ExposingCorruption

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Now I've just read on another thread that we send an outline for non-fic and a synopsis for fiction. This is so confusing. Nathan, are there hard and fast rules? And if I need to do an outline insteadof a synopsis for my memoir, must it also be in first person?

Polly, I was at a writers' conference last weekend and they made it clear that memoirs are treated like fiction.

pollykahl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pollykahl.com
She was and is confused.

"memoirs are treated like fiction"

I've always heard they're treated like non-fic, since that's what they are, so this is totally news to me. I'm hoping Nathan can shine a little light on these questions.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
"memoirs are treated like fiction"

I've always heard they're treated like non-fic, since that's what they are, so this is totally news to me. I'm hoping Nathan can shine a little light on these questions.

They're "treated like fiction" in that you finish them before you query--you almost never sell them from a proposal or outline. That's the way in which they're more similar to fiction than non-fiction.

But that doesn't mean that they're queried like fiction.

Polly, if you want Nathan Bransford to answer your question, you have to ask it in his thread (up top). I don't think he reads the whole forum.

And have you seen agent Kristin Nelson's series of posts on memoirs from an agent's point of view? If you start with the one I linked and move forward by clicking "Newer Post" you'll get five or six posts on the topic.

pollykahl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pollykahl.com
Oopsy, I thought I HAD posted this in Nathan's thread. I kept wondering why others were responding. Well, that answers that!

I'll check those blog posts out, but I've read several today and some of them conflict which is why I thought I'd ask Nathan.

Thanks, I'll go poke around some more.