"Looks Sell Books"

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I keep hearing about this 'publishers' dirty secret' and it's freaking me out. Am I not going to get an agent/publisher/book tour because I'm not a Hollywood babe?

I just posted on another thread that I've battled eating disorders and body image issues my whole life. Now I'm freaking out, not only worrying whether my book is good enough and will sell, but also whether I'm too fat to be a writer?! How pathetic is it that I even have to think about that?

So here's my question: does anyone know the extent to which this mantra is used? Does it really determine which books get more support? Which agents/publishers are more looks-conscious than others?

-Sarah

sgtsdaughter

Nearing the end of an era
Registered
Reaction score
stuck between Wonder Woman and Lady Columbia
nope--not at all

i would say that you do not have to look like a hot tamale to sell books. granted some authors shake the tree more than most, but think about it . . . of the big names out there how many really make you drool? that is in thier physical appearance--not for writing sales and such.

and granted, i am new to the game--so to speak--but the talks i'm in aren't focusing on my looks. which is good, because right now i've got a doo rag and nasty old sweater on. i'm looking pretty shaggy, but wait this happens to be my normal attire. :ROFL:

cheers and be hopeful . . . focus on the writing first and then handle the little stuff.

Annessa
Pitfalls Between Nightfall and Daybreak

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about the book world, but I do know what recently happened to me. I've been writing regularly for several years for a local publishing company that has a kind of young, edgy tone to its publications. They'd never seen me or met me until November, when they called a series of meetings with all their freelance staff. I had a nice long talk with the editor I'd been working with, pitched him several ideas he seemed really excited about - and I haven't gotten one assignment from him since. I haven't even gotten response to my e-mails.

In fact, I still haven't gotten paid for a restaurant review I did six months ago that they haven't run yet (neither pay, nor reimbursement.) I have done a lot of work for him in the past that he said he was very happy with, including pulling a review out of a hat at the last minute to help him out once or twice and doing an interview at the last minute another time when a reporter got sick, and he's always been great to work with. The only thing that changed, as far as I can tell, is that now he knows I'm older than all the rest of the staff and not thin and sexy and hip. <sigh>

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
firehorse said:
Hi all,

I keep hearing about this 'publishers' dirty secret' and it's freaking me out. Am I not going to get an agent/publisher/book tour because I'm not a Hollywood babe?

So here's my question: does anyone know the extent to which this mantra is used? Does it really determine which books get more support? Which agents/publishers are more looks-conscious than others?

-Sarah

If that's the case, I may as well stop line editing my manuscript and quit working on a query and synopsis. :Hammer: That's a horrible thought that looks could outweigh the material.

It's past midnight here and my eyes are getting bloodshot, so with your news in mind, I'm going to go get some beauty sleep.

Joanne

jdkiggins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Betty W01 said:
The only thing that changed, as far as I can tell, is that now he knows I'm older than all the rest of the staff and not thin and sexy and hip. <sigh>

OK. One more before I put on my cucumber mask. That's awful, Betty. I say we "older" writers protest. Now, do we get on our :Soapbox: or do we raise our :flag: ?????

Joanne

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
In the perfect world, I'd say no. A lot of best selling authors are not very attractive. Unlike movies or TV, people buy your books not because you're cute. And I'd say a lot of good looking writers can't push their books at all -- because their books suck...

That said, I think in the real world, studies do show that good-looking, younger people have an advantage over older or not as attractive people. A lot of times it's subtle but if you're observant, you can see it. Do attractive authors sell more books than had they been less attractive? I don't know. John Grisham and JK Rowling are very photogenic. On the other hand, Stephen King looks scary.

So who knows?

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
It's just so wrong... but does that mean it doesn't exist?

Betty W01 said:
I don't know about the book world, but I do know what recently happened to me. I've been writing regularly for several years for a local publishing company that has a kind of young, edgy tone to its publications. They'd never seen me or met me until November, when they called a series of meetings with all their freelance staff. I had a nice long talk with the editor I'd been working with, pitched him several ideas he seemed really excited about - and I haven't gotten one assignment from him since. I haven't even gotten response to my e-mails.

In fact, I still haven't gotten paid for a restaurant review I did six months ago that they haven't run yet (neither pay, nor reimbursement.) I have done a lot of work for him in the past that he said he was very happy with, including pulling a review out of a hat at the last minute to help him out once or twice and doing an interview at the last minute another time when a reporter got sick, and he's always been great to work with. The only thing that changed, as far as I can tell, is that now he knows I'm older than all the rest of the staff and not thin and sexy and hip. <sigh>

Have you confronted him? I'm curious what he'd say if you showed him the message he is conveying with his lack of attention. He'd have to own up, if not to you than (one would hope) at least to himself. I'm never good at confrontation, but if this is the trend, I think it's important to speak up and not let editors/publishers get away with it.

Sadly, I think this is also predominantly an issue for women. Men have more latitude in their appearance, though they're certainly not exempt from the issue.

I used to ghostwrite for a supermodel (and also for a pop star who is mentioned elsewhere on these boards); I designed her website and wrote most of it. I always got a kick out of sitting in my sweats, my cat on my lap, appreciating the discrepancy between the image I was projecting in writing and the real me at the keyboard. When I met her, I could feel her disgust. Of course, I think I registered about as much in her mind as a gnat.

I wonder if she'd be willing to stand in for me? Ghost-face my book? ;) Between her name, her reputation and her looks, it would certainly sell well.

The whole idea is just so wrong. What if Gertrude Stein and Virginia Woolf had to bear such scrutiny? I want to be judged on my words. At the very least, if a publisher wants me to look great, they could hire me a personal trainer and chef :D

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
King is just kind of goofy looking. Dean Koontz? I could take him more seriously before he got the bad toupee.

As far as women...Barbara Kingsolver doesn't have a pic on her website. She was born in 1955, so she probably isn't a supermodel. Robin Hobb lives out in my neck of the woods. She's a perfectly normal, pleasant looking human being: Like someone who'd live next door and you'd never suspect she was a *gasp* writer, just from looking at her.

I honestly, really truly don't ever remember picking a book up, looking at the author's picture, and having it sway my book-buying decision one way or the other.

Perhaps I'm just naive--but I really don't think it's a big deal. Although, standard good hygiene and grooming probably matters, if you're going to deal with the public a lot...:)

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I haven't written any books but a lot of authors aren't all that good looking (stephen King for example). I'm sure publishers put more emphasis on writing talent than what the author looks like. I'm young and frankly, I'm no beauty queen or anything. I'm to the point now that I don't care. I take care of myself as well as love who I am and you should too, Sara. If a publisher or editor turns your work down cuz you aren't gorgeous, well thats bad business for them.

As for the eating disorders and body image issues, I never dealt with eating disorders personally but I did have body image issues for a while. So if you need someone to talk to, feel free to send me a message or email me anytime.

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Publishers aren't going to reject a great book because of the way the author looks. If an author is particularly young and attractive, I guess they could see their appearance as an extra marketing tool, but that's about it, I think.

SRHowen

Erotica is not a four letter word!
Registered
Reaction score
At one time I read an article, can't remember where, that publishers didn't want books from older writers because they wanted writers who had a lot of books in them. I've also heard the idea of looks sell books.

funny, my agent didn't want the picture I used to use in my posts--he said it made me look like a stripper and he wanted something more serious. So I have skipped the picture.

I'm not a serious type person--really.

Shawn

jdkiggins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
OMG, I woke up with more wrinkles than I had yesterday. What to do? What to do?

I've seen author pictures on book jackets presenting a very lovely younger face or handsome gentleman, but it's not their picture that entices me to read their book. If the book is written by a new author, the words inside the book jacket are what draw my intersest. I can't think of one right this minute, but there are a few authors out there that use pictures from younger days. I have to go check out my bookcases to find them.

No big deal to me, if my book is accepted for publication, I want it to be accepted for its content, not my face. :)

Joanne

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
Points taken, but we are a select group. Of course we're not going to buy a book based on the author photo; I'm referring to the trend by publishers.

And Stephen King is a scary-looking dude. Never seen a photo of Dean Koontz.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
I've never heard this theory. I've purchased thousands of books in my lifetime and nary a one was based on how the writer looked.

Agents and publishers want to make money. They're interested in writers who produce salable books, not looks.

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Frank walks the talk, too. His fishing book is full of pictures of himself!

(Just finished it last night, Frank. You did the impossible - you made me wonder if I should go out fishing this summer... you about have me believing that even I might be able to actually catch a fish!)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sarah,

What I was going to say has been echoed here already.

Stephen King is a perfect example of an unattractive author. And yet, the guy sells novels. Heck, he's even IN some of the movies based on his novels.

I wouldn't sweat the looks thing. I think of writing as a behind-the-scenes activity. Be proud of what you write, that's what matters.

I visited your website, by the way, and you look fine to me!

Last edited:

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Well, I happen to think that we are a fine looking bunch of people, and very talented writers, too! :)

Just don't ask to see my picture. . .

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
aka eraser said:
I've never heard this theory. I've purchased thousands of books in my lifetime and nary a one was based on how the writer looked.

The writer’s photo shouldn’t be on the book if it doesn’t add to the overall effect. It’s just another part of marketing. Would you buy a book on self-healing if the author looked like Charles Manson? Or a book of retirement advice by a kid with a silver nose ring?

SRHowen

Erotica is not a four letter word!
Registered
Reaction score
Julie Worth said:
The writer’s photo shouldn’t be on the book if it doesn’t add to the overall effect. It’s just another part of marketing. Would you buy a book on self-healing if the author looked like Charles Manson? Or a book of retirement advice by a kid with a silver nose ring?

And the trend is to make the author look like the main character in the book, at least in the detective/mystery novel genre.

Shawn

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
I can think of no better way to deal with writers who persistently vomit up Mary Sues than to hand them the blonde wig, lollipop and make them put their ego where their mouths are.

Status
Not open for further replies.