Is all "of" unnecessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Is the use of the word "of" after the word "all" unnecessary?

Examples:
after all of the trouble I've been

I landed all of my weight on it

I imagined all of the birds screaming to be set free

as if I was watching all of this happen to someone else

even with all of my screw-ups lately

I closed all of the cupboard doors

They were together almost all of their free time lately.

Wishing with all of her heart that I'd say yes.

I know it's been discussed here that "couple of" is necessary (e.g. "a couple of lines" instead of "a couple lines"), so I was assuming that "all of" was necessary too, but I just read where someone said that it's not, so now I'm confused.... (no surprise there.... lol!)

:D

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not finding a clear rule in any of the grammar books I have. In each example, I think the "of" could be omitted, although I might miss it just a little in the next to last one, all of their free time.

But that's just what pleases my ear. Usually it's a perfectly good ear when it comes to English usage, but it does have its impaired moments. May I keep you company until someone who actually knows comes along?

Maryn and her ears

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think there's a right or wrong way about it, but my own style would be to omit them both, in most cases. Sometimes too many of those little words are an unnecessary thing.

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Yes.... My natural instict when I'm typing is omit the of after the word all in most cases, (usually after the word couple also), but I still don't know if that's the correct way to do it.

:Shrug:

orion_mk3

Ne Cede Malis
Registered
Reaction score
"Which ones?"

"All of them."

There are definitely times to use it and times to avoid it, but it seems to be more of a judgment call than a hard and fast rule. "All of my weight" sounds awkward to me (but then again, so does "all my weight, frankly), while "all of her heart," while a little cliché, sounds just fine.

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
I agree, there are times when it's definately necessary TO use it.

Here is the sentence where I used "all my weight":

My right hip was throbbing badly where I’d landed all my weight on it.

Does it still sound awkward?

Flay

Registered
Reaction score
My right hip was throbbing badly where I’d landed all my weight on it.

Does it still sound awkward?
No, not at all.

"All of" is customarily used before certain personal pronouns ("all of it", "all of them") & in some idiomatic phrases ("all of a sudden"). Otherwise, "of" is dead weight. I wouldn't use it in any of the examples in post #1.

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
That's a good example: "all of it," because it contrasts so nicely with "all it" as in "all it needed" -- where there's a hidden "that." Like, "all that it needed." Means a whole 'nuther thing than "all of it needed."

So, if it doesn't change the meaning either way, you don't need the "of" -- sounds like? Again, I'm someone who goes by ear. So I'll get in line behind Maryn to wait for someone who really knows to show up.

ETA: Actually, Flay sounds like a real knower. But... you didn't say "The Rule Is..." so I wasn't sure if you meant that sounds good to you, or that's the rule.

Flay

Registered
Reaction score
I'll pass along the judgment of Theodore Bernstein (no weak-kneed descriptivist):

"Except with pronouns, the of is superfluous and the careful writer may wish to omit it on that ground, but its use is well based and cannot be objected to on any other ground."

To the extent that there are rules in English grammar or usage (& I'd argue that there aren't), it isn't incorrect; but why use two words where one will do as well, or better?

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: Actually, Flay sounds like a real knower. But... you didn't say "The Rule Is..." so I wasn't sure if you meant that sounds good to you, or that's the rule.

Actually, I think orion_mk3 summed it up rather well....

There are definitely times to use it and times to avoid it, but it seems to be more of a judgment call than a hard and fast rule.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.