What's next for comedians?

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Sony Television will premiere next week Lil' Bush and That's My Bush here in Latin America and that got me thinking. What is left with comedians that seems to desperate depend on jokes to the Bush Administration? will they continue with Hillary or Obama? Just compare the political satire Before Bush and now. I doubt Obama will give a good comedy source and they can only mock Mccain for how old he is

Will US comedy suffer from this?

mikeland

Call me Pookie
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about the comedians.

You're forgetting what a goldmine Clinton was for comedians. Diddling around with an intern in the oval office -- man, that is comedy gift wrapped with a little bow on top.

And if you look back at Saturday Night Live in particular, they've always found a way to tweak the incumbent. Look at Dan Ackroyd doing classic bits as Richard Nixon and Jimmy Carter. And Chevy Chase -- he took our blandest President in recent memory (that would be Ford) and made him hilarious. I don't remember who did Reagan and Bush Sr., but plenty of folks made a living off them as well.

I don't remember where, but I saw a quote from Lorne Michaels saying they need to find someone who can do Obama. And McCain -- you could do a whole set of jokes about his temper alone.

And Bush has actually been a tough sell for comedy until the last couple of years. There was a long period in there after 9/11 where he was untouchable as a source for jokes.

So, fear not, maxmordon. The beauty of this country is that we'll go to the polls and elect someone, then the next day we'll start making fun of him (or her).

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. During the episode of Crossfire that Jon Stewart guested, he was asked which candidate to win the (2004) presidency would give them the most material.

His response:
STEWART: I don't really know. That's kind of not how we look at it. We look at, the absurdity of the system provides us the most material. And that is best served by sort of the theater of it all, you know, which, by the way, thank you both, because it's been helpful.