Just heard from someone who was in 3rd grade with me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
And believe me, that was a long time ago. She happened to be googling around, saw a mention of my book and went to my web site. It was such fun hearing from her because I hadn't thought about her in years, and she had all sorts of memories of elementary school that I had forgotten. Have you ever heard from anyone out of the blue?

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
I hear from people many years later. A guy I worked with several years ago, who I was somewhat involved with, called 4-years later to apologize for something work-related. Weird that a guy would apologize, let alone, years later. Although, he’s not the first guy to apologize years later for something I forgot about. :Shrug:

It’s nice you reminisced with an old friend. Did you tell her to buy your book? :D

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How neat!

I've never heard from anybody going back that far, but a woman in my critique group recently reconnected with her best friend who moved away in eighth grade. They're in their early 60s now. I found her and feel all warm and fuzzy about it.

Maryn, fan of zabasearch

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Usually I'm the one reaching back that far, sometimes on Classmates.com or things like that, often with sad results.

In the early days of the Internet I tried to find a girl I used to know, but her married name was so common it took weeks. When I finally reached one of her relatives I found out she'd killed herself seven years before. This happened again with another woman, so I decided to give it up.

Anyone googling my name is apt to find me in the top five. Recently, I've been contacted by someone I hadn't heard from since 1984 and a week later by someone I hadn't heard from since 1974. Usually this sparks a flurry of clever emails. But the 1974 person and I are planning to meet for coffee.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
And believe me, that was a long time ago. She happened to be googling around, saw a mention of my book and went to my web site. It was such fun hearing from her because I hadn't thought about her in years, and she had all sorts of memories of elementary school that I had forgotten. Have you ever heard from anyone out of the blue?

Yeah my friend from kindergarten through the 6th grade. We met for lunch and had a good time. Also my 2 best friend from high school... we now email daily and call each other. Went to visit one of them a couple of weeks ago.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
I hear from people many years later. A guy I worked with several years ago, who I was somewhat involved with, called 4-years later to apologize for something work-related. Weird that a guy would apologize, let alone, years later. Although, he’s not the first guy to apologize years later for something I forgot about. :Shrug:

It’s nice you reminisced with an old friend. Did you tell her to buy your book? :D

Isn't that true, one of my ex boyfriends kept appoligizing.. for something he did he even wrote an entire scene on how he would make it up to me and told me about it. However his wife found his emails.. and he stopped emailing me. :) She was really pissed...

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, after I was married a year an old boyfriend called me and asked if I wanted to go out. I told him my hubby frowned on that. :D

SmartAsh

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, why is it that the old boyfriends always seem to call a couple years later? It shouldn't take that long to realize that I was the best they'd ever have :)

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I'm pretty high in the google chain but nobody has contacted me yet from my past. However, I did google a few teachers from thirty years ago and they were thrilled to hear from me.

I'm still trying to find my best friend from Mallorca in 1974. *sob*

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've changed both my first and last names since my youth (married, and dropped a nickname I'd always detested in favor of my real name). I'm sure legions of people have tried to find me and failed.

They have, right?

Maryn, who's not paying ClassMates a dime to see who signed her yearbook

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Last year my high school boyfriend sent me an email and I about died at the computer. It had been 30 years since I'd talked to him and he did me sooooo wrong back then. He cheated on me with my best friend. Needless to say, I finally had the chance to rip his arse a good one and I did. It felt good to be able to tell someone off 30 years later that you no longer even thought about. I havne't heard from him since.:D

MTNester

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mylifeyourewelcometoit.blogspot.com
Last Labor Day I found out through a relative still living back home a childhood friend's brother lost a daughter in a motorcycle accident. I responded my sympathy to the guest book and attached my email.

A few weeks later the friend saw my response and emailed me. She ended up living a couple of hours away from me now. About 2 weeks from then her brother and sister were coming down for a visit. (Her brother needed to get away from home for awhile.)

I had the opportunity to see all of them. It was wonderful. Even under the circumstances which were heartbreaking we were able to reminisce and enjoy our visit.

She and I have keep in contact since then. Even gotten together a few times. Hard with life and the distant but we both feel in awe of our reconnection.

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
I lost touch with my best friend from grade school until she became my stepsister.

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
I was in a shoe store once buying shoes with my two girls. This voice said "Mandy?" I looked around and it was a friend from primary school whom I hadn't seen for probably close to 30 years. She looked at my kids and said "Are these your kids?"
"Yes" I said.
"I've got two girls too" she said. "But they're 16 and 18."
It was so funny, because my kids were 2 and 4 at the time. Made me feel very old.
But it was nice to see her again.

Status
Not open for further replies.