PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas for Potential Publishers?

inkkognito
02-22-2008, 12:15 AM
I am shopping around my manuscript, "Walt Disney World for Chickens," and have been turned down so far by Intrepid Traveler, Globe Pequot Press, Open Road Guides, Avalon Publishing and SPI Books. Any other ideas for where I can submit it? I'm not going to bother with an agent for this one because my main effort is in my self-help books. I kind of "fell into" writing this one, but it's a rather niche-y market (is niche-y even a word?!). It might be time to just toss it in a drawer, but I figured I'd toss it out for opinions first.

BTW, even though it is aimed at timid theme park goers, it has a lot of information that would be good for people with certain disabilitys such as autism, sensory integration disorder, etc.

Mumut
02-22-2008, 02:34 AM
Do you need permission to use the name Walt Disney? Is it a copyrighted name? I don't know so it is of interest to me.

cpickett
02-22-2008, 02:57 AM
I don't have ideas for specific publishers other than to keep looking at who publishes similar books by doing research on Amazon, but since as you said it's nichy (good word made up or not), have you considered subsidy or self-publishing? It could be right for this project if you have a strong market.

If it is a good fit for families with autistic kids for example, you might be able to sell it in bulk to related associations. That strategy is actually fairly common and even if mildly successful, makes more than a manuscript sittiing in a drawer.

Just my two cents.

inkkognito
02-22-2008, 03:45 AM
I believe you just have to use the proper copyright notices for Disney's trademarks and to put in the disclaimers that the book is not an official guide and is not published or endorsed by Disney. I am an expert reviewer for an unofficial Disney Cruise Line guide, and that is how they handle the names and trademarks.

I have considered using Lulu and that might be the route I eventually go. I ran through Amazon but there are only a handful of publishers who specifically handle Disney guides. I have a very popular Disney-related website with a ton of traffic, so I do have a built-in venue if I eventually opt for self-publishing.

sgunelius
02-22-2008, 07:35 PM
What's your website? I blog for b5media at www.thedisneytraveler.com (http://www.thedisneytraveler.com). I'd love to check out your site! Feel free to send me a PM if you'd prefer.

inkkognito
02-22-2008, 10:32 PM
My Disney Cruise Line site is www.castawayclub.com (http://www.castawayclub.com) (my husband does most of it, but I do the trip reports). We've done 61 Disney cruises, so we've been doing the website since 1999 and its traffic has soared.

I also do a blog, since we live in the "Disney Town" of Celebration, FL: http://celebrationfl.blogspot.com

I'll check out your site, too, since I am quite a Disney fanatic.

SHBueche
02-25-2008, 10:55 PM
You might post your message to the bulletin board forum at Travel Writers (travelwriters.com), there is a specific area for guidebooks.

scope
04-05-2008, 09:57 PM
You really know what you have to do - RESEARCH. Find out which publishers, niche market or other, have published books similar in general concept to yours.

Also, could your work be used as a "premium item" by some company, organization, or association? Google your idea and others not as specific, but similar in nature, and see what comes up.

There's really a lot you can do if you sincerely want to.