Newbie question: market research

Lora

Hello, everybody,

I've read the pages very carefully but somehow I didn't find the answer to this question.

First, let me introduce myself. I'm basically a non-fiction writer so I have this analytical approach:cool:. I've also read a book on erotica writing which says you need to research your possible markets (publishers, etc) to death before ever starting writing. I had a look at the online e-publishers, but all I could see was that they publish quite diverse stuff -- I couldn't notice any particular preferences in style or whatever. So my question is, do you research your markets before writing? Or you just try to tell the best story you can :kiss::heart: and then look for whatever market accepts it?

And maybe you have some other advice for a newbie like myself? Or encouragement? It seems like such an awfully complicated decision to make -- to write erotica. One minute I love the idea, next minute I hate myself, but I absolutely want to try, at least.

Thank you!

Lora

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
I just wrote whatever I wanted first. But then, I knew I had readers whether or not I was published, so it's not like I was writing for a void. After I had some stories, I started researching which publisher would be best for me, and once I had an idea of the ones I liked, I simply watched them. I watched <B>Liquid Silver Books</B> for a long time before I submitted to them, just to make sure they weren't going to disappear suddenly, lol.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I write with an awareness of several specific markets that I could send the piece to. There is a range, but still plenty of stuff that would fall between the gaps or combine elements in a way that few readerships want.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
In terms of deciding to write erotica, well. I guess I just noticed that it sold better than anything else I wrote ;)

Lora

veinglory said:
In terms of deciding to write erotica, well. I guess I just noticed that it sold better than anything else I wrote ;)

:Thumbs: Thank you! And still (question to all you, ladies), do you read extensively in a particular market before you write for them, or do you just make sure before submitting that they publish stuff similar to what you've already written?

Also, I know that the market demands in mainstream romance writing are very strict -- the publishers want the ms to meet a lot of house style demands. Is it the same in erotica writing, or does it vary from one publisher to the other?

In other words, do I need to read a publisher's entire line of stuff to get some idea of what they need, or can I just write off the top of my head and then see where it fits? Online guidelines don't seem to be particularly detailed. :Shrug:

I've just discovered your forum, Emily, so maybe I'll find answers there?

Thank you ladies!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
"do you read extensively in a particular market before you write for them, or do you just make sure before submitting that they publish stuff similar to what you've already written?"

I don't spend money buying publications in order to understand the market. I do read excerpts when they are available and look at blurbs, guidelines and general website material. I sometimes browse sneakily at the book store. However I never spend money on something just for research, only if I actually want the book.

"Also, I know that the market demands in mainstream romance writing are very strict -- the publishers want the ms to meet a lot of house style demands. Is it the same in erotica writing, or does it vary from one publisher to the other?"

In my experience the book-length publishers do have quite specific needs, but no to the Harlequin category romance level ;)

"In other words, do I need to read a publisher's entire line of stuff to get some idea of what they need, or can I just write off the top of my head and then see where it fits?"

What sort of thing are you writing. If it fits into a general niche like erotic romance, spanking, BDSM etc then go ahead and write. If it is a little more quirky you may want to do a bit more research. Perhap you could give us a general idea?

"Online guidelines don't seem to be particularly detailed."

Som,e more than others. Black lace has very good guidelines because they have very specific needs. Others are more generic.

"I've just discovered your forum, Emily, so maybe I'll find answers there?"

You will find a good cross section of people here, some rather more reputably published than me. But I hope to see you over at my forum to, especially if you are in the 'erotic romance' or 'alternative sexualities' areas.

Em.

Lora

Thank you very much, Em! This is more or less what I hoped to hear :Clap:.

Yes, I'm trying to write erotic romance (I can't believe what I've just said!:faint: ) See you at your forum!

Lora

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Erotic romance is a very hot area at the moment, go ahead and write. There are publishers for almost every length and sub-genre. Currently paranormal and sci fi seem particularly in demand.

thewritemuse

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deborahboyer.com
Hi Lora

Welcome to the wacky world of erotica.

There are lots of folks here who have much more experience than me, but I think I understand your excitement/trepidation. I kind of fell into erotica, too, via -- believe it or not -- my mainstream writing. A sex scene ended up not only full blown (pun intended
icon12.gif
), but better than the rest of the manuscript, and that's the kind of sign a writer should never ignore, eh?
icon7.gif

afterdarkqt

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aphroditeunlaced.com
Chiming in as a publisher

Hi Lora,

Erotica...nothing like it (grin)! Mmmmm. With a lot of OOooOOOoo thrown in :)

Because Erotica is such a wide open lust-filled genre...it really is a good idea to investigate what a specific publisher does seek from their authors. Romantic Erotica can cover everything from Straight Contemporary to Fetish Frolics to Ancient Orgies! And there is certainly room for everyone from Quick Fix F*cklets and Paranormal Thrills to Sophisticated Earthiness.

Lust and sex and sensual emotions have no timeline or boundaries. But publishers usually do.

If you want to give a distinctively good first impression to a publisher by offering them a submission that clearly fits their needs, it would be worth the small output of purchasing and reading a few selections from their catalogs in the categories that match what era/style you are writing ~just to see what *voice* appeals to their editorial staff. It puts you a bit ahead of the game and saves some precious time for both you and the publisher.

Communicating some of your writing history and goals, etc., with the editorial staff in a submission enquiry is also a good ground breaking tool for a writer new to the genre.

Many of the current publishers offer smaller stories from authors at a lesser price. This not only presents an introduction of a specific author's style to potential readers, but also gives other writers a inexpensive way to see what the publisher is "all about."

Good luck in your erotica writing!
It's a luscious world.
:Sun:
Aphrodite Unlaced
www.aphroditeunlaced.com

Lora

Oh wow, aren't I lucky! I've just been looking at Aphrodite Unlaced site last evening! Thank you very much for your advice!

Voice, yes, sure I understand that. I'll do as you say. Thank you!

Lora