PDA

View Full Version : Writersmarket.com Gripe

inkkognito
02-20-2008, 08:07 AM
Overall I get some valuable information from my Writersmarket.com subscription, but more and more lately I am finding listings for defunct publications. I wish they had a "report this listing" button or some way to notify them. The latest one is a publication that says it was updated in 5/07 and is still listed as an active market...even though it ceased publication in 5/07 which is well documented all over the pub's website (which is still up).

It's very frustrating to find a listing and get a good idea to submit, only to have your high hopes shattered when you discover it's really a dead-dud.

Sean D. Schaffer
02-20-2008, 08:38 AM
Overall I get some valuable information from my Writersmarket.com subscription, but more and more lately I am finding listings for defunct publications. I wish they had a "report this listing" button or some way to notify them. The latest one is a publication that says it was updated in 5/07 and is still listed as an active market...even though it ceased publication in 5/07 which is well documented all over the pub's website (which is still up).

It's very frustrating to find a listing and get a good idea to submit, only to have your high hopes shattered when you discover it's really a dead-dud.

I've noticed the same thing with WritersMarket.com, and also with Writer's Market 2008 hard copy edition. I sent a query to a couple agencies, early this year, and they were forwarded to the agents that WM said to send the works to ... but they were at different companies!

Also, I've noticed WM doesn't seem to have even half the listings in my genre that the free service, Duotrope's Digest, does. I don't get it. I paid for a year's subscription, and I'm not exactly happy with the results. I will likely not get a Writer's Market again, because of this.

:(

--Sean

Birol
02-20-2008, 08:42 AM
The hardcopy is about six months out-of-date when it hits the bookstores. The last time I subscribed to the online version was two or three years ago, but they just don't keep up with current technological interfaces, let alone with information. I find other online resources to be much more useful and reliable, plus, I maintain my own market listings on my computer, using bookmarks. That seems to be what works best for me.

inkkognito
02-20-2008, 08:49 AM
I agree...the interface is terrible too! I started tracking submissions online but quickly reverted back to my spreadsheet. It's not user friendly, and I also hate the fact that you can't include a submission to a publication that is not in their database.

The subscription has been useful enough to make me feel the price is justified (I like to "wander around" sometimes in the online listings or bring the book to lunch and thumb through it, and I've made some sales that way). But I really don't think I'll renew it next year.

ExposingCorruption
02-20-2008, 11:56 AM
I e-queried an agent whom I found on WM on January 26th and I just got his reply. The email had been forwarded to him by someone because WM had the wrong email address. He requested my book proposal. I probably wouldn't have even found him if it weren't for WM.

DaddyCat
02-20-2008, 03:57 PM
I bought the 2008 Deluxe Edition hoping to try their online database. I ended up never registering because their "privacy policy" indicated they would be sharing my email address with others. Live and learn.

inkkognito
02-20-2008, 07:31 PM
To get around obnoxious privacy policies, use a disposal email address like mailinator.com. It's da bomb!

talkwrite
02-20-2008, 07:41 PM
I have the same problem with them but I can offer a ray of hope. They do respond to email and telephone calls about problems you are having with the site.