• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

If ever I needed advice, it's now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
Hi again all,

I come to you in my hour of need.

I have to apply to graduate school. I've decided to apply for a master's degree in publishing in three UK universities (King's College London, Oxford Brookes and City University London) and I need to write a personal statement.
This is the hardest thing I've ever had to write. And I've experimented a lot with my writing... I'm just incapable to write about myself competently.

I know it's not a question about publishable work but think of all the benefits you'll get once I'm a top editor at your dream(tm) publishing house? ;)

I'd appreciate some tips on how to go about doing this that I won't find on about.com or so. Those are not helping. I know I have to find a hook to grab them at the first paragraph, anyone who writes knows that :)

And if I could see examples of succesful statements, it'd be awesome too, to give me an idea.

payitforward

Muppet Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nancyhigh.wordpress.com
Hi Thump,

If you can wait till this weekend, I can help you. I've taught resumes/cover letters/personal statements to college students for a while now. If you want, PM me.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Don't write it about you. Right it about "John" or "James" or "Margaret".

Take your fears and self perceptions out of the equation. Take a look at your resume, and your "what I want to do five years down the road" statements and treat them as if they were someone applying for a job as... whatever.

Then help "them" write their stuff.

worked for me.

padnar

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to give a suggestion as I have gone to lotof interviews
use the SWOT ANALYSIS management technique . List your plus points
and minus points . Also give your emplyment and family background .
Best of luck
padma

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
What is a "Personal Starement"?

I would help, but I have no idea what it is. Is this a sort of resume thing?

A personal statement is a short text most universities ask for in applications to graduate programs. Basically they want you to write about who you are, what you've done and can do, why you want to go to their university and why you think they would want you.

So much harder than it sounds >_<

newshirt

Almost competint
Registered
Reaction score
I suggest pitching the university years as an important piece in a grand scheme. Lay out your ten-year plan and include the university as a necessary ingredient. As you describe the long-term plan, tell about yourself - successes, failures, goals, strengths, weaknesses, etc.

--ray

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
To be totally honest, when I had to write a "personal statement" for my college, I made one up. My fiction writing is stronger than my nonfiction. I'm bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.