It works! - Letter of Introduction.....

Writing Mom

Writer and SAHM
Registered
Reaction score
After reading the post about sending out a LOI along with samples and a resume to trade editors, I figured it couldn't hurt. I sent 4 out this morning to editors of trade magzines that I would like to write for. I got a response from the first one within 5 minutes! He is also sending my info along to the other editors (there are about 6 mags for this topic under one roof, each with an editor) and is sending me some work next week. I got another response 30 minutes ago along the same lines. He likes my work and will be sending me more info next week. He is also sending my info to other editors (again, about 4-5 mags under one roof on this same topic). Boy, I should have done this a long time ago!

Thanks for all of the great info here

limitedtimeauthor

Super duper user
Registered
Reaction score
Writing Mom, that's great!

I just saw your post here, and wanted to thank you for telling us about your success. Very encouraging. :) Thanks, and congratulations!

ltd.

mamakat

Learning All the Time
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Writing Mom, you are definitely inspiring me! I'm curious...did you send these editors clips from trade mags?

Congrats on what looks like plenty of writing assignments coming your way!

JacobWorld

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Website
jacobworldireland.spaces.live.com
Hi mate

I am dealing with freelancers on a daily basis and the biggest mistake they make they never show their best side. Money is not all sometimes. Sometimes freelancing can be bad for you if you wark for a bad website or a magazine

Writing Mom

Writer and SAHM
Registered
Reaction score
mamakat - I wish I had a clip from a magazine to send! lol. I haven't been published in any mags yet. This is why I sent the letter of introduction, to better explain my qualities that that particular trade magazine would find useful. I also sent a couple of my better clips to them.

baron29

Registered
Reaction score
trade mags

Congratulations. I am so new at this; any suggestions on where to find a directory of trade pubs so I can send a letter?

limitedtimeauthor

Super duper user
Registered
Reaction score
We have a thread here that can get you started. I kind of fizzled in my search for trades, but there are a few listed.

Here's a suggestion: if there are any associations related to your field or fields, check their websites to see if they publish magazines or newsletters.

ltd.

Reece10

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing!

I want to give it a whirl too - like you say you never know!

Reece

Umgowa

Registered
Reaction score
mamakat - I wish I had a clip from a magazine to send! lol. I haven't been published in any mags yet. This is why I sent the letter of introduction, to better explain my qualities that that particular trade magazine would find useful. I also sent a couple of my better clips to them.

Did you snail mail your letter of introduction or e-mail it? If someone has clips from past publications I would think it would be far easier to snail mail them, wouldn't it? Thanks for filling me in here.

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
That is awesome! I'm really happy for you :)
Umgowa, I would guess she emailed it - since she got a response within 5 minutes.
Way to go!!

Charlee

Sometimes I have no Y
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Well done you!