Do you consider this a backhanded slap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick L

looking for a home
Registered
Reaction score
I don't want to use the author or agents' names, because it may not be backhanded at all. I'm just curious what others think.

A pretty well-known author with eight or nine books glowingly referred to his agent at the time in his first four novels. In the acknowledgment section of his fifth novel, he thanks his new agent, saying (very close paraphrase), You have definitely taken me to the next level.

I queried his first agent last year--a very nice lady who gave me a very nice rejection. Still, does it seem that his choice of words are somewhat telling as to what he thinks of his former agent?

Just curious.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
No, I don't think so - sometimes the agents you have work great for your first few novels, but then as you grow and change as a writer, and as you either do or do not acquire a following of hard-core fans who eagerly await your next book, or perhaps as you change characters, even genres, a new agent can take you in directions you never thought possible.

This is not a slap to your former agent - just an acknowledgment that the new agent is working out very well.

PS - I had 3 consecutive agents early on - the first 2 died suddenly, always a bad sign...

Patrick L

looking for a home
Registered
Reaction score
No, I don't think so - sometimes the agents you have work great for your first few novels, but then as you grow and change as a writer, and as you either do or do not acquire a following of hard-core fans who eagerly await your next book, or perhaps as you change characters, even genres, a new agent can take you in directions you never thought possible.

This is not a slap to your former agent - just an acknowledgment that the new agent is working out very well.

PS - I had 3 consecutive agents early on - the first 2 died suddenly, always a bad sign...

Good point!

And your last line is tragic, but your delivery cracked me up. :D

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It may have been intended as a poke at the former agent, but I doubt it hurt her reputation one bit.

Mike F.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
everythingsun.blogspot.com
Sounds like the author is really happy with the new agent; not upset with the old one. The author was probably just looking for a change and happy it worked out. Of course, I don't have an agent so I could be completely wrong. :)

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
Doesn’t sound like a backhand to me, but what do I know. The kinds of rejections I get are straightforward. :D It sounds like the author has grown, and in doing so, grew away from his first agent. Maybe he has a different type of relationship with the second agent. :Shrug: Either way, it’s nice to read any acknowledgment.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
To borrow from Oscar Wilde: to have lost one agent is tragic, to have lost two smacks of carelessness. ;)

I thought I was laughing at Kate's comment...but this took my cake. (-;

Status
Not open for further replies.