has anyone EVER gotten a request mailed in their SASE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samfield

Registered
Reaction score
a few blocks from one of the world's greatest auth
I have racked up quite a few frequent-rejection points so far, and a question occurred to me: has anyone ever gotten any good news in one of their own SASE's? It seems if they ever have anything good to say, they put it in their own envelope or call (or e-mail). It's made it a lot less fun seeing my own envelopes find their way back upstream to me, but I could just be paranoid though...

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I've had 4 partial requests and a full in my SASE. In fact, it's the only way I've ever gotten a request (except in the case of e-queries, obviously!).

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
It seems if they ever have anything good to say, they put it in their own envelope or call (or e-mail).

They may call or email, but I've never had an agent use their own envelope when they had mine.

funidream

Registered
Reaction score
I ended up signing on with an agent who requested my full using my SASE. I remember I let it sit unopened for a couple of days, assuming it was a rejection. Good things can come in SASEs!

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
I had one request for a full arrive via my SASE (with my sample pages inside) on a MS I queried a couple years ago. This time around, with a different MS, all requests have arrived via email.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
On the other hand, I was querying back in October and I still haven't gotten SASE's back from 5 agents. I have an agent now so it doesn't matter, but I think it's pretty bad when an agency doesn't send back a SASE when they specifically request them. I mean, I expect a no-reply from most of the email queries, but when they don't accept email and tell you to send and SASE, they should return it.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I always wonder what they do with those (getting more expensive each year) unused stamps. I can just see someone hired for the only purpose of steaming the stamps off the SASEs so they can re-use them.

Seriously, yes, I've had good news returned in my SASEs. More often, though, the good news comes in their own envelope. Don't know why.

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
do they use the envelope to torture us?
couldn't they send an email?
or are they afraid we'd accuse them of stealing stamps? 8)

but hey, YAY you CAN receive good news in
a skinny envelope. =D

GJB

Oh, what a ride
Registered
Reaction score
Yes indeed. More than once got back even my query letter inside my SASE with a note requesting a full or partial scribbled on my letter.

But here's the best one--My present wonderful agent sent the contract signed by the agency in my old SASE (which I had sent along with the full manuscript). In my old SASE was not only the signed contract but also an agency SASE for me to use after I signed the contract. Sure made it easy. So one could say the agency and I traded SASES. Seemed right somehow. g.

samfield

Registered
Reaction score
a few blocks from one of the world's greatest auth
jolly good joy!

thank you so much: I feel it coming back (yes there it is!), that little breath-stealing burn behind both lungs, the one you get sometimes when you're about to be caught doing something potentially impeachable... Mail Time is back... wa-hoo!

(self delusion can be such a frozen-drink!)

lostlore

Registered
Reaction score
I've had partial and full requests from the SASE. But I've always felt much better about agents who emailed. And I felt best about those who actually called. I'm thinking now of two in particular who were audibly excited about my query, were literally gushing on and on about it, and (which I'll admit since this is the Rejection & Dejection board and I feel both right now) one of them is a dream agent at a TOP agency who kept going on and on about how wonderful my pages were and how my query was so fantastic. Sent them all the requested materials and I either got rejected by them or (in the case of dream agent above who I was most excited about) never heard back. That was almost a year ago.

lostlore

Registered
Reaction score
Everyone seems to be talking about agents here.

What about fiction and poetry submissions -- ever have good news come in those SASEs?

I've only had rejections in those. Sometimes they were "good" rejections -- asking to send more or whatever -- but they were always rejections.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
So far, I've only e-queried, so the SASE's have been limited to partial and full submissions (it's cheaper for me to have them recycle the copy and print a new one, rather than pay for return postage on the manuscript). Those SASE's tended to come back with "not for us/didn't fall in love with it" letters.

I was quite surprised last fall when an SASE I sent with a partial (five months earlier) came with a request for the full (which she's had for two and a half months now).

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've had both acceptances and rejections in the SASEs. And then I've also had SASEs not returned at all. Like some have already said, I do prefer email subs--and also, for some reason, seem to get more acceptances with them. I usually get faster responses, too.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've had contracts for short stories come back in SASE. It does happen.

LianeW

Registered
Reaction score
I've never gotten good news on a short story submission in a SASE, but I got a manuscript request in one last week. Like a previous poster, I almost didn't open it, because I just assumed it was going to be bad news.

I wonder how many people have thrown out good news based on that assumption. There have to be a few.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I have gotten good news in an SASE. Mostly not, though. Can you tell I got a rejection today?

Status
Not open for further replies.