PDA

View Full Version : The Absolute Write History Book

Shwebb
02-20-2008, 10:58 PM
If you were to write a book about things that have happened here on the boards, what would stand out to you as significant? Are there threads that gave you the sense that, as they unfolded, made you feel "at home?"

For me, the one event that means a lot was the "Stories of Strength" idea. I'd love to hear yours, and why.

C.bronco
02-20-2008, 11:05 PM
The journey of NerdsRus and the Haggis Must Die contest.

maestrowork
02-20-2008, 11:07 PM
The melting death of chocolate pants.

TrainofThought
02-20-2008, 11:20 PM
Nice thread, Shwebb! For me, it’s hard to pinpoint one specific thread that made me feel at home. To be honest, I’ve somewhat become a better person since I joined AW. Well… at least on AW. My reality and virtual worlds are quite different. :D

Oh... and I didn't read poetry until I joined. I like the AW Chapbook.

Soccer Mom
02-20-2008, 11:24 PM
The Day Things went Dark. Hello Kitty. PHENTERMINE. (when we learned to have fun with spammers). The origination of Truth or Dare.

auntybug
02-20-2008, 11:25 PM
The NerdsRus journey is what did it for me. I talked a lot about AW before - that really was a story to share about how close a family we really are. It's the closest thing to the "Aloha Spirit" I've encountered since leaving Hawaii.
I was having a sad time & staying off for a while... reading that made me realize when I was blue - this is the place I should be - not stay away from :)

Sarita
02-20-2008, 11:27 PM
I loved when everyone was having babies and how close you feel to them when you share in that joy.

I also really loved the AW Idol contest in 2005. Good times.

The Nerds trip made me feel like I was part of something far bigger than myself, and I made some new friends to boot.

Shwebb
02-21-2008, 12:29 AM
All good ones, so far!

And Sara--I'm with you on the baby thing. Now might be a good place to say that one of the first threads I started on AW was a request for suggestions on naming my third baby; I was pregnant with Emmory when I joined.

Perks
02-21-2008, 12:52 AM
I have to say the Absolute Write Idol contest, because I became active here just as it was wrapping up. I saw what talent was here. It led me to the poetry forum and the realization that I do, in fact, love poetry and that there's even some in me.

The vigils we've held: holding our breaths when Carole's husband was out of communication and in danger, counting our Delta friends in the aftermath of Katrina, checking for updates on Jon's son when he was lost to his parents.

The AW blackout and its tower of frustrations won't be forgotten.

Me counseling Writerterri on the proper way to euthanize a fish is always a standout for me.

Nerds and Reigningcatsanddogs' epic journeys are a wonderful continuation of disproving that there can be a virtual community and that the internet can do wonderful, wholesome things just as well as it can purvey smut and deliver bad news and nonsense.

But my in personal story on AW, it's the bond I've forged with three members in particular who have made me feel that I have something worth cultivating in my writing talent. It's not an AW headline, but it's huge in the story of my life thus far.

Stew21
02-21-2008, 01:08 AM
Some of the dark spots in history:

The blackout - watching the community come together and Roger's home away from home.
LaWana Clary's death - The whole place changed pace for one of our own during that time. And watching the outpouring of support and eruption of poetry for condolences - feeling that words just weren't enough.
Hello Kitty - this qualifies as a dark moment - I hated being hello kittied.
some Famous Flouncers and Flounce Moments (they get to stay nameless, SF and GJ) - although, those might qualify as good things.

Some of the good things:

Mac challenge us to change the way we post. Each was given a set of unique rules designed to impact the way we personally post. I felt so out of my element and challenged.

for me personally, being Poet Laureate - what an unbelievable honor. When I got here I was a complete poetry hack. I learned here, got inspired by the people here (even made a whole collection of AW poems (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=749130#post749130)), and cut my teeth with some amazing and amazingly talented writers. I am still awed by the talent in this place and hope to continue learning from them.

Also for me personally, starting and finishing a new novel. I couldn't have done it without AW - more likely, I wouldn't have done it without AW. This place was the glue I needed to hold my writing life together when I needed it to.

Meeting fellow AWers at Archon in St. Louis last year. What an amazing opportunity - Dawno, StoneTable, TJWriter, Mac, Medievalist, Roger, ChunkyC, roach, Jaws, Bart, Ray, AmyBA, Birol, Richard White - awesome opportunity and everyone became so much more real.

and one of my absolute favorite moments:

Blue Rock (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35212)- William Haskins was a genius with this project. He inspired and brought us together - got people to write poetry who never wrote poetry, Wow - what an incredible thing to be a part of.

KTC
02-21-2008, 01:25 AM
Everything. I know that's a cop out, but just everything. Everything mentioned and everything not mentioned. The idol competition is what brought me here...so that may be a bone of contention for others. (-;

Shadow_Ferret
02-21-2008, 01:29 AM
Someone needs to write the AW History so I can read it. I don't remember any of those moments except the blackout.

KTC
02-21-2008, 01:35 AM
Someone needs to write the AW History so I can read it. I don't remember any of those moments except the blackout.

You'll just forget after you read it anyway. You're an old fart, ferretface. Here's how it went. Jenna started the group...lots and lots of stuff happened...the blackout happened...it came back into the land of the living and lots and lots of stuff happened. The end.

quickWit
02-21-2008, 01:40 AM
Here's how it went. Jenna started the group...lots and lots of stuff happened...the blackout happened...it came back into the land of the living and lots and lots of stuff happened. The end.

Wow. I feel like I was there. You should write. :)

KTC
02-21-2008, 01:48 AM
Wow. I feel like I was there. You should write. :)

Thank you. I think I will. Your encouragement feeds me.

Shadow_Ferret
02-21-2008, 01:53 AM
But, Mac runs the place. Who's this Jenna person?

KTC
02-21-2008, 02:01 AM

After institution has a granny...a forefather, if you will...or, rather, a foremother. In the time before the dinosaur a woman we shall call the Jenna did bring forth the AW Water Cooler. On the 5th day, The Jenna said, "Let there be water". On the 6th day, said Jenna said, "Let there be a cooler." On the 7th day, she said, "I'm tired. Let there be an Office Party."

sassandgroove
02-21-2008, 02:08 AM
But, Mac runs the place. Who's this Jenna person?Why must you always be so obstinate?

When I joined I lurked in Novels. One big thing for me was Uncle Jim's thread. I was there when he started it. He has challenged me to look at story telling in a new light.

Another was Diana's Magick Thread, as I have magic in my scifi/fantasy novel and her info is very helpful. She opened a world to me, and she validated my idea of how magic should work in my story.

Another biggie was getting the courage to post in Ray's House of Love Party. They welcomed me with open arms, and a towel boy. I always check in there first when I sign on to AW and I have true friends. When we had the get together last May it wasn't so much that I was meeting them, it was just seeing my friends in person.

I am often out of the loop around here because I tend to check my usercp and just go to HOL ,the Healthy Diet and Exercise and prayer request threads, but I do feel I am part of a community. I love the prayer request thread because I think that is a big contributer to the cohesion of the community.

I remember the blackout. That was terrible. Thanks for Roger and his refugee camp.

There are other things too, like getting books by AW members. Or getting to tell my eye doc, who had a framed picture of himself and Celine Dion, that I am friends with an author of a book about her and how nice my friend said Celine is.

I remember one time we were posting what the previous poster's avatar meant, making up silly stuff, and the thread was updating almost as fast as chat. Stuff like that is cool.

I tell people here things before I tell anyone else. I don't even think my family knows I am hurt....

When Mac took over, and there was an outpouring of love for her, that was neato.

Or the time Wackamole and I were posting in the 'tell a lie about the previous poster" thread, or what ever it is called, and I said she was a 14 year old boy looking at pron or somehting and she posted, "Mom?" oh man i was ROFL!

robeiae
02-21-2008, 02:17 AM
My favorite moment in AW history was when Haskins got in trouble.

My second favorite moment was when KTC forgot his password for a week.

Stew21
02-21-2008, 02:25 AM

where would we be now without those pearls of wisdom he gave us?

Perks
02-21-2008, 02:35 AM
where would we be now without those pearls of wisdom he gave us?That comment will ring in my mind's ear forever.

Maryn
02-21-2008, 02:43 AM
I'd have to add "Atlanta Nights" by Travis Tea.

And Kevin--dang, what's his whole user name? I'm blanking--submitting a book to PublishAmerica with the same pages repeated over and over.

I suspect I could have a field day reading the subject lines of the older threads and going, Yeah, we'd have to include that!

What about the day so many people used Fahim's avatar? (He'd done something wonderful, and it was our nod to his brilliance.)

Or avatars with sparkles, many courtesy of Dawno.

Or--biggie--why Orlando Bloom's name is so big here he's an option in nearly every poll.

Carrie and Pete's comedy show--god, how I laughed.

People who came in and spammed us with part of their self-published books, which we critiqued, who were foolish enough to argue in the book's defense? Or is that just mean-spirited? I always wonder if they didn't learn a lesson and join up under another name, and are now AW veterans who see their book was indeed sucktacular.

Maryn, who could go on, but then there'd be no dinner

sassandgroove
02-21-2008, 02:46 AM
Oh and Kevin and III and Rob are my cyber big brothers. I also like birthday threads, evn though I miss a lot of them.

Shwebb
02-21-2008, 03:54 AM
Someone needs to write the AW History so I can read it. I don't remember any of those moments except the blackout.Funny you should mention that, Ed. That's precisely why I asked this question.

If any of you have suggestions for how such thing could be set up, I'd welcome them.

tjwriter
02-21-2008, 04:32 AM
That's a good idea, Shelly.

I've been around for a bit, and I have lots of fond memories.

SpookyWriter
02-21-2008, 04:44 AM

Which one?

My second favorite moment was when KTC forgot his password for a week.

Which one?
:Shrug: I've never forgotten my password and can't recall ever getting into trouble with Mac.

Lyra Jean
02-21-2008, 05:09 AM
Blue Rock was something big to me.
Also the Healthy Excercise and Diet thread even though I'm not in it anymore. No one kicked me out when they learned I didn't have to lose weight I just wanted to be healthier.

And who can forget the "Wrath of Jenna"

Magdalen
02-21-2008, 05:29 AM
Well what about Poet in a Hat's "Good Drama" Thread this past December? That was a wild and wonderful collaborative effort and I LMAO over it. I mean who can forget Writer???'s sublime character development of the "Purple Throbber"??? Plus, no animals or poets were seriously harmed in the production thereof.

:hat:

:PartySmil

:e2Order:

Soccer Mom
02-21-2008, 08:13 AM
I remember Royalty for a Week. The moats. The Yakks. Lady Jay's dungeon.

Good times.

Stew21
02-21-2008, 08:54 AM
Royalty for a week - in its heyday - oh yea, Soccer Mom, remember when Broken Fingers, Tiny Terror and Robeiae decided to overthrow the royalty? :)

Hysterical.

And Maryn, you brought up using Fahim's avatar - reminded me of everyone having cow avatars-DAwnolites and sparklie bovines, and when Mac took over the place a bunch of folks had squashed gopher avatars - cult of the squashed gopher.

And the Pete and Carrie Variety Hours! Jesus Christ, holy mother, that shit was FUNNY!

Medievalist
02-21-2008, 10:53 AM

This place runs on a Mac? !!!

Geeze . . . gonna donate right now. They need cash for that kinda hardware ...

Bmwhtly
02-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Memorable moments from our history?

hmmm... Killing Haggis. That was a competition that the whole board, horror writists or not, could get behind.

When Jay opened the Cabaret. It was so fresh and exciting, of course it turned grimy soon enough, but still.

When the same four people kept the "Early Birds Thread" alive in the morning. That was a warm and fuzzy place to ease into your day.

When what's-his-name went batsh*t and got banned. That sort of led to Mac and her merry mods lightening the atmosphere by throwing around more imaginative punishments.

*sigh*
so many memories.

Priene
02-21-2008, 01:31 PM
This was before my time, but Gordon Jerome's meltdown is a landmark in the archives.

KTC
02-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Royalty for a week - in its heyday - oh yea, Soccer Mom, remember when Broken Fingers, Tiny Terror and Robeiae decided to overthrow the royalty? :)

Hysterical.

And Maryn, you brought up using Fahim's avatar - reminded me of everyone having cow avatars-DAwnolites and sparklie bovines, and when Mac took over the place a bunch of folks had squashed gopher avatars - cult of the squashed gopher.

And the Pete and Carrie Variety Hours! Jesus Christ, holy mother, that shit was FUNNY!

I was the best royalty. I was such a good king. Good times. I was king of the world AW!

Devil Ledbetter
02-21-2008, 04:23 PM
When I arrived here, almost everyone had South Park avatars. I thought Scarlett Peaches was a mod. And Kevin had that neat avatar with the horns, and for the longest time, I thought he was girl.

It takes me a while to acclimate to a new board.

KTC
02-21-2008, 04:28 PM
Yeah...and I thought you were a boy, David? I want my horn avatar back.

Devil Ledbetter
02-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Yeah...and I thought you were a boy, David? I want my horn avatar back.It's lovely. And people still think I'm a boy. This happens to me at a lot of boards.

KTC
02-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Must be the boy avatar? Hmmm?

Devil Ledbetter
02-21-2008, 04:49 PM
Must be the boy avatar? Hmmm?I don't always use a boy avatar, though, and they still think I'm a boy.

Also, that doesn't explain why I thought you were a girl when you had the horns avatar.

Perks
02-21-2008, 05:06 PM
The royalty thread was quite fun. I wrote some of my best stuff in my abdication speech. And don't worry, Devil, people still think I'm a guy with my purple starburst.

The great April Fool's joke of 2006 was funny. I'd just joined the moderators and we'll all pretended to have this massive flame-war fight on the boards and a lot of people fell for it.

nerds
02-21-2008, 05:13 PM
things which made me feel at home -

robeiaieiaieiaieiaieiaieiaieiaieiaieiaieiaie posting that he would toss me somewhere or hang me upside-down, can't recall exactly which it was, and I knew I Had Arrived. A member with 1000s of posts had noticed me. I felt like Gonzo the Great - you're going to stuff me in a cannon and shoot me how far? Let's do it!

A rep from KFC, from Jenna, five words from Mac, deal-sealers for at-homeness.

In terms of threads, for me it would be the epic LL plagiarism saga, Voyager's NooBee thread, Poet's Epitaph contest at Halloween, Jason's Mainstream story contest, and Poet's neverending Good Drama thread meant to lighten things up, which it did hilariously. The Menopause thread where for once I could offer something constructive to other people.

My own and rcd's trips, astounding stuff, the calibre of people here simply beyond belief.

Oh, and the Landfill, where I live with the LOLcatz. Home, sweet home.

Shadow_Ferret
02-21-2008, 05:14 PM
It's lovely. And people still think I'm a boy. This happens to me at a lot of boards.
Yeah, I don't get that. You clearly have a girl in your avatar.

The Scip
02-21-2008, 05:18 PM
We came in right around the same time Devil. The south park avatars were funny. I vowed never to switch to a south park character. I also thought you were a guy for a while.

Devil Ledbetter
02-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Yeah, I don't get that. You clearly have a girl in your avatar.I'm pretty sure Eddie Vedder has a Y chromosome, Ferret.

KTC
02-21-2008, 05:40 PM
A rep from KFC

TONE IT DOWN, NELLY! I don't exactly give those out willy-nilly. You're one of a select few. Don't start a riot, will ya!

The Scip
02-21-2008, 06:00 PM
I'm pretty sure Eddie Vedder has a Y chromosome, Ferret.

Thats eddie vedder? I thought it was the girl from the underworld movies :)

Devil Ledbetter
02-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Thats eddie vedder? I thought it was the girl from the underworld movies :)I'll admit he's lookin' awful purdy there.

Devil Ledbetter
02-21-2008, 06:04 PM
TONE IT DOWN, NELLY! I don't exactly give those out willy-nilly. You're one of a select few. Don't start a riot, will ya!You are in trouble now, mister.

Kerr
02-21-2008, 06:51 PM
For me, AW has been only the last few months. It was a reaching out for a hand to get my writing feet back under me. And there were a lot of hands reaching back. I had my moments of bitching and felt people allowing me to have my say while they gently prodded me in more positive directions. Thanks. You are all great.

The one thread that I continue to return to for a daily laugh would be limericks. And the whole of Office Party which is like sitting down at the dinner table when the family is reunited. Being most active in the Horror forums, I'd have to say getting to know Haggis and RT and their jabbing sense of humor with each other. I find them popping in all over AWland with their quick one-liners that have me breaking up even during serious discussions. And all those most special friends that I've made, people who have PM'd and Rep'd, whose words come to me like a warm blanket-- you know who you are. And there are too many threads to mention that have kept me up until late at night chuckling and laughing heartily. My life is more full lately because I have all of you who share my passion for words and understand. I, for one, would love to take a trip down memory lane following the footprints of those who came before. What a great idea.

Shadow_Ferret
02-21-2008, 07:14 PM
Oh! Did anyone remember the April Fool's Day a few back when everyone was doing sparklies in their avatars and then some people started getting angry about bandwidth usage and then there was this big supposed blowup and people, even mods, were getting banned left and right?

That was priceless.

See? I do remember some things. It just takes a while for it to filter to the surface.

reigningcatsndogs
02-21-2008, 07:31 PM
TONE IT DOWN, NELLY! I don't exactly give those out willy-nilly.

No shit, Sherlock!! You're sorta the Scrooge McDuck of Rep points, aren't ya!!!

(okay, when you give them, though, they become REALLY special. I was thinking I could sell mine on e-bay, along with my Archie Bunker shaped shreddie)

KTC
02-21-2008, 07:51 PM
No shit, Sherlock!! You're sorta the Scrooge McDuck of Rep points, aren't ya!!!

(okay, when you give them, though, they become REALLY special. I was thinking I could sell mine on e-bay, along with my Archie Bunker shaped shreddie)

Yes. My reps are shiny shiny jewels. I try to make them as special as me.

dobiwon
02-21-2008, 07:55 PM
...LaWana Clary's death - The whole place changed pace for one of our own during that time. And watching the outpouring of support and eruption of poetry for condolences - feeling that words just weren't enough...
...and one of my absolute favorite moments:

Blue Rock (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35212)- William Haskins was a genius with this project. He inspired and brought us together - got people to write poetry who never wrote poetry, Wow - what an incredible thing to be a part of.

Wow, 51 posts on this topic betwee 1:58PM yesterday and 10:31AM today. Don't you people have lives? (Oops, did I just insult myself?)

I'm stealing these two from Trish. To my feeble memory, these stand out.

Stew21
02-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Here's a post for the history books. I think I nearly wet my pants I was laughing so hard.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1485104&postcount=195

for those who don't know the thread - we were discussing religious action figures.

kristie911
02-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Ah yes, the Jesus post by Tour. Classic. :roll:

Stew21
02-21-2008, 10:16 PM
A lot of that thread was funny, but that one post - Jeez, I think I told EVERYONE IRL about that.

kristie911
02-21-2008, 10:20 PM
I know Pete and Carrie's comedy threads have been mentioned but I loved those! Pete and Carrie need to come back for an encore performance.

The blackout stands out in my mind because during that time I would open my computer and have no idea what to do with my on-line time. I got a lot of writing done.

The GJ blow-up was tons of fun to watch...but then I'm a bit of an ambulance chaser anyway. :D

And, of course, I don't know what I would do without the HOL!

Susie
02-21-2008, 10:24 PM
There are a lot of great threads including this one, but I have to say the thread I started :) The House of Peace, Calm and Serenity makes me happy cause it makes others peaceful, calm and serene. And to mention, the Greeting Card forum, ORPCC and the Biscuit Roll Call, etc., etc.

Shwebb
02-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Along the same lines as the action figures, I've always held a fond place in my heart for this thread. (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22061)

Not worth a mention in the history books, but it was good for a laugh. No one took it overly seriously, either. Well, Poet had a moment of remorse, but we cured him of it quickly. :e2seesaw:

Stew21
02-21-2008, 11:17 PM
I don't know Shwebb, calling the gift shop Holy Crap might have to be in the history books. I lmao - that thread was before my time. What a bummer that i missed that one.

Stew21
02-21-2008, 11:21 PM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33941&highlight=Riddles

Ah, the riddles thread. good times.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-21-2008, 11:51 PM
I kinda liked the Auctions... :e2cry:

KTC
02-22-2008, 12:00 AM
I kinda liked the Auctions... :e2cry:

Best jam ever! And who else can say they have a Clockwork Chris original on their wall! (I mean, besides the other auction winners, that is.)

kristie911
02-22-2008, 12:56 AM
And who else can say they have a Clockwork Chris original on their wall!

I have 3! I was addicted to the auctions! :)

writerterri
02-22-2008, 01:11 AM
When my mom suddenly died I received much support and the same when I told my story in the suicide thread.

When Dave DeClary's wife was murdered.

And then the NerdsRus story.

I've been here a long time and I've seen much more happen that made me want to call you people at AW my family members.

There's no other board like AW.

bluntforcetrauma
02-22-2008, 01:13 AM
The history's great. But my fav part is the members. You guys and gals rock so hard I get splattered against the wall!

JAlpha
02-22-2008, 01:47 AM
The Absolute Write Absolutely Aweful Poetry Contest . . .
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17068

Priceless :roll:

Jersey Chick
02-22-2008, 02:31 AM
Definitely Nerds' journey north - it was amazing to see how quickly people chimed in with "What can I do?"

The trolls - gotta love them. And PHENTERMINE - it took me forever to realize it was supposed to be in caps... :D

louisgodwin
02-22-2008, 07:32 AM
Though it happened just before I got here, I always thought Stories of Strength was pretty damn cool. (Makes me wish I had found this place earlier.)

The 2 AW takedowns, the first one courtesy of a disreputable literary agent. And then the second one because of a screw-up by the new hosting company which caused about 4-6 weeks worth of data to be lost.

Blue Rock

The murder of dclary's wife.

PHENTERMINE

The passing of the torch from Jenna to Mac.

The AW Poetry Book (if production ever resumes)

And on a more personal note, the touching show of support and compassion when some sicko attacked two of my horses.

Oh, and the infamous "pearls" remark by William will forever put a smile on my face every time I think about it.

KTC
02-22-2008, 07:37 AM
I have 3! I was addicted to the auctions! :)

Well, okay. But who else besides you.

KTC
02-22-2008, 07:40 AM
The Absolute Write Absolutely Aweful Poetry Contest . . .
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17068

Priceless :roll:

LOL! I got 24 rep comments on how good mine was. People have absolutely NO taste!

benbradley
02-22-2008, 08:53 AM
I got three things offhand that weren't mentioned so far:

A few months ago I got a PM about 8 o'clock one evening saying "we need your help with this thread." I forget the exact details and who bet who what, but the goal was to get the thread to something like 10,000 posts by midnight, and it was only up to 8,000 or so when I joined in. Anyway, we did it.

More recently, Jenna started The Thread Of Great Anticipation as we were waiting for AW's 20,000th member to sign up. That was another thread that practically became a "realtime chat" thread.

Most recently, I've (finally!) had a short conversation in rep point comments. Rumpletumbler started yet another of his infamously provocative threads, this one had a link to a site selling A Certain Product, but apparently the mods found it to be somewhere way, way out in the blue yonder of The Wild, Wild Web just ever so slightly beyond the bounds of good taste, so the link was deleted by the time I read the thread. So I repped him asking for the link, he sent it to me, and we exchanged a couple more rep comments discussing the finer points of this product. It seems the one thing the site was missing is the endorsement "As Featured in The Nutty Professor."

KTC
02-22-2008, 08:54 AM
I got three things offhand that weren't mentioned so far:

A few months ago I got a PM about 8 o'clock one evening saying "we need your help with this thread." I forget the exact details and who bet who what, but the goal was to get the thread to something like 10,000 posts by midnight, and it was only up to 8,000 or so when I joined in. Anyway, we did it.

lol. That was my THIS THREAD SHALL DIE thread. Yes...everybody crashed the party and posted like bananas, son.

KTC
02-22-2008, 08:55 AM
Yes...good call. The 20,000 member thread was a good one, too.

Devil Ledbetter
02-22-2008, 08:59 AM
Preyer had a wonderful cooperative story thread in Sci Fi, the name was something like "The most awesomest Sci Fi novel every!" It was hoot. I wish I could go find the link for you, but my patience for searching forums went to sleep two hours ago, when I should have.

Bravo
02-22-2008, 09:08 AM
Here's a post for the history books. I think I nearly wet my pants I was laughing so hard.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1485104&postcount=195

for those who don't know the thread - we were discussing religious action figures.

another one of his best:

It would be nice if all these fabulous and thick people would be kind enough to stand on the subways because it is really annoying to see each of them take up three seats at a time. Maybe the MTA could start hanging donuts from the ceilings of each car to get them up on their feet.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=661290&postcount=123

RIP twobitheroforce :(

p.s. i'm sorry for people that got offended by this. but much like haskins' pearl quote, it really was a great line.

sassandgroove
02-23-2008, 06:57 AM
:heart:

Chumplet
02-23-2008, 07:59 AM
I think the one thread that I remember most is when we all tried to talk down WriterDog, a sweet girl who was having a meltdown. She settled right in after that.

Also, remember when Spooky's boy went missing and was found safe? That was quite a scare.

I still grieve for poor DClary's loss. I wonder if they ever made any progress in the investigation.

With all the highs and lows, I love this place.

William Haskins
02-23-2008, 08:48 AM
another one of his best:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=661290&postcount=123

RIP twobitheroforce :(

p.s. i'm sorry for people that got offended by this. but much like haskins' pearl quote, it really was a great line.

goddammit. i miss gotham.

you took me to a dark place, qaz. thanks a fuckin' lot.

SpookyWriter
02-24-2008, 12:50 AM
Also, remember when Spooky's boy went missing and was found safe? That was quite a scare.Yes, he's doing fine now. But the real hero in my eyes that day was Mac because she was the first person to offer aid and to this day I still can't thank her enough. She didn't even blink an eye with her support and concern. I remain moved by her offer.

Mac surprised me that day and if I were to ever write about the history of Absolute Write, I think a few chapters would be devoted to her.