When they don't say why...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
I know this topic has been batted around in this forum in the past, but I'd still like to hear some fresh insight.

I'm neck-deep in the query process. After several rejections of partials and fulls on the same MS, none of the responses have been personal (except for one - writing's good). All of them contained the usual phrases like not enthusiastic enough, not quite right for us, etc. How is one supposed to learn from rejection if nobody offers any criticism? What is a writer supposed to take from these stats?

This MS has been through beta readers and lots of critiques. Working on my next project, trying to keep optimistic, but these vague/form responses are really frustrating.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My impression is that the rejections aren't intended to teach the writer anything or to allow him/her to take anything from them. They're just rejections, often couched in the gentlest terms. Try not to read anything into them. All you need to know is that each one means "no" on this manuscript at this time from this agency or agent.

You have my empathy and sympathy both, but the agents rejecting the work don't owe us a reason why, much less a critique.

Maryn, offering you candy because that makes everyone smile, at least briefly

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Another reason they don't say why is they don't want to invite responses to the rejection.

Basically, it's a subjectivity thing. Some of the agents who blog have specifically stated they turn down good manuscripts for myriad reasons, so you don't necessarily have to jump to the conclusion that something needs to be fixed.

Just query widely, and maybe don't get your hopes up about requests. Easier said than done, I know!

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
Clara nailed it. Time, mountains of manuscripts, poisoned responses to rejections; it all adds up to "no helping the poor writer".

After reading many blogs I got the implression that they've seen so much that many stories look the same to them. I'm not implying that you're treading over tired material, but that after they've read hundreds upon hundreds of manuscripts they've seen it all.

So it becomes our burden to write works that come from way out of left field, zing a few curve balls to liven up their day in hopes of catching their attention. As if the task of writing solid prose and engaging stories wasn't already a powerful challenge.

Pike

Status
Not open for further replies.