PDA

View Full Version : is this a good contract from Ladybug Press?

Laurie PK
02-20-2008, 04:37 AM
Ladybug Press is interested in publishing my book about women in history, but they don't offer advances. They pay 45% on the net price, and they print on demand. They don't have editors so I'm on my own in terms of writing and editing. The most they've sold of one book is 4,000 copies.

Should I be jumping at this opportunity for publication, or do I hold out for something better? It'll take me at least 4 months to write this book.

Thanks for any words of wisdom, or even just first thoughts :)
Laurie

Marlys
02-20-2008, 05:11 AM
No editing, no advance, no print run--doesn't sound like they're investing much into the project, are they? Also, I did a quick search on Amazon, and Ladybug's most recent book came out in 2003.

So, I would think hard about this if I were you. Actually, unless there's more you aren't telling us, I would probably run in the other direction. Sorry!

escritora
02-20-2008, 05:31 AM
I have to agree with Marlys.

ExposingCorruption
02-20-2008, 06:39 AM
It sounds like not many people, if any, would read your book if it is published by Ladybug Press. But your topic sounds like something that is important to you, hence, you would want people to see it.

Thumbs down on Ladybug Press!

Laurie PK
02-20-2008, 05:19 PM
Thanks for your votes :-) I hadn't thought of looking on Amazon, but that's a great way to track their past books.

Bummer. The funny thing is, I had a weird feeling about Ladybug the whole time -- she decided within a day to publish the book, and it just seemed too quick.

I knew it was too good to be true.

On to the next publisher!

escritora
02-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Good luck, Laurie.

veinglory
02-21-2008, 04:51 AM
You also have to watch payment on net. They can cover a lot that way and end up not paying anything at all.

Main question is, do their books sell? I haven't heard of them.