Across the Universe...

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
I was a little disappointed, but that sort of musical is hard to pull off, since everytime they start a song you know what's coming. It just wasn't staged all that imaginatively imo.

The STRAWBERRY FIELDS thing I really loved. And the guy who played the Jimi Hendrix type character? I would've rather seen a whole dramatic movie anout HIM.

Definitely worth renting, just wasn't all I'd hoped it might be.

GreenFriend

VIVA Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I've been listening to the soundtrack for a long time and still have yet to see the movie.

I hope it lives up to the musical images the music invokes.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Love that movie. Love it so much.

Strawberry Fields is the best part, hands down.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
You have to watch it while... you know... high....ly involved with the music and imageries. I grew up loving the Beatles so that was quite a, eh, trip.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
You know what. I was dying to see this in the theatre and my wife kept coming up with excuses not to. She's been doing the same thing to me since it came out on DVD. Ever since I saw the first trailer, I've been dying to see it. I'm putting my foot down. So what if she doesn't like musicals.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
You know what. I was dying to see this in the theatre and my wife kept coming up with excuses not to. She's been doing the same thing to me since it came out on DVD. Ever since I saw the first trailer, I've been dying to see it. I'm putting my foot down. So what if she doesn't like musicals.

It's not just a musical. And you know what, watch it without your wife. OK, so the plot is thin, and the character development is a bit lacking, but we don't see movies like this for all that. I think it's amazing.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Argh. The only thing we don't do together are my writing/reading gigs and her origami and girl's night things. We don't watch movies apart. We share a brain. This past weekend I finally tied her down and forced her to watch The Kite Runner. She LOVED it. I will just use that as an example of my taste in movies. She'll relent. She's fought it off so long, she has weakened to the point that I see us watching it on Friday night. (-;

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I didn't like the Kite Runner that much -- I guess because I loved the book, so the movie was disappointing. Hey, if you can "FORCE" her to watch that, then you can certainly force her to watch AtU. Just say it's the Kite Runner-lite. LOL.

I forced a friend of mine to see Atonement. Normally he wouldn't be caught dead at a movie like that. He loved it, and thought it was the best movie he saw for a while (although he thought it was just too sad).

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Huh. She went to the theatre to see attonement and LOVED it. She waited for that release date and went on opening night. The woman is a riddle wrapped within an enigma.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Um. Ah. Um. Ah. My son and I ducked into an action flick at the last minute. Can't even remember what it was? You caught me.

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
We all watched it together on DVD, ages: 52, 49, 19, 12, 9. We all enjoyed it greatly. In fact, we all like the Beatles, come to think of it. Good songs, good singing, very creative, even weird in parts. Eddie Izzard: brilliant. Did I see Joe Cocker in a cameo or did I imagine it? It was fun looking for the Beatles references out side of the songs, like lines and names of characters sprinkled around. I recommend it.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
speaking of music and movies...has anyone ever watched The Wizard of Oz with the sound turned down, with Pink Floy's 'Dark Side of the Moon' as the soundtrack?

There is an urban myth that supposes that Pink Floyd scored that album against the movie. Not true, however, when you watch the movie with DSOTM playing, it is eeire how well it syncs up.

Especially if you are (shall we say, high...ly) involved in the whole process.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Still haven't gotten around to seeing it, although I've been meaning to. I'm going to rent it on the way home today...

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
We all watched it together on DVD, ages: 52, 49, 19, 12, 9. We all enjoyed it greatly. In fact, we all like the Beatles, come to think of it. Good songs, good singing, very creative, even weird in parts. Eddie Izzard: brilliant. Did I see Joe Cocker in a cameo or did I imagine it? It was fun looking for the Beatles references out side of the songs, like lines and names of characters sprinkled around. I recommend it.

Izzard was great. Bono was trippy. And the leads were all very good, especially Martin Luther as JoJo.

Oh, and that special sexy scene in the VA hospital with Salma Hayek. Wow!

Some memorable scenes (among many):

- Let It Be (I actually shed a tear)
- the bowling alley
- Strawberry Fields (what an amazing sequence)
- the final scene (All You Need is Love)

I didn't know what the 60s was like but that gave me an idea, albeit stylized...

Elliot Cowan

Publish Me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elliotelliotelliot.com
Dear me.
I really wanted to enjoy this film.
I've watched the first 40 minutes about 3 times and turn it off.
It's less a movie and more a series of random scenes.
I do think the covers of the songs are generally very good, but also totally unnecessary.
Many of my friends love it, but can't seem to warm to it yet.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite scenes are:

1) Strawberry Fields. Hands-down the best part of the movie.
2) Hey Jude. When Max stands up and does the descant at the end? Come-frickin-on. First time seeing that in theaters, my sister and I just grabbed each other.
3) Let it Be. The best one to listen to outside the context of the movie.
4) Happiness is a Warm Gun. Fantastic song, and that actor is--man. I love him.
5) With a Little Help From My Friends. Yeah. I love it.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
They did as much as they could live in as few takes as possible...but from what I've read, If I Fell is the only one that succeeded in being fully live/one take.