Query Letters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
I've been playing around SYW's Query Letter forum and I've noticed something. Many of the query letters almost read as if they were written to the same template. I understand that there are limits to what can be done with a professional query letter. It has to be one page. There are certain elements and information that must be included. What, then, can be done to make it unique? How can it be made to pop and still remain professional?

Windsong

Registered
Reaction score
A good hook. Sounds easy, but very hard to come up with. Then a compelling bit about the story so the agent/reader will want to read on.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
How are those elements unique? Those are the parts that must be included in every query letter.

I'm not asking the what. I think we all know what elements must be included. How do you use them to make your query letter individual, unique? How do you use them in such a way that the query letter does not read like a template?

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I like to curse in my query letters. I feel like it takes them by surprise.

(half joking? maybe?)

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Let me give examples of what I noticed. Read the linked query letters and look at how each one begins (the password is vista):

Tampletown by czjaba

Shivers by Moon Daughter

Traveler Joe by mauricesempine

Max and Merlin by brittanimae

Is this a result of using the same resource materials and being crit by the same group of individuals? Or is something else going on? Am I the only one that sensing a "template" to the underlying structure of these queries?

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Is this a result of using the same resource materials and being crit by the same group of individuals? Or is something else going on?
That first line is definitely a result of resources/crits. The line is a good indicator to the agent that the novel actually falls into the group of novels that they'd be willing to represent. Genre, word count. Sometimes people add a line of personalization there.

You don't have to put it there, but it's an obvious opening too. Start off by saying "Hi, I'm querying you" then start with the title and some sort of description. You have to include the genre and word count somewhere, so that seems like a non-intrusive spot to put it.

(I had a similar line in my recent query for crit. It was at the end though)

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
Guilty.

I wouldn't call it a template necessarily. It's just a simple way of introducing the story. Although I do agree that it's nowhere near unique, it works.

Dragonfly45

Purveyor of the Sparkly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colbymarshall.blogspot.com
IMHO, the agent isn't looking for what elements or structure you use to make your query interesting...they are interested in whether or not you have a story that interests them. My recent query letter for THE QUARTER uses this SAME opening line (I am currently seeking representation for my literary novel, The Quarter, which is complete at 80,000 words." I use this because it gives the agents the stats up front...they know the title and the length and genre so that when they read the rest of the letter, they know the facts. Using this line hasn't hurt me at all, I don't think, as this query has had a lot o success so far. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is try not to worry about using the structure of your query to stand out...use the content of your story. Because if there's not a good story there, a query is not going to generate interest no matter how you structure your letter.

TrishD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trishdoller.com
I don't know the why, Birol, but you're right that there seems to be a formula everyone follows. I guess what makes it distinctive is your voice and your talent in describing your manuscript.

ETA: I followed the formula, queried 20 agents, got five requests for fulls and two offers. So I'm an advocate of playing by the (unwritten) rules when querying.

Last edited:

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Once when I was very, very drunk, I had what I thought was a great idea about queries - to write one along these lines.

Dear Agent

I know you get loads of crappy submissions and you probably can't be bothered to read all of them, but I thought I'd try my luck, anyway. It's probably a waste of time and postage and doubtless you'll take months to get back to me with a polite sod off. Either way, I don't care what you think. I'm just after publication so read this book and do agent stuff.

Thanks a lot.

The next morning, I decided it wasn't the best idea I'd ever had.

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Colby Marshall~~ There's nothing wrong with stating your ms title, genre and word count up front; in fact I've read where several agents prefer it for the very reasons ColbyM mentioned.

FWIW, my mystery query (which I've stopped sending out because I need to revise the ms) got several favorable responses including an agent who praised my query; said, "it was intiguing," and while she had to pass because she was too busy to take on new clients, my letter "really tempted her," and I should continue to submit as she was sure it would garner attention.

Now if only I could work the same magic on a romance query I'm wrestling with!

EM

Dragonfly45

Purveyor of the Sparkly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colbymarshall.blogspot.com
I've sent sixty-ish queries out for this manuscript (I am one of the believers in querying widely). It took me a couple of tries to tweak my letter to get it right, but once I got the "good" letter, I guess I've gotten about one request for every five or six I've sent out. That's approximate, I haven't done the math.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
*sigh*

I'll tell you what, after spending much time in query hell prepping to write my own query, I'm writing my own very, very differently.

At this point, I think that even if agents hate it, whether the results are good or bad, anything at all different has got to be like a heavens parting and angels singing thing for them.

Professional, effective, but different. That's what I'm shooting for.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Once when I was very, very drunk, I had what I thought was a great idea about queries - to write one along these lines.

Dear Agent

I know you get loads of crappy submissions and you probably can't be bothered to read all of them, but I thought I'd try my luck, anyway. It's probably a waste of time and postage and doubtless you'll take months to get back to me with a polite sod off. Either way, I don't care what you think. I'm just after publication so read this book and do agent stuff.

Thanks a lot.

I was at a writer's conference last weekend attending a seminar by agent Steve Laube. He had a 1" stack of query letters similar to this that he read out loud for us as examples of what not to do. ;)

The template is fine; agents don't necessarily want 'originality' in the way you write your query letter. They want to see that the manuscript you're presenting has originality in some way. Steve described how he opens the letters all himself, and habitually peeks into the envelope at that first 'hook' paragraph. That primarily is how he first separates the 'read' pile from the 'reject' pile.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Pat~.

My impression from reading agent blogs is that they aren't looking for a unique approach to query letters, or query letters that "pop." The query contains certain information the agent needs, and the basic format makes that information easy to find. They're not expecting to be surprised or entertained by the query itself, but by the story idea it contains.

I would liken queries to resumes. Go too far afield of the standard, and people with think you're trying to trick them.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I was at a writer's conference last weekend attending a seminar by agent Steve Laube. He had a 1" stack of query letters similar to this that he read out loud for us as examples of what not to do. ;)

Good thing I was sober the next morning. :D

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Put yourself in an agent's position. They have to sort through piles of these things every day. They want to do this QUICKLY. The aim is to get through the stack quickly, and find what they want quickly.

In this set of circumstances, a standard format HELPS them get through that stack quickly. It helps them get to the content quickly. It helps them to spot what is unique about YOUR MANUSCRIPT quickly. If they have to wade through some "creative" way the author has chosen to organize the query letter, this is slowing them down. This is irritating them because you aren't giving them what they want quickly.

Like others have said, don't focus on making the FORMAT quirky or original. The format is simply a tool for conveying your information quickly and effectively. Instead, focus on making the CONTENT of that format really sing.

(Incidentally, I work in another industry where I have to wade through tons of emails every week. The quicker you get to the point, the happier I am.)

Patrick L

looking for a home
Registered
Reaction score

Dear Agent

Thanks a lot.

It made me laugh. :D

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
The format "I'm seeking representation for my {length} {genre}" is a standard preface to the bulk of the query for a reason: it serves the same function as the "Re:" line in a business memo. To me (and this is my opinion, but it is bolstered by the agent blogs), being creative about that line is as pointless as being creative about "Dear {Name}".

Memnon624

A Boy and his Orc . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scottoden.com
If I recall, I put the genre/word count info at the end of my query. After the salutation, the first paragraph was the hook, second was the bio, and then the genre/word count bit. I'm of the opinion that it's not critical *where* it is in the query, so long as it's there.

I'll have to look around and see if I saved a copy of it . . .

Best,

Scott

Novelhistorian

Registered
Reaction score
Who said anything about quirky? Can something not be different, still maintain the same elements, and remain professional and quick to review?

I'm sure you can do that. It also wouldn't surprise me if agents differed in their likes and dislikes, because there's a rumor that they're people. But they all want to know whatever information they must have before they're willing to believe they can sell your book. Is the story intriguing? Does the MC sound like someone with whom readers can identify? Does the author have a track record or other credentials that suggest a platform? Does the author sound like the person who can deliver what s/he promises?

If the agent can imagine himself pitching your book to an editor based on your query, you're there. If not, the odds are against you. Notice, I don't say it's impossible, because every once in a while, an agent sees merit in a query whose presentation lacks polish. But nobody would want to take that chance.

Does that mean stick with the template? I don't think so, but I don't know. After all, there are some agents who want to know in the first line why you're querying them in particular.

Status
Not open for further replies.