I am tired of this and you?

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Last week I was watching Madagascar in Fox and I just hate when they put too much cultural references in a kid's movie. While I love some parental bonuses here and there, sometimes is just too much ranging from Twilight Zone to Planet of the Apes; I know that having some pop culture reference on cartoons isn't new (I remember Warner Bros. shorts mentioning Humphrey Bogart or Edward G. Robinson) but MOST of the time this wasn't the core of the joke

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
If there's no reason for parents to watch kids films, those parents might actually have to read or talk to their kids. And no studio wants that.

WannabeWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Pop culture jokes can work in a satire of culture, but otherwise, they are a sign that the writers cannot come up with anything original.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Pop culture jokes can work in a satire of culture, but otherwise, they are a sign that the writers cannot come up with anything original.

That's why the first Shrek movie was so good but the second and third were rather disappointing -- pop culture for pop culture's sake.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If there's no reason for parents to watch kids films, those parents might actually have to read or talk to their kids. And no studio wants that.
Seems to me it's possible to watch films with your kids, read to them and talk to them, if one spends enough time with them.

I guess it's they hey look, aren't we so clever aspect of cultural references in kids' films that sometimes grates.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I've never minded it too much... better (to me) than the absolute boredom of the Doodle Bops...

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know that having some pop culture reference on cartoons isn't new (I remember Warner Bros. shorts mentioning Humphrey Bogart or Edward G. Robinson) but MOST of the time this wasn't the core of the joke

Just as a reference--those cartoons weren't originally aimed at kids. They were aimed at adults.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Just as a reference--those cartoons weren't originally aimed at kids. They were aimed at adults.

Quite true. While the kids' stuff was from Disney and Merry Melodies and such... is kinda funny how everything changes with the time; like for example Sherlock Holmes or Jules Verne's books were written for adults and let's me wondering if the kids from 50 years from now will be reading The Da Vince Code or, a more frightening thought, people will look at movies like Ace Ventura 2 and critizicing why they don't make good movies like that anymore...

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I don't typically write comedy films myself because it's not my normal environment. I'm more comfortable in drama and adventure films, but I do jazz it up a bit with tiny touches of humor. Straight comedy is a mystrery to me.

As for animation, it's pretty much mandatory today to make any animated feature be palateble to both the kids AND the adults. They're aiming for as many demographics as possible. And the best type of review is the "something for the whole family" kind or the "young and old alike will love it."

So I say these writers are cauight up in a hit-or-miss scenario of correctly nailing a happy medium between the two. Animated features are VERY expensive to make, and it's a tiny industry (tiny as in it's a very exclusive and closed-shop industry) where very few are allowed into the clubhouse. They are always looking to make somethig new, something never seen or done before, and yet still keep it all kiddie-friendly and still appeal to the adults. So it's hit or miss. They either succeed or they don't. I get annoyed when they fail, and delighted when they succeed. But I am unable to growl and say: "I could do better!" because I know that I probably couldn't.

Last edited: