Dog Grooming jargon

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

This request is a bit short on deadline, but does anyone know where I can find the jargon behind dog grooming? Most of the information I can find requires sending away for a manual. But I'm mostly just looking for a breakdown of important terms. I'm probably going to head out to the bookstore in a bit and see if I can find anything useful, but I'd also appreciate any ideas of where to start looking.

Thanks!

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Can you talk to a local groomer? They'd probably be tickled pink to have a writer ask them questions. Puma

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Good ideas, guys, thanks.

I'm currently watching some YouTube videos in place of interviewing a groomer. I just watched a five minute clip of someone dyeing their dog pink.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Pink? That had to have been a poodle - poor thing. Puma

MTNester

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mylifeyourewelcometoit.blogspot.com
I have three dogs and an excellent groomer. Yes, I recently dyed one of my dogs (Bichon Frise) with a green mohawk, pink hearts and bracelets.

Anyway, she loves talking about grooming. If I can be of help relaying ?s let me know. She would love helping a writer get the accurate picture of her profession.

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
I guess you're talking about some of the different "styles" that dogs can have?

The most recognisable one to the layman would have to be the poodle's "lion clip", so named because the dog ends up sort of looking like one. It's been around for a long time and was designed to keep the dog warm after he was splashing around in ponds hunting waterfowl.

If you notice, the hair covers the important organs (heart and lungs) but leaves as much hair as possible short so the dog dries quickly.