I should have known better

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reading online, I find that Lexapro causes weight gain and drowsiness! I'm so mad I could bite nails. And to top it off it takes 3 months to get off the crap. It's going down the toilet right now. I'm done with the medical profession.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
be careful. going cold turkey can be really rough. just cut back slowly.

i understand how you feel. it's difficult at best to trust doctors. there are alternative so anti depressants. they just are a lot harder. and take more time.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Don't go cold turkey! It took me about a month to wean off it completely.

Also, it made me drowsy when I started taking it but that only lasted a week and I didn't gain any weight. Not to mention, the stuff helped me so much I nearly wept at my doctors feet.

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
be careful. going cold turkey can be really rough. just cut back slowly.

i understand how you feel. it's difficult at best to trust doctors. there are alternative so anti depressants. they just are a lot harder. and take more time.

I've never trusted doctors. Heck, I was on it for only one day. I don't think there'll be many side effects from withdrawal.

Don't go cold turkey! It took me about a month to wean off it completely.

Also, it made me drowsy when I started taking it but that only lasted a week and I didn't gain any weight. Not to mention, the stuff helped me so much I nearly wept at my doctors feet.

I don't like feeling tired or drowsy. Can't they just make you eat something natural, like... umm... rhubarb pie? May not help, but it tastes good.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Um from your initial post I thought you'd been on it for awhile. I had a friend who was on Lexipro and she actually lost weight. If you take it before bed, it might be a great way to get sleep. Now I'm not a huge fan of medications but if you wanted to try it, why not give it a chance?

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Give it a chance first? You may feel better. Mine is the same type. I can't miss a pill or I feel strange. But I feel better when I'm on the med than when I'm not.

It's up to you though. Maybe you could try something at a health food store. Those have to be watched as well.

Good luck!

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Bluntforcetrauma, please, don't stop it. Give it at least two weeks. I know. For instance, Depakote for many people makes them gain weight and feel tired. Three people in my family have been on it for one thing or another. Two had to switch, but the third person is fine with it. No weight gain, no more sleepiness after a week.

PM me if you need to, okay? Please give it a chance!

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Truly, it's worth sticking with for a little while. I've had weight gain with a few of the meds I've been on in the past, but I can say I'd rather deal with a few extra pounds than to feel I'm stuck in Hell inside my own head, wondering if this is the bottom or if I'm going to fall even farther.

And if Lexapro isn't the med for you, there are still others to try.

Don't give up hope, Rick. :Hug2:

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reading online, I find that Lexapro causes weight gain and drowsiness! I'm so mad I could bite nails. And to top it off it takes 3 months to get off the crap. It's going down the toilet right now. I'm done with the medical profession.

Rick, they ALL say that in their literature. They have to if anyone at all in their studies reported that as a symptom. It doesn't mean that you will necessarily have that problem, though. Trust me, I know. (I've tried a variety of depression meds.)

Last edited:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I've always trusted my doctor. If something didn't work for me, I discussed it with him and he'd recommend an alternative.

Never have understood this doctor bashing stuff.

And all medications have side effects. However, those side effects don't effect everyone. They simply have to list them. My HBP meds give some people coughs or muscle spasms. I haven't experienced either at all. Whereas my cholesterol meds caused my legs to swell (NOT a listed side effect, but it happened anyway) and we switched and everything was fine.

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for getting all riled up. When I take something and it knocks me out, I freak. I don't like feeling tired.

I'll give it a little longer, then make a decision. In the meantime, I'll get back to each of you with reps as soon as time permits.

Love you all.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's okay, Rick. It will take time for the meds to help smooth things out. It was just a temporary panic. Feel free to panic here anytime. We're here to support you.

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
I'm going to reiterate what others have said here, just because it's listed as a side effect does not necessarily mean that it is one. My cousin is a pharmacist and said that when they do trials, they have to report and list anything that happens to the subject as a possible side effect for basically a CYA reason.

And I'll also second the suggestion to try it at night until your body adjusts to its presence in your system, then maybe an hour or two before your bedtime to see if that drowsiness is still a side effect, then talk to your doctor and voice your concerns.

I'm sure you will be fine!

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Whew. And here I was having a panic attack myself thinking "Too late! He flushed them down the toilet!"

It takes time, believe me. And yes, Melissa's right. Take them at night if you can. At least eight hours before you have to get up in the morning. And it might take a week or two for your body to adjust to them.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
By the fifth day on Lexapro, my drowsiness was totally gone and I didn't experience any other side effects. I know I said it once but seriously, it made me feel so much better I would have taken some of the side effects. I couldn't believe what life was like once the anxiety was gone.

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's okay, Rick. It will take time for the meds to help smooth things out. It was just a temporary panic. Feel free to panic here anytime. We're here to support you.

Just wait till tornado season. I panic like as little girl.

I'm going to reiterate what others have said here, just because it's listed as a side effect does not necessarily mean that it is one. My cousin is a pharmacist and said that when they do trials, they have to report and list anything that happens to the subject as a possible side effect for basically a CYA reason.

And I'll also second the suggestion to try it at night until your body adjusts to its presence in your system, then maybe an hour or two before your bedtime to see if that drowsiness is still a side effect, then talk to your doctor and voice your concerns.

I'm sure you will be fine!

Thanks. Once again, the pill knocked me cold. But I'm hanging in there.

Whew. And here I was having a panic attack myself thinking "Too late! He flushed them down the toilet!"

It takes time, believe me. And yes, Melissa's right. Take them at night if you can. At least eight hours before you have to get up in the morning. And it might take a week or two for your body to adjust to them.

I only sleep a couple hours a day. This is gonna really mess with my schedule.

By the fifth day on Lexapro, my drowsiness was totally gone and I didn't experience any other side effects. I know I said it once but seriously, it made me feel so much better I would have taken some of the side effects. I couldn't believe what life was like once the anxiety was gone.

But what about those times I feel so ecstatic that I know I'll take off through the stratosphere? Is that gonna be gone?

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rick, when you described your mental symptoms to the doc, did you mention periods of euphoria, those feelings like you could take off through the stratosphere? That sort of extreme ends points to the possibility that you are bipolar. If he did not know that info before, please call him tomorrow and find out. There are meds for that sort of specific problem that help to stabilize your emotions.

Let us know how that goes, please. We care about you and are pulling for you, with you--for you to be healthy, to feel healthy, again!

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score

BFT,

Don't go off the med until you've had a chance to see if it works for you or not. Also, the weight gain and drowsiness are side effects that some people get, and some don't. You have to take that into consideration, because medications are not like, say, stereos or computers. They don't all work the same for all people.

When I started on anti-depressants, I started on, I think, Zoloft. That med gave me night terrors, so they put me on something else. They continued treating me with differing meds until they found one that worked well with my brain.

My point is, don't give in to the hype. Just because some people gained weight and got drowsy on Lexapro, does not mean you will. You have to experience its effects for yourself, or the doctors won't ever know what will work and what won't, for you.

I'm sorry you're feeling bad about this situation, but please, look before you leap, because what the sites say is not always what's going to happen.

--Sean

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
What's Lexapro?
It's one of those recent "SSRI" antidepressants. Prozac was the original, or at least the "big seller" about 10-20 years ago.

There was a recent thread in which these were discussed, but I hesitate to point it out...

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Lots of great advice and experience on this thread. I have nothing to add except "hang in there and we're all pulling for you Rick!"

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And I wanted to add that when you feel your worst, even while on the pills, you MUST walk for an hour. The endorphins will kick in a lot better than when you're not on the meds and you'll get a kick out of the good feeling from a brisk walk. I have to walk a lot around my period time and it gives me a real boost. Before I was on the meds I didn't feel the effects of the walk. It's almost a manic high I get from walking while on antidepressants. Weird, huh? But I like it. I get a lot done and I am not gaining weight as the pamphlet said I might.

Best!

Status
Not open for further replies.