Show Me The Money!

Status
Not open for further replies.

romancewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone seen these websites which break down how much different romance publishing houses pay? It seems as if the person generating these lists go to some effort to keep the info accuarate, but I noticed something that makes me wonder.

For instance they show the average Harlequin Temptation author (I know Temptation stopped publication like 3-4 years ago which was about the time this list was last updated) makes more than the average Harlequin Blaze author. And Blaze is still alive and kicking. I know the list is just a sampling of authors who were willing to disclose to some extent how much money they make per title, but I am a little confused.

Granted I'm no marketing genius, nor do I claim to be, but am I missing something here? How does this make sense?

L.Jones

Registered
Reaction score
Brenda Hiatt's list at http://www.brendahiatt.com/id2.html
(which is called Show Me The Money, I think) doesn't even have Temptation that I can see. She regularly updates, she asks regularly for people to send her info.

They really are just there to give people ideas, maybe help when negotiating contracts or to understand where they are in the field of authors or what they can expect if they sell to a certain publisher?
I know I check Brenda's list all the time, though can't say they have really reflected my experience (my single titles make way less - probably the lists are skewered by the huge names with sizable paydays) and my category books make more than the lists (again probably because new authors whose books haven't earned out yet are more willing to participate). I'm just curious.

annie jones - The Barefoot Believers - mar 08

romancewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Annie :)

I know the list is just a sampling. I've seen Brenda's list and no it doesn't list Temptation. I can't remember where I've saw the other list. If I find it, I'll post it.

lrs

Registered
Reaction score
I was pretty surprised by how little places like Kensington and dorchester pay. Sometimes less for a single title than for a harlequin series. Made me wonder why the heck I wasn't trying to write for harlequin! lol.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
I think Brenda usually updates once a year. Often just before National or so.

Do remember that any data you see is a few years old, even if Brenda's only just collected it. Royalty periods being what they are, the data is on books sold a few years ago even if it's new.

Sales are down all over the place, I fear.

Take it all with a grain of salt because your milage may totally vary. But at least you get some idea.

Susan G.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
The other site that has posted information is Karen Fox - http://www.karenafox.com

And yeah, not all that representative (wasn't for me), but it's a good reality check. :)

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Keep in mind that the minimum/maximums are based on what the writers told her.

Compare those numbers to how many writers responded.

If a house gives an advance of 1000.00 and only seven writers replied, that may not be typical for their better paid writers.

I ran this one past my agent and she recommended I pay attention to the low end of the royalties.

For instance, the average earn-out for a HQ SuperRomance is between 10,000 and 54,000.

It is just TOO easy to focus on the 54K and expect it. My agent said to always expect the least amount shown on that list. If you earn more than 10K, then kick up your heels!

If you expect to make the 54K, you're in for a disappointment. That amount likely represents the numbers for a very popular writer with a long track record and a lot of fans, not a first sale from a newbie.

Ditto for the advance. However fantastic your HQ might be, they will offer the low end on that scale.

Still--they are seeking NEW writers all the time and it's a pro credit.

Count me in for an Intrigue, soon as I get the time!

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
For instance, the average earn-out for a HQ SuperRomance is between 10,000 and 54,000.

It is just TOO easy to focus on the 54K and expect it. My agent said to always expect the least amount shown on that list. If you earn more than 10K, then kick up your heels!

If you expect to make the 54K, you're in for a disappointment. That amount likely represents the numbers for a very popular writer with a long track record and a lot of fans, not a first sale from a newbie.

Ditto for the advance. However fantastic your HQ might be, they will offer the low end on that scale.

!

LOL - I've got news for ANYONE who expects to make $54K on a Super. Ain't gonna happen.

Those figures came from books from YEARS ago, back when we had a bookclub of over 300K. Yes, you read that right.

The bookclub now is waaaayyy lower than it used to be, as are print runs and retail sales. Trust me when I say $54k would be...amazing...these days. Probably Debbie Macomber made more than that for the Super she did about 5 years back, but then, she's Debbie Macomber. :) (A delightful lady, by the way.)

And as to advances, HQ has basic standard advances for new authors of each line. Perhaps some agents can get a little more, but it's pretty...standard...for newbies.

Susan G. - who'd LOVE to earn out $54k on her Supers. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.