PDA

View Full Version : A few copyright concerns...............

Alana Mortensen
02-23-2008, 03:09 AM
Hello everyone! I have just written some of a prologue for my novel "Love's Suicide" {working title} but now some questions arise for a prologue I juist finished for "Mortal Life Calls". Here are the questions..........

1. Is saying the name of an old movie a good idea or no?

2. Is saying the title of a current-ish romanti movie ok?

3. Is using channel names aka QVC, HSN, USA NETWORK, HBO, etc. a no-no?

In my prologue, the character suffers from insomnia at the same time she has weird dreams that are neither prophetic nor of past origin but neither does she have them when asleep or awake.They just seem to come on their own but later she finds the true reason for their timing. I need to say the names b/c they are one trigger of theses dreams.

Alana

Alana Mortensen
02-23-2008, 03:16 AM
please excuse my typing. new keyboard, new pc, new OS system, still getting acclimated to Windows Vista and keyboard sensitivity and size.

blacbird
02-23-2008, 03:20 AM
No problem with any of the things you mention. Titles are not copyright-protected. The names of businesses are public information just don't say something libelous about them).

There are many older threads here addressing these issues.

caw

IceCreamEmpress
02-23-2008, 03:20 AM
You can use the title of a movie, book, magazine, whatever, as long as you don't use it in a way that potentially defames it.

OK: John's favorite movie was Casablanca; he liked that more than any of Bogart's other movies, although he also loved The Maltese Falcon.

Not OK: John's favorite movie was Casablanca because of its secret pro-Nazi message.

Jersey Chick
02-23-2008, 03:59 AM
I think, as long as you don't say something really horrible about a network, they're fair game as well.

There's nothing wrong with characters talking about what was on HBO last night, or that they bought one of Esteban's guitars off QVC.

just my $0.02 :D

Alana Mortensen
02-23-2008, 05:04 AM
blacbird, IceCreamEmpress, and Jersey Chick, I will only be mentioning titles and names as they pertain to the storyline. NO DERROGATORY COMMENTS! Thanks much mates. Loads of my mind.

Hugs, Thanks again.,
Alana

Shweta
02-23-2008, 05:33 AM
I think it's been decided that copyright questions belong in story research :)

Alana Mortensen
02-27-2008, 10:00 AM
Shweta,

Thanks mate for the correction and moving of post. I will remember next timme a copyright issue pops up and consult you on other issues I may have in the future.

Alana

Maryn
03-01-2008, 07:04 PM
For what it's worth--not much--be cautious about mentioning anything that's current and likely to pass from public attention. A blockbuster movie will continue to be well-known, an appropriate thing for your characters to mention long after it's left theatres, but your mention of "Penelope" will either puzzle readers or mark your work as out of date by the time it's actually published.

Maryn, eager to see Penelope