PDA

View Full Version : PLOT HOLES, MISTAKES IN FILM AND TV

childeroland
02-24-2008, 02:11 AM
I thought it'd be fun if people listed plot holes and other mistakes (continuity errors, etc) in films and television shows, or corrections if someone finds a mistake isn't a mistake. For example:

Commando

After chasing down Sully, the yellow Porsche is totally wrecked on the left side, until Schwarzenegger drives it away, when no dent appears.

Attack of the Clones

When Padme and some clone troopers get blown out of the ship chasing Count Dooku, a trooper approaches Amidala and asks about making their way back to the front lines. Amidala says they should go to the hangar to help Obi-Wan and Anakin. How did she know about the hangar, having left the ship quite some time before it arrived at the final destination?

The Phantom Menace

Anakin has just helped saved Naboo from the Trade Federation (the bad guys, for those who don't speak nerd) and his mother remains a slave on his home planet: not once does anyone think to show him gratitude by, you know, BUYING HER FREEDOM.

Spiderman 2

Harry tells Doctor Oct that to find Spider-Man he must find Peter. Doctor Octopus finds Peter with Mary Jane in the cafe and throws a car straight at them. Octopus doesn't know that Peter is Spider-Man, so why would he take an action that would have killed a normal person?

DeleyanLee
02-24-2008, 02:49 AM
One (of many) from League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Dorian Gray somehow misses having the Invisible Man in a tiny sub for nearly two weeks just because he can't see him. What? The man didn't have to relieve himself? Breathe? Eat? Sweat? Ish.

That movie is a train wreck of plot holes. Both fun and infuriating.

HeronW
02-24-2008, 02:56 AM
Rocky Horror Picture Show, Rocky is hurt, Janet-Susan Sarandon bandages his hand but there's no wounds a couple hours later.

At the end, Brad and Janet are told to take the Prof with them. They roll him out in his wheel chair but it doesn't show up when the house/ship takes off.

DWSTXS
02-24-2008, 03:13 AM
since this is a writer's web site, how about a book mistake:

The DaVinci Code - Silas has severe albinism. He should be legally blind. People with even mild albinism have impaired vision due to lack of retinal pigmentation. There is no way Silas would be able to fire a gun over a distance with any accuracy, or drive a car, yet he does both these things. There is never a hint or comment anywhere about his poor vision.

DWSTXS
02-24-2008, 03:17 AM
Titanic: When Rose is arriving in New York half asleep, she looks at the Statue of Liberty, which is the same colour as now (green). But if you visit the statue of liberty, you'll find a plate telling you that the original color was brown, and it took over 35 years for it to change colour. The statue of liberty was placed there in 1886, so in 1912 it should have still been partly brown. Also, the flame was replaced in 1986 (for its 100th anniversary) with a gold flame. The film shows the Statue holding a torch with a gold flame, not the original

Chumplet
02-24-2008, 03:58 AM
Okay, in Raiders of the Lost Ark, it drives me nuts that when they lifted the stone cover to the chamber that contained the ark, a big WHOOSH! of air spurts upward as if the chamber was in a vacuum. How, then, did all those snakes manage to live down there? When Indie notes the snakes coming through a hole, the inner chamber has a direct air supply from the outside.

robeiae
02-24-2008, 04:22 AM
The snakes had been holding their breath for two thousand years. They exhaled.

Zelenka
02-24-2008, 04:34 AM
There was a series called 'Civvies' back in the 90s, written by Linda La Plante, about ex paratroopers trying to adjust to civilian life. Jason Isaacs played the MC, and had a scar that moved around his face and then disappeared completely for one scene. Later there was a scene where he was supposed to make a phonecall. The character had 'Love' and 'Hate' tattooed on his knuckles, but only in the close-ups where he was holding the phone.

Supposedly there's a shot in The Two Towers where Gandalf's wearing trainers but I've never caught that.

maxmordon
02-24-2008, 04:46 AM
Vampire Assassin; the Plan 9 from our generation. A scene happening in a bar (through the external shot shows a deli) there is a band playing and a girl singing, but the only music you hear seems to be muzak played with a keyboard

By the way, this is the poster

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8a/Vampire_Assassin.jpg/200px-Vampire_Assassin.jpg

and this is the guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRmKrlRvh5c&feature=related

PattiTheWicked
02-24-2008, 06:44 AM
Oooh, I love stuff like this. I live for movie goofs.

In Gladiator, there's a scene in Germania where Maximus is moving his horse. Just under the horse's neck and forelegs, you can see the blue jeans and workboots of a grip who didn't get out of the way in time.

Later, when they're in one of the arena scenes, there's a woman wearing sunglasses in the front row.

katiemac
02-24-2008, 07:12 AM
Supposedly there's a shot in The Two Towers where Gandalf's wearing trainers but I've never caught that.

During Aragorn's motivational speech at the end of Return of the King, behind him on horseback is the kid stand-in for one of the hobbits. It's a pretty blatant mistake. I was hoping they'd find a way to fix it for the DVD release but alas, no.

childeroland
02-24-2008, 10:01 AM
Another one from Two Towers. When Merry and Pippin are tied up by the orcs, they don't get loose till after Karl Urban's troop attacks the orcs and they escape during the fight. But in one scene during the fight Pippin's arms aren't bound, and in the next shot they are.

DWSTXS
02-24-2008, 10:28 AM
Gladiators - - -
Visible crew/equipment: When Maximus is told the Emperor is dead we see him barge past Commodus to see the body. Look behind Commodus at the roof and you should see an electrical stage light.

Factual error: When a group of soldiers goes to Maximus' villa to burn it and kill his family, his son points them, saying in perfect Italian "Mama! I soldati!" I just don't understand why he speaks Italian in a movie in English, where people are supposed to speak Latin, in a province where this language was never ever spoken.

Continuity: During the enactment of the Battle of Zama, Maximus rides his horse around a bend with his sword in his left hand. When we cut to close up, it's back in his right. Looking at the left-handed shot in freeze-frame, you can see the frame has been flipped, left-to-right (check the armor). This was probably for continuity reasons. Similarly, Maximus jumps on the horse and his shoulder protector is clearly on his injured left shoulder. However, a few frames later, the protector is on his right shoulder, then it moves yet again back the correct spot, the left shoulder.

Visible crew/equipment: During the scene where Maximus throws the sword into the crowd and yells "are you not entertained," the camera pans around, and in the crowd, for a split second, you can see a cameraman in jeans and a shirt standing next to a camera. This is visible on the big screen, but hard to see on video, unless you see it on DVD and can zoom in.

Continuity: During the first Gladiator match in Morocco, Maximus and Juba are chained together. Once they have killed the last man, the camera takes us around the arena. You can clearly see the shadow of the camera on Maximus' chest. It happens twice.

Factual error: In one of the scenes in Rome leading up to a fight, leaflets are being handed out. These didn't exist, event notices were written up on boards.

Factual error: Before Maximus enters the colliseum, he selects a helmet and places it on his head. On the rack is a copy of a saxon helmet found at Sutton Hoo, England and part of the treasure found at that location. Unfortunately this is a 7th century design.

Chasing the Horizon
02-24-2008, 11:10 AM
In Twister, the main characters drive their truck into a house (which a tornado has thrown into the middle of the road). As they enter the house the windshield is very obviously broken by a piece of debris, but when they pop out the other side the windshield is in tact. Then the camera angle switches and it's broken again. The error is so glaring me and everyone with me noticed it the very first time we saw the movie. Of course, having the two main characters tie themselves to a pipe and survive a direct hit by an F5 twister without so much as a scratch is completely unrealistic too. Come to think of it, Twister has more errors than most 'B' horror movies (but for some strange reason I still like it, lol).

Zelenka
02-24-2008, 08:45 PM
'Doctor Who' has a fair number but the two I can think of right now, one from the classic series, one from the new;

In the episode 'The Chase', right back in the 60s with William Hartnell, the MCs are being chased through time and space by a group of Daleks. They land in what seems to be Dracula's Castle but which turns out to be a House of Horrors with androids in. In the basement they go down and find Frankenstein's laboratory and in the background is an archway, where the Dalek 'prop' can clearly be seen, sitting in the shadows, waiting to be trundled on later. Only the Daleks don't arrive in the building for another couple of scenes.

In the new, the episode 'The Shakespeare Code' - minor thing but they showed a view of Shakespearean London and the Globe Theatre was on the wrong side of London Bridge, but was in the right place in another shot. Think they'd just reversed the graphic.

There was an incident when Star Trek was showing on BBC1 too where transmission left the station ident up too long and the Enterprise flew around the BBC's graphic of the globe.

The Two Towers again, but in the scene where Sam and Frodo are being questioned by Faramir, in one shot you see the two hobbits sitting together with their backs against some barrels, a moment later the barrels have disappeared. Eomer also drops his sword as he dismounts his horse when he first meets Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Hagrid's half brother Grawp hands Hermione the handlebars off a bicycle and gets her to ping the bell. You never see her hand it back but in the next shot he has it, she doesn't, and he's pinging the bell on it.

DWSTXS
02-25-2008, 12:16 AM
in my opinion Twister was one of the worst movies ever. Of all time. It seemed to me like they chased one tornado all over the place, while it was making right angle moves, etc etc. Also, the visibility they had up close to the twisters was too damn much to be believed. Stupid stupid movie.

Toothpaste
02-25-2008, 12:24 AM
Well, I see everyone's picking on the Star Wars prequels just because they suck. How about some classic Star Wars bloopers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBQaLuqwtl8

Here an ‘elite’ storm trooper bumps his head on a door frame in the Death Star.

When they reissued the films with the new effects and stuff back into the theatres in the late 90's, they added a little sound effect to the bumping of the head. It's pretty awesome.

maxmordon
02-25-2008, 12:25 AM
in my opinion Twister was one of the worst movies ever. Of all time. It seemed to me like they chased one tornado all over the place, while it was making right angle moves, etc etc. Also, the visibility they had up close to the twisters was too damn much to be believed. Stupid stupid movie.

A parody from this blog (http://moviesbytheminute.blogspot.com/2005/08/twister.html)

Starring: Hillbilly Tornado Chasers, Hillbilly Scientists, Pepsi can shards, special FX, some British guy trying to sound like a hillbilly, and other disturbing things
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Bill Paxton and Jami Gertz are in civilization.)

JAMI GERTZ
We're so in love. We should get married right away.

BILL PAXTON
Okay... D'oh! I just remembered I'm still married to my ex-wife, the hillbilly tornado chaser.

JAMI GERTZ
Oh well. I guess we could just move to Utah.

BILL PAXTON
No, it's not a problem. She just has to sign the final divorce papers. Say, let's take a week off work to drive down and watch her sign them in person. I'm sure that won't be awkward.

(Bill Paxton and Jami Gertz arrive in Hillbilly Country.)

HILLBILLY TORNADO CHASER 1
Yeee-haw! We chase tarnados!

HELEN HUNT
Hi, Bill. Here're the papers you want. I just have to sign my name to them to make the divorce official. Anyone have a pen? Okay, here's an "H"... And now an "E"...

HILLBILLY TORNADO CHASER 2
Pack up yar saddles, ladies! My Chevy's satellite imaging's telling me we got a big'un comin'!

AUDIENCE
You'd think if he has a satellite imager, he could afford to buy some teeth.

(The Hillbillys, Helen Hunt, Bill Paxton, and Jami Gertz all drive into the tornado.)

JAMI GERTZ (to Bill Paxton)
What are we still doing here? This tornado hasn't rekindled the love between you and your ex-wife, has it?

BILL PAXTON
Er...hey look, a flying cow!

HILLBILLY COW
MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE YER ASS I'M COMIN' THRU! YEEEEEE-HAW!
(flies by)

HELEN HUNT
Look over there! It's Evil Tornado Scientist Guy!

EVIL TORNADO SCIENTIST GUY
Muhahahahahahahaha!!!! I've stolen the idea for your Tornado Predictor Thingofmajig and will use it to profit from science!

EVERYONE ELSE
Noooooooooooo!!!

JAMI GERTZ
You do realize that your "Tornado Predictor" machine is nothing more than an oversized trashcan filled with miniature snow-globes, right?

(Pause)

HELEN HUNT AND BILL PAXTON
Yeeeeeeeeeeee-haw!!!

(Repeat three times with different tornados.)

JAMI GERTZ
That's it, I'm outta here.
(leaves)

(Repeat two more times.)

BILL PAXTON
Oh no, look! It's the biggest, baddest tornado of them all!

BAD TORNADO
Whooooooooooooooooooshhh!!!!!!!!!!!

EVIL TORNADO SCIENTIST GUY
I saw it first! I'm gonna capture it, cage it up in my basement, and charge ten bucks a head to see it! Hahahahahaha, later, suckers!
(dies)

BILL PAXTON
Quick, we need to make peace with the tornado. Put the trashca—I mean, Tornado Predictor in it's path and let's see what happens.

(They do, but they almost die.)

HELEN HUNT
Did it work?

HILLBILLY TORNADO CHASER 3
All I kin see are them Pepsi cans we put in thar flyin' 'bout.

HELEN HUNT
That means it's working!

BILL PAXTON, HELEN HUNT, AND THE HILLBILLIES
Hoooooray!!!!

PEPSI CEO STEVEN S. REINEMUND
Hoooooray!!!!

BILL PAXTON
Phew...well, that was fun, huh? All right, time to go back to civilization with my fiancee—hey, where is she?

HELEN HUNT
She cursed your name and took off like two days ago.

BILL PAXTON
Hmm...that might put a damper on our wedding. Oh well, guess I'll just stay here.

HELEN HUNT
Glad to have ya back, cowboy.

EVERYONE
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAW!!!!

(They all go home and vote Republican.)

Moon Wolf
02-25-2008, 12:26 AM
'Doctor Who' has a fair number but the two I can think of right now, one from the classic series, one from the new;

In the episode 'The Chase', right back in the 60s with William Hartnell, the MCs are being chased through time and space by a group of Daleks. They land in what seems to be Dracula's Castle but which turns out to be a House of Horrors with androids in. In the basement they go down and find Frankenstein's laboratory and in the background is an archway, where the Dalek 'prop' can clearly be seen, sitting in the shadows, waiting to be trundled on later. Only the Daleks don't arrive in the building for another couple of scenes.

In the new, the episode 'The Shakespeare Code' - minor thing but they showed a view of Shakespearean London and the Globe Theatre was on the wrong side of London Bridge, but was in the right place in another shot. Think they'd just reversed the graphic.

<snip>

AH! I love Doctor Who... lol, off topic.

There was one I was trying to think of but I lost it. ><

EDIT: Wait, I remember! It's not really an error, but whatever...

In the first Harry Poter movie, when Ron's getting bucked off his Knight that gets stabbed by a Queen, if you look closely, you can tell it's a stunt double.

The funny thing is, in the next scene when he's on the ground and the rocks are getting blown at him, his face gets scratched by one of the boulders, for real. His face flinches, and you can still see it at the end of the movie scene.

Must have hurt. ^^

inkkognito
02-25-2008, 12:59 AM
I'll toss in a HUGE book continuity gap. In the V.C. Andrews "Heaven" series, a character named Troy dies at the end of a book. He rides a horse into the ocean, and they recover and bury his body. But all of a sudden in the next book it is discovered that he is alive. Suddenly they're saying that his body was never recovered, even though it was very plainly stated in the previous book that it was. I wonder if it had anything to do with V.C. Andrews dying around that time and a ghost writer taking over. But you'd think the ghost writer would at least stick with the "facts" that were already established in the earlier books.

DWSTXS
02-25-2008, 12:59 AM
another crap movie that absolutely sucked. Seriously sucked. I mean, by the end of this thing, I was practically slumped over in the corner, head down on chest, vomit running down, glazed look in my eyes, wanting to swallow the barrel of a .45 ACP.

Forrest Gump.

Plus, for a year or two afterwards, we're all subjected to the total ass-whip of having to listen to morons running around repeating stupid phrases like 'Life is like a box of chocolates'
arghhhhh. It makes me want to stab their eyeballs with toothpicks.

nevada
02-25-2008, 03:32 AM
http://www.moviemistakes.com/

childeroland
02-25-2008, 05:20 AM
I've never made it through more than the first 20 minutes or so of Gump.

Speaking of classic bloopers: anyone remember the famous one in Meet Me in St Louis during the party scene when Tootie's shoes keep changing colors?

moviemistakes is a great website.

another crap movie that absolutely sucked. Seriously sucked. I mean, by the end of this thing, I was practically slumped over in the corner, head down on chest, vomit running down, glazed look in my eyes, wanting to swallow the barrel of a .45 ACP.

Forrest Gump.

Plus, for a year or two afterwards, we're all subjected to the total ass-whip of having to listen to morons running around repeating stupid phrases like 'Life is like a box of chocolates'

ChaosTitan
02-25-2008, 05:32 AM
There's a scene in Troy, when Hector stops Helen from sneaking out of the city and giving herself back to the Greeks. During the conversation, the POV changes from one to the other. On Helen, her hair is pulled back from her face at the sides. On Hector (looking at the back of Helen's head), her hair is obviously down.

ChunkyC
02-25-2008, 08:51 PM

Forrest Gump.

I lived through all the times depicted in that movie, and I think it's a fantastic film. I'd just like to make the point that just because one doesn't like a particular movie, it doesn't mean it's bad. Gump won the best picture Oscar, after all, so it can't very well suck. You just didn't like it, which is entirely your perogative. Also, I bet you've repeated phrases from movies you do like, but that doesn't make you a moron just because you might have done so within earshot of someone who didn't like it. :)

On to some bloopers I've spotted:

Jurassic Park

Nedry is trying to get to the dock and crashes the jeep. When he climbs out and slides down to the road, there's a direction sign with an arrow. It's shown a couple of times more while he runs the cable around the tree and meets the dilophosaur (dunno if I spelled that right), and each time you see the sign, the arrow is pointing a different way and then back again to where it was when no one or no thing in the scene went anywhere near it.

Star Trek II: the Wrath of Khan

In the climax battle scene, after the Enterprise is banged up by Khan's first volley of phaser fire, Kirk goes to see the wounded. A young kid grabs Kirk's jacket and leaves a bloody hand-print behind. In subsequent scenes, the shape of the stain shifts back and forth between what we saw the kid do and a smaller, less defined shape.

writerterri
02-25-2008, 09:27 PM
I was watching a TV movie, which I can't stand because of all the mess ups, and a woman fetched dinner from the oven with a pair of oven mits and brought it to the table then set it down. She then took off the mits and fixed the glass baking dish with her bare hands.

Duh.

I was watching a "mid evil" movie, can't remember the name, and a guy was wearing a digital watch in a scene.

Oops!

In one of my books I have a teen boy who takes off his suit of armor real fast and is faced by a teen girl while he is in his boxers.

And someone complained that it would take to long to get a suit of armor off. So I left it out.

I'm putting it back in! Who cares! :tongue

rosebud1981
02-25-2008, 09:49 PM
Déjà vu.

Future Denzel Washington travels 4 days back in time to prevent a bomb that killed hundreds of people. Future Denzel is killed in the explosion, but prevents it from harming anybody else.
Then Original Denzel arrives on the scene, gets the girl and the credits roll to a happy ending. :Wha:

If the disaster has been averted, then Original Denzel now has no reason to travel back in time 4 days later, so how can Future Denzel have been on the scene to stop the bomb?

As Doc Brown would say, this is a paradox that could destroy the space-time continuum!

writerterri
02-25-2008, 11:48 PM
Déjà vu.

Future Denzel Washington travels 4 days back in time to prevent a bomb that killed hundreds of people. Future Denzel is killed in the explosion, but prevents it from harming anybody else.
Then Original Denzel arrives on the scene, gets the girl and the credits roll to a happy ending. :Wha:

If the disaster has been averted, then Original Denzel now has no reason to travel back in time 4 days later, so how can Future Denzel have been on the scene to stop the bomb?

As Doc Brown would say, this is a paradox that could destroy the space-time continuum!

I had a problem with that too.

Which is why I don't watch soaps. They insult intelligent people and entertain the rest. :D

brainstrains
02-26-2008, 12:37 AM
Or like, in Raiders of the Lost Ark, when they're in that underground chamber and they have to escape... Indy grunts and groans to push that big, heavy cement block onto the ground, and then you can see the shadow of it bouncing away like a beach ball.

childeroland
02-26-2008, 01:15 AM
I was watching a "mid evil" movie, can't remember the name, and a guy was wearing a digital watch in a scene.
:tongue

Was it Timeline?

zahra
02-26-2008, 02:26 AM
In numerous films and TV shows, I've seen Catholic characters cross themselves with their left hand. I'm not one myself, but I'm pretty sure it's wrong.

Dr Who, the 'werewolf' episode. The Doctor introduces Queen Vic to Rose(as in, 'Rose, this is Queen Vic') first, rather than the other way round. Queen Vic would have frosted over in an instant, social etiquette being that you intro the inferior/younger to the superior/older first.

zahra
02-26-2008, 02:32 AM
Eek, that was really picky, wasn't it? Right up there with digital watches on Roman Generals...:o

Jcomp
02-26-2008, 02:44 AM
It's not a plot hole so much as an "egregious error resulting in cosmic cataclysm," but flying around the planet until it spins backwards will not reverse time, it will destroy the world. Thanks Superman.

childeroland
02-26-2008, 02:58 AM
Yeah, that nearly ruined Superman for me. (Still better than Bryan Singer's trainwreck, though.)

It's not a plot hole so much as an "egregious error resulting in cosmic cataclysm," but flying around the planet until it spins backwards will not reverse time, it will destroy the world. Thanks Superman.

dgiharris
02-26-2008, 09:49 AM
but flying around the planet until it spins backwards will not reverse time, it will destroy the world. Thanks Superman.

LOL hiliarious. So true, but it is one of those things that is soooo wrong that you don't mind it. Wierd how that happens.

Another famous ending that is a huge plot hole but is accepted becuase it makes the same wierd sort of sense is the ending for Jaws. Remember when Jaws has the oxygen tank in its mouth and the MC shots it and the tank explodes. Shooting an oxygen tank will not make it explode like a stick of dynamite. The air just gushes out. Sorry :)

But the audience didn't mind. Suspense of disbelief.

.Mel

William Haskins
02-26-2008, 09:55 PM
heard this NPR report on the way into work last week. interesting stuff right in line with the discussion.

about 7 minutes long.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=19201451&ft=1&f=1008

mmurphy
02-26-2008, 10:04 PM
In Congo, the boulders float in the cave water. It's awesome.

I'm Catholic and there may be a rule about crossing with your left hand, but I think it's ignored. Most people just use their handiness.

It might be more important in like a Medieval movie but in modern times, crossing with your left hand wouldn't be abnormal.

Jersey Chick
02-26-2008, 10:05 PM
In the original Star Wars - after the Death Star blows up and Luke and Han return, when Luke sees Leia, he yells out "Carrie!" instead of "Leia".

In Titanic - when the ship is leaving Cherbourg, I believe the sun is setting in the wrong direction. It's sinking into the east instead of the west. I remember hearing that, when Cameron shot the scene, he mirrored the ship, but not the background (or vice versa)

In Pretty Woman - right after Richard Gere brings Julia Roberts back to his hotel suite, he's sitting in a chair - in one shot, he's wearing a tie, in the next shot it's gone, and then it's back again, only loosened. (I think that's the way it goes. It's definitely scene with a tie/no tie/tie or no tie/loose tie/no tie. It's been a while and I'd have to go rewatch the scene to be 100% certain.)

Gravity
02-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Another famous ending that is a huge plot hole but is accepted becuase it makes the same wierd sort of sense is the ending for Jaws. Remember when Jaws has the oxygen tank in its mouth and the MC shots it and the tank explodes. Shooting an oxygen tank will not make it explode like a stick of dynamite. The air just gushes out. Sorry :) But the audience didn't mind. Suspense of disbelief.

It probably would have sent the shark rocketing backwards toward Nova Scotia, though, so the effect is the same: goodbye, Bruce. :D

maestrowork
02-26-2008, 11:36 PM
Just pick any thriller -- any -- and you can find all kinds of plot holes and inconsistencies. There's a reason why those plots move so fast!

childeroland
02-26-2008, 11:42 PM
In Revenge of the Sith (before Lucas fixed it on DVD) Padme calls Anakin "Hayden" during that first scene in their apartment, out on the balcony.

In the original Star Wars - after the Death Star blows up and Luke and Han return, when Luke sees Leia, he yells out "Carrie!" instead of "Leia".

childeroland
02-26-2008, 11:48 PM
Oh, that poster is only one of many, many things going against that movie.

Oh, well, if we're just talking about stuff that ruins the movie... how about the poster for Superman 3?

http://www.filmcynic.com/movies/worst-posters/superman-3.jpg

You don't even need to actually watch the film to know that it's bad.

EDIT:

Some more fun movie posters for your viewing pleasure. http://www.filmcynic.com/movies/worst-posters/

ChaosTitan
02-27-2008, 12:27 AM
Anytime someone in a movie shoots a lock (especially a big-ass padlock) with a handgun, and it actually breaks (or destroys) the lock.

Sorry, no.

dgiharris
02-27-2008, 01:00 AM
My favorite Fight Scene Plot Holes,

1) Punching someone in the face once is enough to knock them out indefinitely

2) Hitting the hero on the head with a metal pipe, board, etc somehow doesn't kill him, merely phases him for a few seconds

3) Whenever someone hits someone else in the head with the bottle and the bottle shatters... in real life, bottles do not shatter--they split your head wide open

4) The fact that people die instantly from a single gunshot or stab wound to the body. In real life, most of the time it takes several hours to days to die from these wounds (minus the heart and major arteries of course)

5) Underwater scenes: I love how people can hold their breath underwater for minutes while fighting, swimming, etc. Average person can barely hold their breath underwater for a minute while doing NOTHING.

6) Chase scenes: I love how the hero is able to sprint for a full five minutes after a criminal. In real life, the average person can only sprint for 20 seconds. Don't believe me? try it.

7) Back-handing someone. In real life, when you back hand someone in teh face really hard, you run a serious risk of breaking your hand.

8) Punching someone normally doesn't come with sound effects.

Gotta love those fight scenes though. Able to break all these rules and we let it slide

Mel...

ChunkyC
02-27-2008, 01:31 AM
Ooo, thought of another one from Independence Day. This one's really picky....

Usually on a radar screen or some other graphical representation like that, the image is presented as if you were up in the air looking down, as in looking at a map. GPS systems in cars do that, etc.

So, in the movie when the President is about to give the order to nuke the alien ship hovering over Houston, we see a computer display with a triangle representing the B-2 bomber moving toward the top of the display and the outline of the alien ship. Then the Pres gives the order to 'nuke the bastards' and we see the 'real' bomber fire off the nuke and bank hard as it turns to get away from the blast. Then we go back to the computer display and see the triangle moving in the opposite direction.

Cassie88
02-27-2008, 01:54 AM
I love finding mistakes in food and drink scenes. Ah, "the continuity of peas."

I guess they really mean it when they say to suspend belief.

Jersey Chick
02-27-2008, 01:57 AM
Or how about the movies that take place in a major city - yet the hero can always find a parking place right in front of the building he needs to go into. I live in the 'burbs and have to lap the block a zillion times to find any empty parking spot. :D

DWSTXS
02-27-2008, 02:20 AM
I was told years ago to watch for scenes with guns, and count the shots. I saw a Steven Seagall movie where he shot (with a handgun) 217 times before they showed him reloading. Even if he did reload, he'd have to be carrying 15-20 clips with him at the time.

Also. Guns with silencers. The way I understand it, revolvers can't use 'silencers' very well because the sound comes back through the bullet's chamber. or something along those lines.

ANY movie with the hero getting shot, and shrugging it off, especially those where they're shot in the shoulder. They would be laid up for a week, minimum.

DWSTXS
02-27-2008, 02:23 AM
The final scene of the Green Berets with John Wayne, had him looking East at the setting sun. That was a very famous movie mistake.

maestrowork
02-27-2008, 02:33 AM
Ooo, thought of another one from Independence Day. This one's really picky....

Usually on a radar screen or some other graphical representation like that, the image is presented as if you were up in the air looking down, as in looking at a map. GPS systems in cars do that, etc.

Not to mention they use a Mac to upload a virus to the alien ship. Ugh, really?

Reminds of me Live Free and Die Hard.... really, he disabled the security systems and rig up a supercomputer or something with an USB device. Really?

Not to mention National Treasure -- they break into the Buckingham Palace with a contraption made from an iPod, a Palm pilot and some silly cell phone thingies. Really?

ChaosTitan
02-27-2008, 02:41 AM
they break into the Buckingham Palace with a contraception

A contraception, huh? :roll:

maestrowork
02-27-2008, 02:44 AM
oops, Freudian slip. I wonder what was on my mind... ;)

DWSTXS
02-27-2008, 03:55 AM
On almost ALL movies and t v shows that feature any computer use...the cops, scientists, whomever it is trying to solve whatever mystery they're up against...they will input whatever info into the computer, and suddenly there's a software program already into the computer, and it not only solves their problem, but it will do so as if it was a program specifically designed to do exactly what they're trying to accomplish.

That wasn't explained very well, but I'm sure you get the idea.

ALSO, on CSI, Criminal Minds etc etc, always seem to have one wundergirl working their main computer and if they ask for a job history, or criminal background, or the names of everyone someone knew in the sixth grade 30 years ago...for some reason these computers spit out the info within, literally, a couple of seconds. THAT baffles me to no end.

Jersey Chick
02-27-2008, 04:45 AM
Oh, Maestro - you just reminded me of another one :D

In Die Hard II - Bruce Willis is on a pay phone, supposedly in Washington, DC (Dulles Airport I think??) only the phone booth reads Pacific Bell.

ChunkyC
02-27-2008, 04:48 AM
ALSO, on CSI, Criminal Minds etc etc, always seem to have one wundergirl working their main computer and if they ask for a job history, or criminal background, or the names of everyone someone knew in the sixth grade 30 years ago...for some reason these computers spit out the info within, literally, a couple of seconds. THAT baffles me to no end.
Yeah, no kidding!

And they're always typing away like unix geeks at the command line for everything they do, even though it's a graphical user interface on the screen. "Lemme check my email clacketyclacketyclacketyclack", then a graphical window pops up.

I also love the "image enhancement" software that magically turns a 72 dpi 100 by 100 pixel security camera image into a 42" widescreen high definition closeup of the suspect's distinctive nose hair weave.

JLCwrites
02-27-2008, 04:53 AM
Mr. Turkey and I watched Live Free Die Hard. We were laughing during the entire movie. Mr. Turkey is a programmer, so by default I know a few things about how the internet works. That movie was just laughable. :ROFL:

DWSTXS
02-27-2008, 05:23 AM
I'm watching a show right now. THey are trying to trace a phone call from a cell phone. A pre-paid cell phone. OKay, here he goes. Boom, in less than 5 seconds he has traced the call through one of ten cell towers, and now, hold on. Okay, now he's decided that it came through one specific tower, they just flashed on screen ALL of the calls coming through that one tower. And boom, he just stated as a fact, that it was routed through a company in North Africa.

HOW do they do this? When they can't even get my stupid little cell phone bill correct?

ChaosTitan
02-27-2008, 07:43 AM
In Die Hard II - Bruce Willis is on a pay phone, supposedly in Washington, DC (Dulles Airport I think??) only the phone booth reads Pacific Bell.

There's a similar blooper in an episode of The West Wing. The season two opener "In the Shadow of Two Gunmen." During one of the flashbacks, Josh is on a Verizon pay phone in New York City. Only at the time the flashback was set, those pay phones weren't Verizon yet.

maestrowork
02-27-2008, 09:07 AM
And they're always typing away like unix geeks at the command line for everything they do, even though it's a graphical user interface on the screen. "Lemme check my email clacketyclacketyclacketyclack", then a graphical window pops up.

I always just love to laugh at the computer "user interfaces" in movies. They're ridiculous.

In Jurassic Park: As the velociraptor tries to get into the control room, Lex said... oh, this is Unix, I know this.. Then she just moused over a flying map of the supposedly file system, like it's some kind of flight simulator. I had to laugh. (However, the rest of the Sun systems did look authentic).

Mr Flibble
02-27-2008, 03:53 PM
In Jurassic Park: As the velociraptor tries to get into the control room, Lex said... oh, this is Unix, I know this.. Then she just moused over a flying map of the supposedly file system, like it's some kind of flight simulator. I had to laugh. (However, the rest of the Sun systems did look authentic).

Yeah, when I watched that I was a Unix Admin Manager, and I wondered why my unix system didn't look like that. I actually asked my boss if we could get one :D

As for my own contribution:

In Pirates of teh Carribean 1, when Jack is trying to escape near the start, I find it pretty incredible that those guns can fire more than once without re loading

DaddyCat
02-27-2008, 04:05 PM
I always just love to laugh at the computer "user interfaces" in movies. They're ridiculous.

And then there's the text console screens that suddenly pop up giant 72-point font "SYSTEM ERROR" messages. Anyone who's used a PC lately knows that error messages are standard dialog boxes that read:

"An error occured. Reason Code: 00085632476AF90000023428CCF000023A"

and a link to a Microsoft web page that will explain that no such error exists.

Priene
02-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Not to mention National Treasure -- they break into the Buckingham Palace with a contraption made from an iPod, a Palm pilot and some silly cell phone thingies. Really?

Aaron Barschak (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/3012206.stm) got into Windsor Castle by dressing up as Osama Bin Laden. Michael Fagan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Fagan_incident) broke into Buckingham Palace twice by climbing up a drainpipe.

IPods, Palm Pilots and Cell phones seem like technological overkill.

JimmyB27
02-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Not to mention they use a Mac to upload a virus to the alien ship. Ugh, really?

Well, of course - it was a highly advanced alien civilisation they were dealing with, how is a Windows PC going to interface with that?
Plus, they were saving the world - if they'd got a fatal error, it really would have been! :p

</Windows bash>

:D

rosebud1981
02-27-2008, 06:31 PM
I always laugh at how easily people's computer passwords are guessed in movies. Just as an example I was watching Along Came A Spider with Morgan Freeman recently and he needed to access the pc of this woman who he started to suspect. So he sits in front of her pc, thinks for a moment about their previous conversations, and then first time - first time! - guesses it correctly (I think it was something like Aces&Eights).

Now, maybe it's just me, but I was kinda of the impression that a lot of passwords contain digits, special characters like *~_ and uppercase and lowercase letters mixed up. So even in Morgan was on the right path with his guess, it could be anything from acEs_aNd_8s to aces&eights974, and he could whittle the whole night away guessing. On top of that, the suspect presumably would have more interests than just cards and might have modelled her password on her favourite place, food, pet, tv show, etc etc

Admittedly it wouldn't make for good viewing if we were to watch Morgan spend hours hammering away on they keys and getting nowhere :D

JimmyB27
02-27-2008, 06:41 PM
I always laugh at how easily people's computer passwords are guessed in movies. Just as an example I was watching Along Came A Spider with Morgan Freeman recently and he needed to access the pc of this woman who he started to suspect. So he sits in front of her pc, thinks for a moment about their previous conversations, and then first time - first time! - guesses it correctly (I think it was something like Aces&Eights).

Now, maybe it's just me, but I was kinda of the impression that a lot of passwords contain digits, special characters like *~_ and uppercase and lowercase letters mixed up. So even in Morgan was on the right path with his guess, it could be anything from acEs_aNd_8s to aces&eights974, and he could whittle the whole night away guessing. On top of that, the suspect presumably would have more interests than just cards and might have modelled her password on her favourite place, food, pet, tv show, etc etc

Admittedly it wouldn't make for good viewing if we were to watch Morgan spend hours hammering away on they keys and getting nowhere :D
I thought exactly the same thing watching Superman Returns the other day. They tried Lois's husband's name - nope. "Try 'Superman'" Bingo! Just like that. How stupid is Lois Lane?

mmurphy
02-27-2008, 07:18 PM

That was Irix running on SGI. That file system was an experimental files ystem SGI developed for the movie. It's included on later Irix versions as a cool though useless demo.

mmurphy
02-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Well, of course - it was a highly advanced alien civilisation they were dealing with, how is a Windows PC going to interface with that?
Plus, they were saving the world - if they'd got a fatal error, it really would have been! :p

</Windows bash>

It calls for suspension of disbelief. If you are willing to accept an alien invasion of Earth with super duper city destroying lasers, why aren't you willing to accept a mac virus infecting an alien ship?

Sometimes it's best to turn off in the brain in these kinds of movies.

dgiharris
02-27-2008, 07:58 PM
Since we are on the topic of Independence day.

Whenever there is a movie depicted fights between Modern Day Jets, the biggest plot holes are the fight sequence.

Typically, in real life pilots fire the missiles 20 - 40 miles away from the target. Usually, they don't even see the plane they are shooting at. It's all done by radar or IR seeking missiles.

And speaking of realism. If you were to drop a nuclear bomb or fire a nuclear missile (or any missile) at a giant alien aircraft 10 miles in diameter. You would attack the top or bottom for maximum impact and effectiveness, not the side or edge for minimal impact/effectiveness. And you definitely don't fire the nuclear missile from only a mile or so away.

Mel

mmurphy
02-27-2008, 08:32 PM
Since we are on the topic of Independence day.

Whenever there is a movie depicted fights between Modern Day Jets, the biggest plot holes are the fight sequence.

Typically, in real life pilots fire the missiles 20 - 40 miles away from the target. Usually, they don't even see the plane they are shooting at. It's all done by radar or IR seeking missiles.

And speaking of realism. If you were to drop a nuclear bomb or fire a nuclear missile (or any missile) at a giant alien aircraft 10 miles in diameter. You would attack the top or bottom for maximum impact and effectiveness, not the side or edge for minimal impact/effectiveness. And you definitely don't fire the nuclear missile from only a mile or so away.

Mel

A Navy pilot friend of mine also ripped that to shreds.

PattiTheWicked
02-27-2008, 08:51 PM
Here's what I want to know. How come in a movie, whenever someone gets knocked unconcscious, they wake up at the exact moment that someone comes into the room looking for them?

childeroland
02-27-2008, 10:47 PM
Bill Gates rules their computer systems also. His fingers are everywhere.

</Windows bash>

ChunkyC
02-28-2008, 01:29 AM
Here's what I want to know. How come in a movie, whenever someone gets knocked unconcscious, they wake up at the exact moment that someone comes into the room looking for them?
:roll: That's a great one!

Monkey
02-28-2008, 01:41 AM
"Stardust"

The main character tries to go get a fallen star for a girl he wants to impress (Victoria). To do so, he crosses into a magical realm, where stars are actually very like people. He finds the star, but she's a beautiful woman, and he falls in love with her.

After they go through hell and high water together, they spend the night in an inn together. They make love. In the morning, he sneaks out, pausing only to tell the doorman, basically, to tell the star that he "has gone home to talk to Victoria, because he has finally realized who he truly loves."

Of course the star figures this means her man still loves Victoria, and terrible things ensue.

But, really. That's SOOOO stupid and totally not believable. Why in the HELL would he sneak out, rather than just telling her, "I think I ought to go explain to ol' girl that I've found someone else"...heck, send Victoria a friggin' letter. Go *together* to explain to Victoria. Anything. But not sneak off to go talk to some other girl.

And if you were going to sneak off, why would you only leave a cryptic, easily misunderstood message with the doorman? Why not say, "Tell _____ that I love her, and I'm going to go explain that to Victoria and be right back"?

Obviously, the only reason for this foolishness is to progress the plot, such as it was.

Stacia Kane
02-28-2008, 02:02 AM
My biggest plot hole is in the movie Ghost (which I disliked anyway.) So Sam learns how to manipulate physical objects. Why does he still need Whoopi? Why is he doing dumb stuff like moving picture frames or whatever? Why doesn't he just write Demi Moore a freaking note?

Serenity
02-28-2008, 03:24 PM

In a similar vein... how come when a person calls someone into the room to see something plotty-important on a tv newscast, the anchor/reporter always starts the story over as soon as the other person comes into the room to see it?

ChunkyC
02-28-2008, 07:12 PM
In a similar vein... how come when a person calls someone into the room to see something plotty-important on a tv newscast, the anchor/reporter always starts the story over as soon as the other person comes into the room to see it?
TIVO :D

onlyhere
02-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Titanic: When Rose is arriving in New York half asleep, she looks at the Statue of Liberty, which is the same colour as now (green). But if you visit the statue of liberty, you'll find a plate telling you that the original color was brown, and it took over 35 years for it to change colour. The statue of liberty was placed there in 1886, so in 1912 it should have still been partly brown. Also, the flame was replaced in 1986 (for its 100th anniversary) with a gold flame. The film shows the Statue holding a torch with a gold flame, not the original

My huge beef with Titanic was Rose not moving her big butt over after that I was so disgusted I couldn't watch anymore.

mmurphy
02-28-2008, 08:27 PM
My beef was they didn't get to the sinking part fast enough.

robeiae
02-28-2008, 08:38 PM
My beef was that they actually released that titanic piece of crap.

Jersey Chick
02-28-2008, 08:43 PM
i liked Titanic... :o

ChunkyC
02-28-2008, 08:55 PM
Me too. :)

ETA: I also quite liked Rose's butt.

childeroland
02-29-2008, 04:42 AM
In Titanic, Rose talks to the captain, I think (don't remember who) about Freud and his ideas about male preoccupation with size, though it wasn't till a few years later that Freud published his work on this.