PDA

View Full Version : YOU SAVED MY LIFE! Thank you.

reigningcatsndogs
02-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Today is Independence Day for me. I’m leaving this morning, to start a new life. I’m scared – I readily admit that, but scared is better than ‘floating in a leaking raft on a stagnant cesspool’ (The quote courtesy of a marriage counsellor who was complimenting us on at least not being ‘at the bottom of a toxic well’. I’ve been trying to think of some place to work that into my writing!). At least I’m doing something. It’s taken me 20+ years to realize, acknowledge and then find the guts to do something about it. That would never have happened without this place.

All of you, every day, impact people in ways you can never imagine when you hit the submit button. (Ray Chocolate Pants, you posted something in Spooky’s thread yesterday, and I wanted to crawl through the monitor to kiss you -- preferably after putting on lots of bright red lipstick). There are threads that have made me cry, some that made my blood boil, many that gave me fresh perspective, some that made my heart ache, and way too many that make me spray tea all over the monitor. I have drawn so much strength and wisdom from all of you, and learned so much about myself in the process.

I should probably title this A PRAYER, THREE POEMS, A PICTURE AND SOME STAMPS, because that’s what I’m carrying with me today, all from amazing, caring people here. (They’re sort of my dashboard Jesus for this trip, although I do have a St. Chris on the sun visor!) Having those things where I can see then will be like going on a road trip with old friends. We’ll throw some clothes into the vehicle, and drive for a lot of hours (I’m gonna channel Jason here and his amazing marathon – but I will keep BOTH hands on the steering wheel, okay!). I will have two kids, two dogs, two cats (none of whom have travelled – well, except the kids and the one dog, and two of them are barfers) and will be driving through the mountain pass.

A handful of you knew what was happening, and ‘thank you’ just doesn’t even come close to sufficient. You will never understand the strength and hope you’ve given me. You’ve respected my need for secrecy, you’ve held my hand when I’ve been bitchy and you’ve come to my pity parties. I have one more major bridge to cross on this chapter of my life (google Kicking Horse Pass Bridge and you’ll know what I mean). Once I do that, I’m free!!

I was going to wait until I arrived to post, but, in all seriousness, I’m a really crappy driver!!! More to the point, though, I didn’t want to sneak out with my tail between my legs. As I leave everything behind to start new, I can walk out my door with my head held high, leave the crap behind, and start new on the other side of that frigging rock wall!!

Thank you -- all of you, because I never would have been able to do with without you. :Hug2:

Joycecwilliams
02-19-2008, 07:18 PM
Good luck and God Bless you. I admire your courage.

nerds
02-19-2008, 07:20 PM
oh my gosh.

I walked out on my whole life in 1994 (with young son and pets in tow).

I wish you the best of everything, best of strength, luck, angels, energy, everything. Wow. I didn't know you were going through anything, but I sure do know how big this is. Good luck and godspeed, rcd.

:Hug2: :Hug2: :Hug2: :Hug2: :Hug2:

III
02-19-2008, 07:30 PM
You aren't doing all this just to get your own song, are you RCD? Seriously, have a safe trip and update us when you get wherever it is you're going. God bless.

sunna
02-19-2008, 07:31 PM
Way to go!! Congrats on being brave - I know this isn't easy.

Best of luck, & we're cheering you on. :e2cheer: http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/happy026.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org) :e2cheer:

Bmwhtly
02-19-2008, 07:32 PM
You're welcome :D

Bundles of good luck vibes are headed your way!

Perks
02-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Take good care out there and, for some reason, a line of a song just came into my head for you -

hold this feeling like a newborn

Remember this triumph and high when you're tired and unsure.

Jersey Chick
02-19-2008, 07:39 PM
Those wahoos you hear? They're coming from my neck of the woods! Good luck and here's to the future! :D

quickWit
02-19-2008, 08:33 PM
Be well RCND. See you in your new life. :)

Cranky
02-19-2008, 08:42 PM
Good luck! And bravo to you for having the courage. See ya when you get to where you're going. Be safe.

auntybug
02-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Travel well my dear! Congrats on the new start! Keep us posted :Hug2:
ab

P.H.Delarran
02-19-2008, 08:46 PM
wishing for you the very very best during this journey.

C.bronco
02-19-2008, 08:47 PM
Have a safe trip, Reigning! We'll see you on the other side of the mountain.
Hugs.

talps
02-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Though tempted to dedicate a song in the Radio thread about change & the great sweeping reorganization of a life, I feel that because I don't know the particulars, I oughtta defer song selection & request that our brave adventurer herself go on in and give herself a theme song.

Later, of course, we will have a rousing group sing-along.

Best of luck, RCD!

maestrowork
02-19-2008, 09:10 PM
I want to wish you the best and your todays and tomorrows to be bright and filled with joy and love -- BUT ON YOUR OWN TERMS!

Drive safely and keep us posted on your new adventure on life.

Ray Chocolate Pants, you posted something in Spooky’s thread yesterday, and I wanted to crawl through the monitor to kiss you -- preferably after putting on lots of bright red lipstick).

And you've made my day! I'm glad some silly things I said on a virtual meeting place could be of comfort or amusement to others. And yes, I do prefer a real, true, wet, lipsticked kiss.

JennaGlatzer
02-19-2008, 09:11 PM
Bless you, my dear. Wishing you safe travels and a wonderful new start.

Shwebb
02-19-2008, 09:12 PM
Have a safe trip, and know that we are with you, as well.

What? Doesn't your car hold 20,000 people? Oh, well. I bet you'll have room if you throw out one of those suitcases. Haggis can sit on Ray's lap. You'll have to smack him if he tries to eat the chocolate pants, though. Chocolate isn't good for dogs.

It does take a lot of courage to do what you're doing. It's like a painful birthing process, isn't it?

We'll keep you and your companions in our prayers. Let us know what more we can do.

:Hug2:

maestrowork
02-19-2008, 09:15 PM
GAG, Shwebb. Just GAG. Get that frigging dog off my lap! GAG.

JoNightshade
02-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Godspeed, reigning!

Haggis
02-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Have a safe journey, reigning. I'll save a piece of Ray's chocolate pants for you. And I'll try to make sure his leg's not still inside this time.

Joycecwilliams
02-19-2008, 09:41 PM
Is Mary in contact with anyone on the board, in case she need helps...

Would be more than willing to help her....

maestrowork
02-19-2008, 09:46 PM
Have a safe journey, reigning. I'll save a piece of Ray's chocolate pants for you. And I'll try to make sure his leg's not still inside this time.

Of which leg are you speaking?

davids
02-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Is Mary in contact with anyone on the board, in case she need helps...

Would be more than willing to help her....

yes

CACTUSWENDY
02-19-2008, 10:06 PM
The best of the best to you...I know what you are starting and the road will level out and become so good. Let us know how all goes.

Stew21
02-19-2008, 10:11 PM
I know this feeling. I did this with a dog - I didn't have kids at the time. I left my life and started new.
(It was my music contest entry.) Be strong. Don't forget how brave you are.

And I attached the music contest entry in case there's something in it that gives you comfort, even if just knowing others have gone before you. You are not alone. You are never alone here, and some of us (like me and like Nerds) have travelled that same path.

Big hugs! I'm so very proud of you.

ENTRY #3
The Drive to Free
By Stew21

Sometimes a song defines a moment. You carry it with you from then on. A string - a thread of recognition - links them to one another. The song and the moment become one –tied together.

My golden retriever had gone from pacing the backseat when we first set out on that drive, to slouching with his nose nearly to the floorboard. He stretched out over the seat, his paw dangling over the edge. I thought he put it there to break his fall should his absolute boredom cause him to slide helplessly into a heap onto the floor of the car. The first hour of the trip he wagged. He perched his chin on the back of my seat, offering encouragement and blessing me with kisses of gratitude for the glorious car ride.

My trunk was full. Anything that I wanted with me rather than in the moving van was stacked, jammed into corners, layered with blankets and prayed over before the lid slammed down, compacting it to the trunk-shaped cube it had become on my arrival to my new home, five hours later.

Hour one, we both let our excitement lead the way. We had “gotten outta Dodge”. Did that feel good. The euphoria of the escape and the new adventure carried us out of the suburbs and onto the interstate. We were going south.

We had become road-weary, Dog and I, two hours into the trip. I promised him we’d stop at a rest area for a run at hour three. While we were there, it seemed to revitalize us for the last half of the trip. He and I had never been so free and alone as we were at that rest stop. The world around me seemed accessible and I was closer to Dog then, than I had ever been. For the first time, we were two; we were only two.

In that third hour, I was thankful for the long drive. I understood that it granted me the transition time I would need to get from suburban-dwelling, long-standing employee, wife mindset to small town-dwelling, new employee, single mindset.

Between hour three and hour four when Dog started to droop, I tired of the CD’s I’d brought and turned on the radio for something fresh. Our initial, “here we go, off into the great unknown” excitement and even our revitalization from our stop, had worn down to a dull dread. About that time, the sun stretched down slipping lower on its trek to touch the horizon. As Dog slept, I sang to the radio and I smoked. A lot. I pushed away the worry and fear that had started to creep over me. I batted and swung at it but it kept swooping and diving into me. What was I doing? I had to be out of my mind to just move house and start over with no one and nothing. I did not know a soul. Terrifying. The sensation of failure tickled my nerves and knotted my stomach. I was making a gutsy move, and the haunting words, “you will fail. You can’t make it without me,” came to me. I thought I would vomit. Instead, I drove. I sang. I thought, if I just kept driving, I could outrun those words. I can beat the negative if I get far enough away. I drove to escape the fear.

Between hour four and hour five, the transition neared its end. The elated feeling of “here we go into the great unknown” had come back only more forcefully, and with more vinegar to my tongue. The clichés tortured me, “no turning back.” The highway signs indicated how close I was. Those words that once sounded so adventurous, now, just sounded scary. The sun and Dog were equally low on their own horizons. I was nearing mine.

The final highway exit jolted me. My pulse quickened. I gripped the wheel and hit the gas. I turned up the radio, flipped stations; I was unsatisfied with living any longer in the mire in my head. I could create fantasies of the worst possible outcome. I had spent the last two hours doing it. The scenes where I cannot make it alone, do not make friends, hate my job and slither home. I had let those thoughts consume me and let fear tease me into believing I was making a big mistake. I tried to run from the fear but seemed right then to be running to it. And if I was, I was going to run to it at full speed with my eyes wide open.

I steeled my resolve with half hour to go. I threw open the gates. Don’t be such a whiner. Where is your courage, Woman? Take hold of the biggest adventure on which you’ve ever been. Ride it!
Dog’s paw moved from the edge of his seat over the flap of his ear after I cranked the radio. He did not approve of the music I’d chosen – loud, thumping, screaming guitar to pump me up for what I was about to do, about to become. I wanted the music to be faster and more furious than the doubts swirling in my head.

At the edge of my new town, my pulse thrummed in my ears. I pulled to the stop light. Almost there.

I scanned the radio again. I needed the radio to get me there and Mr. D.J. graced me with the perfect song to get me the final stretch home. I smiled and sang along. “Everybody wants to live how they wanna live and everybody wants to love, like they wanna love and everybody wants to be closer to free.”

The beat swept me away. Dog woke up and began looking out the windows. Running from one to the other, gathering the sites, “We’re almost there,” I told him. "We're almost home, Dog." I felt my eyes well. He paced and wagged, licked my face and resembled the dog he was in the first hour of the trip. I danced in my seat, put the windows down, and watched the orange of the sky turn a pale, gilded-edged pink. I listened to Bodeans and let them sing me to where everybody wants to be. Closer to Free. They sang me to my new Free.

When, in those first trying couple of weeks I would feel like I was not sure what I had done, when I got lonely and had yet to make friends, I would think of Dog, the sun, and I all leaning up against our own horizons. I would think of that tiny space of time when we sit so quietly that we can hear our fears whisper dangerous lies into our hearts. I would think of that moment when I was strong enough to cast them away and embrace what lay unseen beyond my horizon. I would think of being closer to free, and realize that no matter how challenging it may have been, it was my freedom. That was my moment.

All these years later, I cannot hear that song without thinking of that drive, the trial it became, the assault I played on my own mind, and the truth that waited for me. A string of recognition connects them to one another – that drive and that song – and it tethers them both to me.

Closer to Free was written by the BoDeans

JLCwrites
02-19-2008, 10:17 PM
Mary!
I am sending out safe driving vibes. You are in my heart and mind right now, and I am so very proud of you! Please please please drive carefully and be sure to give your passengers, and yourself lots of hugs from me. Cheers to the new life you are starting, the clean slate, and a future full of kept promises. You are free, you are in charge of your own destiny, and I am so honored to share this moment with you.
XXXOOXX

Writer???
02-19-2008, 10:24 PM
I was going to wait until I arrived to post, but, in all seriousness, I’m a really crappy driver!!!

Heh heh, yeah, don't scare the shit out of us or anything before you hit the road and become incommunicado for awhile. :scared:

Be safe. Pass all our hugs, prayers and wishes on to the boys (and the animals). Check in when you can, WE'LL BE WAITING!!!! Not nervous or anything, no pressure, no rush, whenever you "getroundtuit". :D

jst5150
02-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Always Keep Moving Forward, RCD. Let us know what we can do to help. :)

III tells me your song is almost done. ;)

Angelinity
02-19-2008, 10:30 PM
go on kick some arse babes. it's your damn life, paint it over.

thumbs up!

stormie
02-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Good for you, reigning!

Kerr
02-19-2008, 10:37 PM
Reign! OMG! You be safe! And I want to know you're alright. It took me a whole year to get brave enough to set out the second time, and that time with my kids grown. I wish you luck and happiness, girl--in abundance!

Writer???
02-19-2008, 11:03 PM
In case anyone was interested...

Kicking Horse Pass Bridge - Construction and Complete - series (http://www.earthcam.net/users2/interface.php?i=0&id=1247&projectid=720&clientid=575)

You can see the completed bridge, or click on play and watch the construction "in motion". A great deal of it takes place in the dark so I did watch the whole thing. Better, is to click on the calendar days to the left and look at the stills.

And for those with slow connections here's a picture from google.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb83/CarsNGuitarsPics/photo_kicking-horse.jpg

And, keep in mind, it's probably snow or ice covered and I think flurries are expected.

writerterri
02-19-2008, 11:19 PM
Have a safe trip, good luck, much love and warm thoughts! Check in when you can.

You can do it! Dork.

Terri

Jean Marie
02-19-2008, 11:29 PM
Be safe, reigning. And, good for you :)

Pat~
02-19-2008, 11:43 PM
Travel safely, rc&d...that's an awesome bridge you're crossing (in more ways than one). Keep in touch with us, and let us know how you're doing. (And the cats, dogs, and kids. :))

escritora
02-19-2008, 11:48 PM
Congrats on the decision to live your life all over again. Be safe.

Susie
02-20-2008, 12:06 AM
Mary, my arms are around you in comfort and love and know that things will be ok for you and yours. Anytime you need to talk I'm here for you, as you know, and praying your new life will be wonderful - you so deserve it. Trish that's beautiful and so glad it worked out for you and Dog. :Hug2:'s

sassandgroove
02-20-2008, 12:10 AM
Be safe and enjoy the adventure.

Autodidact
02-20-2008, 12:25 AM
You may find yourself needing support during this time of transition. Don't be shy in posting as needed; we're on your side.

Devil Ledbetter
02-20-2008, 01:57 AM
Wow! Best of luck to you!

KTC
02-20-2008, 03:05 AM
Hey Mary. Thinking about you today helped to get me through my own trecherous day. I hope you check in soon and let us know you are okay. I need to hear some good news today. I need to hear good news from you. (-:

melaniehoo
02-20-2008, 03:31 AM
Mary, good luck. It sounds like you've had a lot of support and encouragement to get you to this point and I'm glad you're not alone.

I look forward to hearing what's next for you. :)

Shweta
02-20-2008, 03:32 AM
Travel safe, Mary, and good luck, and go you:Hug2:
And you'll say if we can do anything, right?

davids
02-20-2008, 03:32 AM
ALRIGHT ALRIGHT EVERY BODY STOP WORRYING IT MIGHT BE A DAY OR TWO BUT MARY IS MARY QUITE CONTRARY NOW HER Fing GARDEN AT LEAST HAS A CHANCE TO BLOOM!

Bravo
02-20-2008, 03:34 AM
i have absolutely no idea what this thread is about, but...

you're welcome.

saving lives is what i do.

Sean D. Schaffer
02-20-2008, 03:41 AM
i have absolutely no idea what this thread is about, but...

you're welcome.

saving lives is what i do.

I don't know much about what's going on either, but best wishes to you, reigningcatsanddogs. Safe journey.

:)

--Sean

SpookyWriter
02-20-2008, 03:55 AM
(Ray Chocolate Pants, you posted something in Spooky’s thread yesterday, and I wanted to crawl through the monitor to kiss you -- preferably after putting on lots of bright red lipstick).Have a safe trip Mary. I'm glad for you, really. Hurry back when you're settled and say hello. I know lots of people will be worried about you until we know you're safe.

And Ray, which thread? I hope it wasn't the drunk spelling one. :D

Mandy-Jane
02-20-2008, 04:38 AM
Stay safe! :Hug2:

Sean D. Schaffer
02-20-2008, 05:17 AM
I don't know much about what's going on either, but best wishes to you, reigningcatsanddogs. Safe journey.

:)

--Sean

Now I do know what's going on, and I wish you a safe journey even more. I hope you find what you're looking for in life. :) This kind of situation is not easy; I have a friend who has gone through what you're going through, and she's basically done the same thing. It's helped her life and her self-esteem out immensely.

Best wishes to you and yours. :)

--Sean

maestrowork
02-20-2008, 05:51 AM
And Ray, which thread? I hope it wasn't the drunk spelling one. :D

I think it was the post in which I confessed of being an untrainable monkey.

joyce
02-20-2008, 05:53 AM
Mary,
I wish you and yours all the best! A long time ago I walked out on my life and left everything behind except the kid and dog. I was so scared, but my life had a new beginning. I've never looked back with regrets. In fact, it was the best thing I ever did for myself. Good luck with everything and please keep in touch.

TrainofThought
02-20-2008, 06:14 AM
Good for you, reigningCatsnDogs! I wish you, the children and the dogs a safe journey. See you on the other side - freedom.

"Be Safe, Be Good, Be Kind and We'll see you when We'll see you."

reigningcatsndogs
02-20-2008, 07:16 AM
It's been a really really long day. We've been through snow, fog, ice, sunshine..... BUT I MADE IT OVER THE DAMNED BRIDGE MYSELF:D.
We just arrived. Thanks so much for your prayers and good wishes -- this is the best place ever.

Jay -- I started laughing in the middle of nowhere because the car in front of me had the plate JAY 111, and the boys were eating Pringles!

Gotta get some grub to the grubs. Thanks so much:Hug2:

Joycecwilliams
02-20-2008, 07:24 AM
It's been a really really long day. We've been through snow, fog, ice, sunshine..... BUT I MADE IT OVER THE DAMNED BRIDGE MYSELF:D.
We just arrived. Thanks so much for your prayers and good wishes -- this is the best place ever.

Jay -- I started laughing in the middle of nowhere because the car in front of me had the plate JAY 111, and the boys were eating Pringles!

It is only the first of many bridges you will make it over by yourself...

Good Luck, take care and get some rest...

hugs
joyce

TrainofThought
02-20-2008, 07:28 AM

Gotta get some grub to the grubs. Thanks so much:Hug2:Congrats on the bridge hurdle. Here are some lyrics by Wynonna Judd you might enjoy.

When I reach the place I'm goin'
I will surely know my way
And I will turn and look inside me
And bid farewell to one more day

Every light begins with darkness
Every flower is once a seed
And with the sun and wind to test us
We are bound to be released

I will fly beyond this valley
I will open up the gate
And when I reach the place I'm goin'

We have hands to hold our sorrow
We have tears to heal the pain
And though your eyes ask many questions
On your lips I hear my name

I was born without a whisper
I was born beneath the rain
But when I reach the place I'm goin'

Soccer Mom
02-20-2008, 07:29 AM
:hooray:

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/funny-pictures-raccoon-baseball-safe.jpg

AmyDoodle
02-20-2008, 07:37 AM
Prayers are headed your way as you conquer your mountain. Godspeed. Congratulations for putting that bridge behind you. It's the first of many. You'll do fine!

choppersmom
02-20-2008, 07:47 AM
Glad to hear you're safe and sound, Mary. Keep in touch!

SpookyWriter
02-20-2008, 07:53 AM
Mary, Mary quiet the contrary
how far does the bridge go,
you ran a far
and without mar
in a safe car,
with boys
and your hope in tow.

Mary, Mary quiet the contrary
you came so far
and without mar
in a safe car,
with boys
and your hope in tow,
so now where do you go?

Mary, Mary quiet not the ordinary
you afar but not so
and without mar
safe and afar,
with boys
and your hope which will again know joy.

Cassiopeia
02-20-2008, 07:59 AM
Here's one of my favorite songs by Wynona Judd

"Rock Bottom"

When you hit rock bottom
You've got two ways to go
Straight up
And sideways
I have seen my share of hard times
And I'm letting you know
Straight up
Is my way

Things are tough all over
But I've got good news
When you get down to nothing
You've got nothing to lose
I was born naked
But I'm glory bound
And a dead end street
Is just a place to turn around

[Chorus]

When the sky is the limit
Up on easy street
Rock bottom
Ain't no place to be
Rock bottom
Ain't no place for me

When the law of the jungle
Is the law of the land
Good luck
Stayin' alive
I keep a clinched fist under
This hat in my hand
'Cause only the strong survive

Things are tough all over
But I've got good news
When you get down to nothin'
You've got nothin' to lose
Anyway, rock bottom
Is good solid ground
And a dead end street
Is just a place to turn around

When the sky is the limit
Up on easy street
Rock bottom
Ain't no place to be
Rock bottom
Ain't no place for me

bluntforcetrauma
02-20-2008, 08:03 AM
Good luck and may G-d bless.

Siddow
02-20-2008, 08:05 AM
I'm beaming with admiration of your courage.

(ahem) You go, girl!

KTC
02-20-2008, 08:06 AM

Hey, Mary. Today I have a new hero. You're it. Take a bow.

JLCwrites
02-20-2008, 08:49 AM
Oh! Thank the Lord! You are safe!
http://www.freesmileys.org/sigs/sigs-tv-002.gif http://www.freesmileys.org/sigs/sigs-tv-002.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/sigs/sigs-tv-002.gif
Happy Dance!

Terran
02-20-2008, 09:31 AM
God-bless and Godspeed.
Stay safe and may you find the happiness you and your's deserve.

Writer???
02-20-2008, 10:32 AM
Good-night brite northern star.
Beacon of strength that traveled far;
guiding light of protection
for those who follow your direction
and are your precious concern.
Set easy in the coming sun
and rest from the journey done.

Prayers of thanks and continued strength offered for you and the boys.

ascribe
02-20-2008, 01:16 PM
If you made it over that bridge in those conditions, you can tackle anything.
Wishing you happiness in your new place. :Hug2:

maestrowork
02-20-2008, 05:07 PM

It's a sign.

What kind of sign? I think only Jay III knows. (but psst, his real name is Bozo)

nerds
02-20-2008, 05:13 PM
I wonder if there should be a name-change, to Absolute Life-Saving. Saving Lives Since 1997. When Not Writing, We Save Peoples Everywhere.

:Sun:

maestrowork
02-20-2008, 05:54 PM
I don't save people. I just poke them.

auntybug
02-20-2008, 06:37 PM
I don't save people. I just poke them.

Two questions, Ray.

1)What do you charge?

B) What corner do you work on?

;)

davids
02-20-2008, 06:39 PM
BLAH BLAH BLAH-SO MARY MADE IT OVER A DAMN BRIDGE-BLAH BLAH BLAH-WHAT UP POPSICLE?

III
02-20-2008, 07:24 PM

Like Kevin wrote in his lyrics:

"We'll be with you on your journey"

And the fact that you started your new life with Pringles says volumes about your spirit and intelligence. I'm so excited for you and your boys. Keep us updated! Hugs all around :Hug2:

reigningcatsndogs
02-20-2008, 07:42 PM
Okay, the update. I arrived here to open arms. My mother is 86 and has a very bad heart, but can't get into a facility, so we came here and will take care of her. She was very excited for that, because she has to pay to have everything done for her. She still has her own home, and its too much for her, so this is a good fit for now.

The boys have been incredibly helpful and supportive. Tony is having a bit of a problem understanding all that's happened, because things had to move rather quickly in the end, but we'll work through that. The cats were amazingly good on the trip, and no one barfed.

We left virtually everything behind, but in reality it was all stuff that we would have no room for here. We'll start new, but new is good. And this is just a stop-gap for us. With time, we'll figure out where we want to be, and there is no place in the world that we won't consider (just as long as its warm, because anything north of Calgary in this stupid province is damned frigid!!)

You guys are all totally amazing. :Hug2:

dpaterso
02-20-2008, 07:57 PM
All good stuff, glad to hear it!

-Derek

P.H.Delarran
02-20-2008, 08:06 PM
you're amazing.

davids
02-20-2008, 08:13 PM
you're amazing.

YAH CUTE AND TALENTED AS WELL AS BEING ONE HELL OF A WRITER-SHHHHH SHE MIGHT HEAR US AND GIT AWL SWEEL HAYDED ER SUMPIN!

JLCwrites
02-20-2008, 08:32 PM
:hooray::hooray::hooray::hooray::hooray:

YEA!!!!

Here is some hot buttered rum to keep you warm! :)

http://journal.peishan.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/beverages_hot_buttered_rum_300x450.jpg

stormie
02-20-2008, 08:39 PM
Reigning, what you did took tons of courage, and boy, do you have it! I'm so glad no one barfed on the trip and it went okay. <WHEW>

Now, go have some of Turkey's Hot Buttered Rum. Mmmmmm....

reigningcatsndogs
02-20-2008, 11:24 PM
I can't tell you how happy I am that no one barfed on the trip!!! It was a first, but a very welcome change! Now, to get to that hot rum!!!

Soccer Mom
02-20-2008, 11:26 PM
Care for something to go with the rum?

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/funny-pictures-coffee-frog-biscotti3.jpg

Cranky
02-21-2008, 02:25 AM
Glad you all made it safely! That bridge looked dang scary.:eek:

Chumplet
02-21-2008, 02:34 AM
Sweety, I had no idea you were going through such a rough time. I'm glad you're safe and settled. May the Chinook winds come and warm you up!

reigningcatsndogs
02-21-2008, 05:03 AM
Sweety, I had no idea you were going through such a rough time. I'm glad you're safe and settled. May the Chinook winds come and warm you up!

Yeah, from your lips to God's ears!!! It's freaking cold here!!!

We're getting caught up with ourselves, we got a lot of stuff sorted out today, the animals are are settling in (except I can't be out of Herbie's sight or he panics), and I can get back to writing. Amazing the difference a day makes... yesterday we were looking behind, today everything is in front of us. It's a nice feeling.

stormie
02-21-2008, 05:20 AM
Amazing the difference a day makes... yesterday we were looking behind, today everything is in front of us. It's a nice feeling.
I'm glad for you!
A hug :Hug2:
And some sun to warm you up :Sun:!

The_Grand_Duchess
02-21-2008, 07:11 AM
Good luck my dear!

Sometimes you gotta leave your entire to life to well, live your life. The future is always bright and nothing to be afraid of.

Love ya!

Kerr
02-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Yeah, from your lips to God's ears!!! It's freaking cold here!!!

We're getting caught up with ourselves, we got a lot of stuff sorted out today, the animals are are settling in (except I can't be out of Herbie's sight or he panics), and I can get back to writing. Amazing the difference a day makes... yesterday we were looking behind, today everything is in front of us. It's a nice feeling.

Yesterday you were high on adrenaline, today your feet are coming back to the ground. Tell us. Here is your blog spot. How's is mom? The kids? You? We are all living this life changing experience through you. It's almost like the cell phone commercials. "I have people." We are your's. Tell. :Hug2:

stormie
02-21-2008, 10:38 PM
Good luck my dear!

Sometimes you gotta leave your entire to life to well, live your life. The future is always bright and nothing to be afraid of.

Love ya!
Yep, listen to the Duchess. (Waving hi! :hi:)

CBeasy
02-21-2008, 10:53 PM
Good luck, and congrats on having the courage to start fresh. I know from personal experience how amazing and real the support and friendship of the people on this board is, and how helpful it can be during trying times. Keep it up, and know that we're all here to help and support you in any way we can!

reigningcatsndogs
03-25-2008, 10:19 PM
I just wanted to give a small update, and to again thank you all for the support. You are amazing people, and I have learned so much from you all.

I am back in BC (where its definitely spring and the daffodils are blooming :hooray:), in the house with the boys. It was strange coming back, but we worked out an arrangement so the boys would be back where they were comfortable and where my oldest can start his secondary education in the fall. The boys and the pets are glad to be back in familiar territory, and have jumped right in to get the place whipped back into shape (yes, it's a frigging dirty, gross disaster area). Job applications are being filled out today, and the plan is that I will make a go of the acreage -- I'm pretty sure I can do it, especially with the boys helping out.

There are a lot more changes to come for the house and for the land. If I can show a profit of $2500/yr off the land alone, I can get farm status -- that means decreased property taxes and the ability to add a second residence for either the kids or to rent out. I have to replace the roof over the veranda (the one the snow brought down), but I'm pretty sure we can handle that. There's a lot of fence to be painted, but it just might have to wait for a year or two. I've started making plans to get the irrigation system up and running (I roughed it in two years ago) and that will make a huge difference. Everything more than the veranda and the irrigation will be a bonus, but I'm pretty sure I can do it and still get some writing time. For now, the freezer is still filled with beef (thank you Herman and Howie) and we'll have more than enough produce to get us through.

Thank you so much for all the support. There were, and will be, days where its hard to get one foot in front of the other, but always there is someone at AW to put a smile on me face and hope in me heart. :Hug2:

JLCwrites
03-25-2008, 10:31 PM
I noticed you've been gone a while... and wondered if you were moving. Lots of hugs for you! (Maybe a Christmas tree farm?) Just a thought. :) Glad you are back and safe!
-TL

reigningcatsndogs
03-25-2008, 10:35 PM
I noticed you've been gone a while... and wondered if you were moving. Lots of hugs for you! (Maybe a Christmas tree farm?) Just a thought. :) Glad you are back and safe!
-TL

Thanks, Turkey! All thoughts and suggestions are most appreciated. We've tossed out chickens, turkeys (ooops -- sorry;)), sheep, pigs, bees, more cows... about the only thing I have ruled out is a market garden -- way too much of a time investment for a small return. Hadn't thought about a Christmas tree farm, but certainly worth considering! :Hug2:

Maryn
03-25-2008, 11:29 PM
Turkey's a genius, I tell you!

Last Christmas, Mr. Maryn and I calculated what the place where we cut our annual tree probably hauls in during a typical December weekend. We figured it was about $2200 a DAY, for Saturday and Sunday.

Granted, that was just our educated guess based on the traffic we observed and the price per tree. There's overhead, and high school kids to pay minimum wage to, and the trees do require some shaping and other care to grow into desirable ones, but man, you could make your nut easily, if that 'crop' is of any interest.

Maryn, hoping yours won't have those jumping black spiders

Yeshanu
03-26-2008, 12:33 AM
Trees don't make any noise, nor do they mess the coop and make you have to clean it. You can go away for a weekend to visit your mom, and they won't die.

And I know from my mom's experience that chickens don't really pay unless you've got lots of them. And check out the income tax act a little more closely. Do you have to make a profit of $2500, or have an income of $2500 in order to get farm status? Makes a big difference.

reigningcatsndogs
03-26-2008, 12:50 AM
Turkey's a genius, I tell you!

Last Christmas, Mr. Maryn and I calculated what the place where we cut our annual tree probably hauls in during a typical December weekend. We figured it was about $2200 a DAY, for Saturday and Sunday.

Granted, that was just our educated guess based on the traffic we observed and the price per tree. There's overhead, and high school kids to pay minimum wage to, and the trees do require some shaping and other care to grow into desirable ones, but man, you could make your nut easily, if that 'crop' is of any interest.

Maryn, hoping yours won't have those jumping black spiders

She is genius! I hadn't even thought of trees (other than fruit trees), but we have lots of water here for irrigation, and I can do that myself, and its something that I thought would be really neat many years ago.

Now, about the jumping black spiders...... :eek:

reigningcatsndogs
03-26-2008, 12:53 AM
Trees don't make any noise, nor do they mess the coop and make you have to clean it. You can go away for a weekend to visit your mom, and they won't die.

And I know from my mom's experience that chickens don't really pay unless you've got lots of them. And check out the income tax act a little more closely. Do you have to make a profit of $2500, or have an income of $2500 in order to get farm status? Makes a big difference.

Good point about the profit vs income. I'll check on that right away. Thanks!

As for the chickens, I wouldn't mind a couple for eggs, but I would be more leaning towards some turkeys, I think. :Shrug: A Thanksgiving turkey here in the store runs about $70. Turkey pullets cost about $1.50 each. I've got lots of grass and space for them, would need to get them some grain, and could give them the veggie scraps to pick at. They're just to dirty and foul-tempered.

Yeshanu
03-26-2008, 12:58 AM
Good point about the profit vs income. I'll check on that right away. Thanks!

As for the chickens, I wouldn't mind a couple for eggs, but I would be more leaning towards some turkeys, I think. :Shrug: A Thanksgiving turkey here in the store runs about $70. Turkey pullets cost about $1.50 each. I've got lots of grass and space for them, would need to get them some grain, and could give them the veggie scraps to pick at. They're just to dirty and foul-tempered.

If you're going for turkeys, I think the bronze ones are more hardy than the overbred white ones. And the taste of home-grown turkey (and chicken) is exquisite! Keep some for yourself.