How Much Do You Tell Your Partner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
My husband and I agreed along time ago, to share with one another if we are attracted to another person and things like that... We have had some very interesting and long conversations on the matter. My friend thinks that I am in wrong in telling him these things.

What do you folks do?

auntybug

teh other evil broad
Registered
Reaction score
I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing mysel
Website
www.junekramin.com
How Much Do You Tell Your Partner?

Everything. He knows my weakness... I'm a shameful flirt ... droll on a great set on "firm man titties" ... oogle cute actors ... and yes, tease him about AW dudes... He knows I'm faithful & if it gets me hot & bothered - I take it out on him ;)

He's never threatened by it but some guys might be... he never teases me back about women though..... he's a smart cookie:D

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My husband and I agreed along time ago, to share with one another if we are attracted to another person and things like that... We have had some very interesting and long conversations on the matter. My friend thinks that I am in wrong in telling him these things.

What do you folks do?

My husband knows I have a thing for Harrison Ford. ;)

Seriously, I think there are two levels of attraction: one is a threat to the relationship, and the other is not. The one that's the threat to the relationship is the one that needs discussing...especially because it's an indicator that there's a serious rift in your relationship with your partner. There's a need or a problem that is not being addressed. It happens in the best of relationships--the tricky thing is being able to step back and see what's happening and why, and to deal with it with your partner in a healthy way.

czjaba

dreaming of the day...
Registered
Reaction score
I think it depends on what type of 'attraction' you are referring to. There are guys that have certain qualities that I like, and I'll share comments with my husband. And he will do the same (make comments about other women). I think it is a natural, healthy way to have a relationship. I am secure enough in our relationship not to be offended if he comments on a leggy blonde and when Ace Young was on Idol last year, my husband knew better than to try to talk to me. My attention was already taken.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
My boyfriend and I are in a long distance relationship. We love to talk to each other on the phone but our different work schedules makes it difficult since we are either choosing to talk to each other or get stuff that we need to get done at home or hang out with other friends. One is always giving up something. This is has been September and although we love talking to each other it is getting old.

He is moving up to where I am and is saving money right now. He's at the halfway mark. I knew this relationship would be difficult because of the distance but he's worth it. We both promised each other from the beginning that we wouldn't play games with each other and so far we are working out great. I'm so excited that he will be able to move up to be with me.

Oh I met him on the internet and this being an internet board I hope no one decides that my boyfriend is pure evil cause of it. Not saying that anyone on here would but I've gotten that reaction before. I tell someone about my boyfriend and they are smiley and superhappy for me until they ask me how we met and then it's like I'm talking to a completely different person. What's up with that?

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
My husband and I agreed along time ago, to share with one another if we are attracted to another person and things like that...

No! Hell no! We don't share things like that beyond saying such and such an actor or actress is cute.

Heck, if we did that we'd be in divorce court so fast my head would spin because I'm attracted to every woman I see during the day.

So I keep that to myself.

Adam Israel

Formerly known as StoneTable
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adamisrael.com
Oh I met him on the internet and this being an internet board I hope no one decides that my boyfriend is pure evil cause of it. Not saying that anyone on here would but I've gotten that reaction before. I tell someone about my boyfriend and they are smiley and superhappy for me until they ask me how we met and then it's like I'm talking to a completely different person. What's up with that?

I'm certainly not going to be one to judge. I met my better half on the internet (and this board in particular). I have noticed some people having the same kind of reaction you've experienced. I think that's largely due to all of the news stories you see about stalkers and pedophiles using the internet to prey on people, in addition to the urge to protect those we know/love. Don't be hard on them, they're looking out for your best interests and they've been conditioned to distrust people from the internet.

Oh, an to answer the OP, I tell her everything.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Everything. He knows my weakness... I'm a shameful flirt ... droll on a great set on "firm man titties" ... oogle cute actors ... and yes, tease him about AW dudes... He knows I'm faithful & if it gets me hot & bothered - I take it out on him ;)

He's never threatened by it but some guys might be... he never teases me back about women though..... he's a smart cookie:D

This is more like what my relationship is with my husband. We even set up rules with each other about what bothers us and what doesn't. It works out fine, unless one of us breaks the rules..

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. My general policy with the lovely gf, my collaborator in life, is that I'm open and honest about everything, as I want the most intimate and real relationship possible. I've told her from the get-go that I like to look at nice-looking women, but so far have not had any interest in doing any more than that, so there's been nothing to disclose. I feel completely comfortable saying that so-and-so is a hottie or whatever, because V. knows that I'm completely nuts about her, so doesn't feel threatened. But what if (odd to consider) I developed an actual crush on someone else? I guess I'd have to tell her, which would be difficult for us. I guess I'll hope and seek for this not to happen.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Movie/TV boyfriends and girlfriends are fine, because it's unlikely I'll bump into Javier Bardem in the grocery store, is it?

As much of our marriage is long distance, though, hubby and I agree crushing on real people is not allowed. Temptation must be averted.

I can understand in along distance marriage..

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"I've seen you eyeing some Corvettes. But if you ever take a ride in one, you'd better have full coverage insurance." The Missus

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
My wife and I are hopelessly devoted to... well, each other.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I are hopelessly devoted to... well, each other.

Isn't that a song by Olivia Newton-John?

"Hopelessly devoted to you..."

Can't remember the rest of the lyrics.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
My husband knows I have a thing for Harrison Ford. ;)

Seriously, I think there are two levels of attraction: one is a threat to the relationship, and the other is not. The one that's the threat to the relationship is the one that needs discussing...especially because it's an indicator that there's a serious rift in your relationship with your partner. There's a need or a problem that is not being addressed. It happens in the best of relationships--the tricky thing is being able to step back and see what's happening and why, and to deal with it with your partner in a healthy way.

Ditto to this. PARTICULARLY the bit about Harrison Ford. :)

As Redzilla said, Mr. Nightshade and I feel free to point out actors and such we think are attractive, because we don't really think of them as real people. We'd never meet them.

Both of us are the kind of people who fall emotionally before physical - what I mean is that we don't find people attractive until we know who they are. So for us, crushing on someone in real life would be a Big Issue. Fortunately as long as we maintain a close relationship and conduct ourselves appropriately around members of the opposite sex, this should not be a problem.

Also, Mr. Nightshade works in an all-male environment. MUAHAHAHA!

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
We tell each other everything.

Mr. Turkey is my best friend... I can't imagine hiding anything from him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.