PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Things You Believed

JennaGlatzer
03-21-2005, 12:50 AM
My grandfather convinced me that Raisinettes were chocolate-covered ants. I believed this through at least my teen years.

I believed that if you sniffed something long enough, you would sniff all the smell out of it.

You?

Poppy
03-21-2005, 12:55 AM
My grandmother used to tell me (and I used to believe it) that if you swallowed a watermelon seed, it would grow inside your belly...then she'd add, "How do you think you grew into a Poppy?" hahaha

Betty W01
03-21-2005, 01:03 AM
I believed that finding Mr. Right and getting married automatically meant living happily ever after.

Boy, was I surprised to find out that living happily takes a *lot* of work, compromise, and commitment to God and each other, and has little to do with emotions and fireworks. (Although emotions and fireworks are fun when they come!!)

I believed that "determine" was pronounced with the accent on the first syllable and with short "e" and long "i" sounds (I'd never heard it used in conversation to that point, only seen in writing...)

I believed that anything you ate could probably be improved by the addition of chocolate, bacon, or cheese. (OK, not liver - nothing can improve it.)

Oh, wait, I still believe that! Excuse me... :gone: <ducking out for a bacon cheeseburger and some brownies and a Coca-Cola>

aspier
03-21-2005, 01:33 AM
Smile! That's beautiful Jenna! Re the 'awakening' of a young woman (and this kind of tender naivity) there's this book of Sarah Dunant 'The Birth of Venus' which has a lot of this kind of things in it. Myself ... mm, I can't remember any such 'beliefs' that I had. Is it because I was brought up to be a male?

Only women have this?

mommie4a
03-21-2005, 01:34 AM
My father told me, the day before I left for college and just a few days after I'd turned 18, that if I had sex before I got married, no one would marry me. Thank goodness I listen more to my mother (even if she hates my hair color), who said, don't make the mistakes I made. (No offense intended to folks who stay celibate until marriage.)

Medievalist
03-21-2005, 01:57 AM
I was not generally inclined to take things on face value, with one exception.

I have an older brother--six years older--whom I worshipped. He could do no wrong in my eyes, and I followed the poor guy like a puppy dog. Mostly he was very good to me, but he wasn't an angel, and I'd believe anything he told me.

He told me if I combed my hair at night, the bats that lived in the eaves under the attic roof would attack me.

He told me that the circulation fan and vent in the elevators at the university library were an electronic eye connected to a deadly laser beam that would zap me if I played in the elevator.

He told me photocopying pages in a book would eventually "wear out" the type.

I don't think I believed any of these beyond the age of twelve or so--and I wouldn't have believed them if anyone but my brother had told me. He is now suitably penitent; I don't think he really understood when he was a kid himself how seriously I believed anything he said.

But it worked the other way as well. When the kindergarten teacher told us that storks brought babies I politely but firmly contradicted her.

This did not go over well :)

jdkiggins
03-21-2005, 02:04 AM
Wow this brought back some memeories. LOL

When my uncle was coerced into babysitting, he used to take my ten cousins and me outside geared with paper bags and flashlights to go boon hunting. He told us we had to be very quiet because the thing about boons was they could see in the darkness of night, smell you coming, hear your breathing, and they were very quick. Uncle Joe would sit on the porch sipping his coffee smirking as we crawled on hands and knees through the big yard. The only sound was the leg rubbing of crickets. We’d search for hours then complain to our parents that we never did catch any boons. When I grew older and bought a dictionary I realized why; his blessing was keeping us occupied, watching us have fun, and enjoying his peace and quiet.

Joanne

Cabria
03-21-2005, 02:11 AM
That the devil lived in the ground! When we were young, my best friend and I would take our trusty, metal, soup spoons to the curb near her house and diligently scoop and dig away, in hope of making such an amazing discovery. We would dig away, peering carefully into the dirt for a glimpse of red horn or pitchfork. We'd keep going until we got bored or would find something else more ridiculous to amuse our minds. Never did find the devil! LOL Even a little billow of smoke or flicker of flame would have been exiting.... :D

Debbie

Azure Skye
03-21-2005, 02:13 AM
I used to believe that when I closed my eyes it made everyone around me disappear and when I would open them back up again they would magically reappear. I mean disappear literally.

brokenfingers
03-21-2005, 02:21 AM
I once believed that when a woman asked me if she looked fat in her dress/pants - she actually wanted my honest opinion.

Ha! I was such a fool…..

rhymegirl
03-21-2005, 02:28 AM
My mother had a lot of strange wisdom.

She said if I ate food too late at night I'd dream of my great-grandmother.

She said all babies come into families by picking them out at the hospital.

If you sit too close to the TV you'll go cross-eyed.

What Debbie said about the dirt. She said if we dug too far in the dirt in the back yard we'd reach Hell.

Galoot
03-21-2005, 02:28 AM
I was seven or eight. My neighbor's daughter talked me into helping her paint their fence. She opened the paint can and stirred it up, making slow clockwise circles so as not to slosh the contents over the edge of the bucket.

"Now you try."

I grabbed the stir-stick and slowly made my circles, but counter-clockwise instead.

WHAP! She belted the back of my head.

Shocked, almost crying, I said "Hey! Why'd you do that?"

"You're unstirring it, stupid! Now I have to do it all over again."

jdkiggins
03-21-2005, 02:33 AM
:roll: That's funny, Galoot.

Joanne

Julie Worth
03-21-2005, 02:37 AM
As a child I believed that you got pregnant by kissing, that watermelon seeds grew into vines in your belly if you swallowed them, and that our car knew when you were going to turn and applied the blinker. I believed that the President read three papers at once, in different languages. I imagined that if you gave criminals money, they would stop being criminals. I fantasized buying my own printing press, giving millions to whoever wanted it, but my dad said that was communism.

Once I believed I’d swallowed a battery, even though I couldn’t remember doing that. I believed the human skeleton was solid, like a pile of white rocks. And I believed that dreams were real. I spent half an hour looking for the gold coin I had in my hand one morning when I woke up. Where the devil had it gone?

I believed that dogs were male and cats were female. I wanted to fly in the air and play in the clouds, which I believed were as soft and snuggly as mattresses. I believed that the jets overhead were full of people going somewhere important. I believed that canned spinach would confer great strength if I could only eat it, which I couldn’t.

I thought euthanasia stood for Youth in Asia, and that OD meant Oh Damn, I took too much. I thought adults were mindless robots, that I would never reach puberty, and that I would never have sex.

Once I had sex, I thought I’d never get married. But I did get married, and I believed it would last forever. Then I got married again. Okay, this time it would last forever.

Well, now I’m drawing the line: No more than four divorces.

Next time...it’ll be murder.

jdkiggins
03-21-2005, 02:44 AM
My grandmother told me never to eat taffy because it would pull all your teeth out. To this day, I've never eaten taffy after her showing me her dentures and saying, "see".

Joanne

sgtsdaughter
03-21-2005, 03:09 AM
when my brother told me the "sky birds" would take me away . . . not that any of us ever did know what what the hell they were, but i sure did cry like a fool over that one.

when my brother told me that i would poop little red balls of fire after eating hot peppers--i held it in for three days. honest to god on that one. and for the record, it didn't burn.

when i believed that a man would call when he said he would.

and the best, when i believed that my toys came alive at night. for years of my childhood i stored my toys in a chest, so that they would not come after me in the dark. probally why i poked the eyes out of my dolls--so they couldn't see me. and yes, the fear that my toys would attack me came from my brother. he sure was a devilish little fellow.

annessa

maestrowork
03-21-2005, 03:33 AM
If you chop your fingers off, they'll grow back.

Pearls are eyes of slain dragons.

A monster lives in the school storage room.

A favorite toy (a knight on a horse) disappeared because he ran away...

If you wish for something hard enough, it will come true... (well, this one is not "stupid" -- it just doesn't always work... I'm not a 6'5, 250# He-man yet).

When I have sex with a virgin, she'll go "pop."

The myths about masturbation (can't imagine how many times I checked the palm of my hands...)

j/k about the last one.

jdkiggins
03-21-2005, 03:41 AM
Not so stupid, and I think I still believe this one.

When you see a shooting star, it's suppose to mean another child is born.

Joanne

BradyH1861
03-21-2005, 03:42 AM
I found out that there was no Santa Claus at the time of my son's first Christmas. There I was assuming that Santa would bring him what he wanted...

Brady H.

jdkiggins
03-21-2005, 03:45 AM
Tooth Fairy
Easter Bunny
The monsters under my bed left when my mom told them it was time to sleep.
Lightning bugs were lights for ants to work through the night.

HConn
03-21-2005, 03:49 AM
That I would be a successful writer.

:poke:

Galoot
03-21-2005, 04:20 AM
That the Democrats would win.

mommie4a
03-21-2005, 04:35 AM
OMG! This is true and I've never told anyone before! When I was around 8-10 years old, I used to leave my piano sheet music out on my piano to Partridge Family music thinking that their hip bus would crawl down my street and Reuben Kincaid would peak into windows and pluck me to be part of the show, because you know that Suzanne chick kid actress (who played the youngest Partridge) needed to be replaced! E-V-E-R-Y night for WEEKS I thought I'd be discovered. I think maybe I'm lucky I wasn't??!

SRHowen
03-21-2005, 04:39 AM
hmm, I just can't think of any. I was the kid who didn't believe in santa or the easter bunny--and so on.

Shawn

Dawno
03-21-2005, 04:43 AM
Grampa told me if I pulled a guinea pig's tail his eyes would pop out.

It was years before I realized that guinea pigs had no tails and this was pure hoo ha.

Ignoring completely my own experience as a child, I actually believed that my children would be grateful for the things I've sacrificed for them. Apparently that's something they won't realize until they have children of their own, if I'm lucky, that is. :rolleyes:

JennaGlatzer
03-21-2005, 04:57 AM
I never tried to dig for the devil. I tried to dig to China... CONSTANTLY.

I believed I really had a permanent record, and that it would follow me around until I was dead.

I believed my eyes were going to "stay like that" if I kept crossing them, which is why I switched to rolling them back like a zombie.

I believed all foreign coins were really, really valuable.

Six months ago I believed cat hair melted in the dryer. Boy, did I catch flack for that one.

Rob-rite
03-21-2005, 05:09 AM
That Iraq possessed weapons of mass-destruction...

Trapped in amber
03-21-2005, 05:33 AM
I believed all my toe-nails would drop off and re-grow, just like teeth. My mother told me this when I was very small and terrified because the toenail I'd crushed really was dropping off. I believed it for a very, very long time.
I believed the nurse when she quipped that my foot would have to be amputated, because I'd got a slither of glass in it. She didn't expect me to know what 'amputated' meant. It took a while for me to stop screaming.

My daughter believes that the remote control has an elf in it. When you press the button, the little elf flys to the appliance and presses the button on it, then flys back again. If, for example, a table is in the way, said elf will smack into table and fail to press the button.

She also believes that green 'carpet ants' are helpful, uncrushable creatures that hold down a carpet while you tack it. She has apparently seen them. And we are looking after Allan's keys.

(slaps wrist)
Bad mother:D.

jdkiggins
03-21-2005, 05:41 AM
Oh yeah, China, I remember that one.

And if you don't keep walking you'll fall off the earth as it rotates.

Joanne

Good Word
03-21-2005, 05:45 AM
I believed sex was a rumor some of the big kids made up, because that's disgusting.

I thought that the radio had all the bands and singers actually in the studio and was totally blown away one day when I changed the station and heard the same song.

I thought that Ponce de Leon was a complete idiot, and that when I got older I, of course, would find the Fountain of Youth and never die.

I believed that when I wan't looking at people they stopped moving. I remember watching my friends walk around the side of a building, and sneaking up, peeking around it to catch them in the act of not moving.

I believed that when I joined the Donny Osmond Fan Club and wrote him a letter that he would write me back.

jdkiggins
03-21-2005, 05:49 AM
I thought that the radio had all the bands and singers actually in the studio and was totally blown away one day when I changed the station and heard the same song.

:roll: What am I laughing about? Back when I was a kid, they DID have the singers in the studio. Oh man, now I am feeling like an old lady. :ROFL:

Joanne

alanna
03-21-2005, 06:58 AM
I believed I had a special power that allowed me to turn lights on and off-primarily traffic lights and the light inside my dad's chevy. i also believed that the man who lived in the moon would watch my mom and me on our drive home to keep us safe, since whenever i looked out the window I saw him. oh, and that my grandfather had a direct line of communication with santa.

MacAllister
03-21-2005, 07:26 AM
Heh--I was the evil older sibling that invented wild stories. I convinced my little sister that hot dogs were made of "weiner" (weaner, really) pigs--one baby pig to a pack...and that little things call "B bugs" lived in the grass, and would burrow under your skin, lay their eggs and die, and when the eggs hatched, little bugs would crawl out, and that's why those little bumps on your arms itch so--they aren't mosquito-bites at ALL...and that our family dog was really a wild coyote I'd caught and tamed...and that space-time warps existed in doorways, blinking in and out of existence, and you could step through the front door to the yard and find yourself being chased by dinosaurs, in you didn't poke your head through and look around carefully before stepping out...

She says I still owe her money for therapy bills.

sthrnwriter
03-21-2005, 07:38 AM
Lets see....

I still don't know if this is true or not but some of my friends and I totally believed that if you could unwrap a starburst candy with only using your tongue that meant you were a good kisser.

Another one was that if you sneezed with your eyes open, your eyeballs would pop out of your head or something. I never believed that one but my friend, Kris was totally convinced it could happen.

WVWriterGirl
03-21-2005, 07:41 AM
My dad had me believing that if you took "Hollywood Branch" you'd end up in Hollywood, and that "Hurricane Branch" had a storm at the head of the hollow (holler, to us WV girls) that raged continually.

I was an only child, so it fell to my dad to fill my head with silly stories.

Oh, I also thought that if a kid missed a free-throw in buddy league basketball, it was because the cheerleaders didn't put enough "oomph" into the spell they were casting with their "spirit fingers". That one was my own invention.

WVWG

firehorse
03-21-2005, 07:54 AM
I used to believe my father could change turn stop lights green on command. It was years later that I realized he was looking at reflections of the opposite lights to make his 'predictions.'

You really don't want to know what happens when a motherless daughter with an incommunicative father gets her first period... and doesn't know where to put the tampon. [note: if you're thinking about borrowing this story, don't - it's already in my book :tongue]

Betty W01
03-21-2005, 08:14 AM
I remembered another one - my mom told us when we still believed in Santa that he sent his elves out to watch kids to see if they were being naughty or nice. I spent untold hours freaked out over that one, whipping around and looking over my shoulder out the windows to catch one of them. I was convinced that I was under surveilance 24/7. Wonder if that's where my longtime fear of the dark came from? (And I didn't get over fearing the dark until I became a Christian at the age of 19!!)

When I was very small, I believed my dad when he told us he had an invisible monkey in the glove compartment of his car. When I would ask him why I could never catch sight of it when I threw the compartment open, he'd look at me with a confused expression and say, "He's invisible!"

I believed (well, sort of) that my dolls came alive when I wasn't in the room, so I was always careful to make sure that I set them down carefully, with faces uncovered, so they wouldn't smother.

Little kids are weird.

So are grown-ups - I believed that if I did a good job of raising my kids, they'd turn out just like I thought they would.

(Oh, and Joanne, one Halloween when I was little I was eating Mary Jane peanut butter taffy pieces and I really did pull out one of my teeth! I haven't eaten them since...)

jdkiggins
03-21-2005, 08:28 AM
(Oh, and Joanne, one Halloween when I was little I was eating Mary Jane peanut butter taffy pieces and I really did pull out one of my teeth! I haven't eaten them since...)

Awh, Betty, I'm sorry. I love the smell of Mary Jane's and have been tempted, but now that you tell me this, I'll stick to Jiffy Peanut Butter. :)

Joanne

Galoot
03-21-2005, 09:36 AM
I almost forgot, but my son was home for the weekend and reminded me. Until he was 12 years old he was convinced that I was once a Navy Groundskeeper 1st Class. My job consisted of mowing aircraft carrier decks so the planes wouldn't skid while landing.

CACTUSWENDY
03-21-2005, 09:43 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: ....oh i so enjoyed all of these...sigh...thanks for the laughs.

firehorse
03-21-2005, 09:46 AM
My father used to have a framed photo of a chimpanzee in a sailor hat on his dresser, and he tried to convince me it was him. I think the sailor hat was the giveaway (my dad was in education)... but he did have a bit of a simian look to him ;)

Looking back, I think it's a little odd that my father had a framed photo of a chimp on his dresser.

sgtsdaughter
03-21-2005, 09:48 AM
i believed my grandfather was half human because he left his dentures in a glass in the bathroom. . . i must have been five or so. screamed like there was no end in sight.

and this one i didn't believe, but a very dear friend of mine did . . . he honestly thought that stuffed olives (the greens ones with pimento in them) grew on the trees like that. he also thought raisons grew on trees all shrivelled up.

Nivvie
03-21-2005, 12:37 PM
I don't car what anyone says, I STILL believe that I can make imminent taxis/parcels/visitors arrive/important phone calls happen by going to the toilet. You can bet, as soon as I sit down, beep/knock/ring.
Yes, it's a gift.

My grandmother used to rub raw meat on people's warts and then make them dig a wart 'grave' and bury the meat, then we used to dance around the grave for the wart 'funeral'. As the meat decomposes the wart is supposed to as well.

Although, I always suspected my grandmother of living in an alternate reality, so I never swallowed this.

Richard
03-21-2005, 02:57 PM
Good job too. You'd get warts on your tongue...

Sarita
03-21-2005, 05:34 PM
I thought the boogie man lived in my closet, when my 2 older siblings told me so. One night, I caught my older sister sneaking out of my closet, after scaring the pants off me as the 'boogie man'. I never believed them again!

But then, I became the tormentor to my little sister. My favorite was when I told her that those big white plastic covered bales of hay in the field were marshmallows and the places that had them were marshmallow farms. Poor thing, she believed that until she went to a friends house. They had a farm, and it wasn't a marshmallow farm ;)

mommie4a
03-21-2005, 05:38 PM
Oh the stoplight tricks - my grandfather made us believe that Abracadra was the magic word to make them change.

JoeEkaitis
03-21-2005, 05:41 PM
That "The Golden Rule" applied to publishing.

Maryn
03-21-2005, 05:56 PM
That if you kissed the very tip of your own elbow, right on the point, you could change gender--but you had to do it again to change back.

Maryn

Nivvie
03-21-2005, 07:09 PM
That if you kissed the very tip of your own elbow, right on the point, you could change gender--but you had to do it again to change back.

Maryn

Thank you.
Now everyone at work is looking at me funny.
And I still can't do it.
And my neck hurts.

What if I get someone else to kiss it?

ChunkyC
03-21-2005, 08:14 PM
if you sneezed with your eyes open, your eyeballs would pop out
I fell for that one too! And the monsters under the bed.

I believed that my mother could see through walls because she always seemed to know when my brothers and I were up to no good.

And that if you played too much with your belly button, it would unscrew and your bum would fall off.

Sarita
03-21-2005, 08:21 PM
And that if you played too much with your belly button, it would unscrew and your bum would fall off.

:roll: :roll:

aka eraser
03-21-2005, 08:49 PM
Bellybutton lint was proof positive your guts were coming out.

Tiny people lived in the back of the television and put on the shows that appeared at the front.

Mr. Hoohoo the bogeyman lived in the closet and witches (NOT the modern ones!) lived under the beds and snatched at unwary ankles. So we hopped from bed to bed in order to navigate around the room. (Six of us slept in one bedroom.)

Fish lived in sewers and you could catch them by tying stones to string and lowering them through the sewer grates. (That was one of my most popular columns.)

Our shadows were our souls.

If you ate enough leaves from a shrub you'd get Superman's powers. I always figured I just never ate enough of them.

The gnomes in Mrs. Eastman's back yard used to be kids that she caught raiding her vegetable garden.

rhymegirl
03-21-2005, 09:00 PM
Oh Chunky C....

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

If I laugh any harder, my stomach will explode.

awatkins
03-21-2005, 09:38 PM
When I was very little, my great uncle told me that if you ate brazil nuts, you would blow bubbles--he said they were made of soap. I wouldn't eat them for years! Now, though, I love brazil nuts but to this day I think of that story every time I eat them.

And then there was the monster my dad called Bloody Bones that he said would get little kids who dared go into dark rooms or outside at night. That terrified me for years. I never saw any reason to scare my daughter like that. That's just mean.

reph
03-21-2005, 10:00 PM
I believed that when a woman married, she took her husband's surname as her surname and his first name as her middle name. (That came from seeing my mother's signature: first name, middle initial, last name. Her maiden surname happened to have the same initial as my father's first name.)

I believed that when a baby was ready to be born, it burrowed out of the mother's body like a chick cracking its egg from the inside, and that was why childbirth hurt so much.

I believed that fabric was produced by weaving sewing thread together.

allion
03-21-2005, 11:47 PM
I really could dig to China if I tried hard enough (after 2 feet, I went on to something else) - hey, I was 6 at the time

My cat could lay eggs

The Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, Santa

That I would have a job forever

That HR people would phone me back when they said they would

(I have issues with employment, obviously...)

The boogey man did live in my closet - to this day, I will not go into the back of it

There were little people in the radio who performed the music and news

Same thing with the TV - very tiny people made the shows

Galoot
03-21-2005, 11:53 PM
I believed a seven-pound cellular phone was a miracle of technology. Now you can lose a phone in your spare change pocket. And they play video.

I believed we'd never see anything faster than a 1200 baud modem, because who can read quicker than that? Now my 12-year-old types nearly that fast.

I believed that there couldn't possibly be enough laziness in the world to make TV remote controls really catch on. Now they have remotes for car stereos.

I believed that spending every cent I earned on LPs would, one day, turn out to be a good investment. I haven't been able to find a new needle for my turntable in 15 years.

I believed my 48-cassette carrying case was the coolest thing because it meant I could bring my music anywhere. Now you can carry more music on your keychain.

I never believed in 8-tracks, so I wasn't totally stupid.

maestrowork
03-22-2005, 01:06 AM
I believed the Mexican jumping bean was really alive.

I believed I could really turn my girl cousins into squealing piglets.

I believed peanuts grew on peanut trees.

I believed Santa Clause didn't like me (I never recieved any Christmas gifts).

I believed all the girls in my school thought I was cute.

I believed if I swallowed gum it would stick to my stomach and intestines and I would die.

jdkiggins
03-22-2005, 01:21 AM
This is really gross, but when I was little I remember my grandmother telling my brother to quit picking his nose before he pulled his eyes out.

Joanne

Betty W01
03-22-2005, 01:33 AM
Two of my favorite "dumb things believed by kids" stories:

DS#2 believed he could fly if he ran along our piano bench fast enough, leaped high enough, and flapped his arms hard enough. He was four, I think. He didn't stop believing it until after a week of knocking the breath out of himself over and over. And over. And over. (Actually, he's almost 21 now and I'm pretty sure that he still believes it, he has just come to terms with the fact that he personally can't run fast enough, leap high enough, or flap hard enough. Yet.)

DD#1 believed throughout her entire life that if you jumped up at the very moment an elevator started down, you'd become weightless. It never worked, but she never stopped trying. I have a hilarious video tape of her and a friend in a glass elevator, taken by another friend from outside, as they bent their knees and waited for just the right moment, and then leaped, landed, and cracked up. She was 21 and an aerospace engineering major at USNA at the time. Even being a rocket scientist doesn't save you from dumb thoughts, apparently...

Sarita
03-22-2005, 01:33 AM

Oh well, we all think you're cute!

jdkiggins
03-22-2005, 01:41 AM

If that's your real pic in your bio, no wonder. :)

Joanne

tfdswift
03-22-2005, 01:42 AM
I believed the moon was made of green cheese. When I asked my seventh grade science teacher, he said it was and so I believed for a very long time.

My Mom told me if I ate raw potatoes I would get worms.

My Father in Law said that if I turned my son upside down before he was three I would flip his liver and kill him. He truly believes this one.

I believed in Santa, the Easter Bunny, the tooth fairy forever.

I still believe in fairies, Not the cartoon kind but these little white things that fly around here. My grandma said if you wish on a fairy and then release her, your wish will come true.

And I still find myself wishing on falling stars or the first star in the sky.

I believed there was gold at the end of a rainbow. Until the day I saw the beginning of a rainbow in one feild and the end in another field and there was no gold.

I belived that all creatures in the dark were stopped simply by covering up with a blanket.

I know I have lost all respect... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_18_5.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYY91US)

~~Tammy

Wandering Sensei
03-22-2005, 02:13 AM
I believed the Mexican jumping bean was really alive.

You mean...they're not?

When I was very little, my kindergarten teacher read us a story where one character tells another that Fig Newtons were actually made up of ground-up worms. I don't believe that anymore, but I still don't eat them. The idea is stil with me.

I used to believe in Santa Claus but I thought he was one cheap b*stard because he never got me what I asked for. All I got was stupid stuff that I specifically didn't ask for.

At the back of the closet when I was a kid, was the door into a spooky little attic. For some reason I believed that there were owls in there, who watched me when it was dark, and I was afraid of them. Where I got that from, I don't know.

I believed that the car headlights that went across my room at night were actually ghosts.

I believed that I could fly, like Peter Pan. Well, I couldn't, obviously, but that was only because I'd lost the knack. If I practiced, it would come back. (No, I never tried to fly off the roof or anything. I was gullible, not stupid.)

I honestly believed that my (now ex)husband loved me....

And I believed that I would sell novels and become a famous novelist by the time I was 30.

JennaGlatzer
03-22-2005, 02:28 AM
My Father in Law said that if I turned my son upside down before he was three I would flip his liver and kill him. He truly believes this one.

:roll:

awatkins
03-22-2005, 02:28 AM
I really could dig to China if I tried hard enough

Oooh, my little brother and I believed this, too. Spent hours digging in the front yard and sometimes we even convinced our cousin to help. Maybe this is an idea I should pass along to the grandsons. Their mommy would love that. *snicker*

mommie4a
03-22-2005, 02:35 AM
I believed my mother-in-law thought I was the best daughter-in-law.

Ella
03-22-2005, 02:59 AM
I have a little tiny white scar on my wrist. When I was about 7, I asked what it was, and my aunt told me that it was worm, caused by picking my nose.

I was in a state of semi-disbelief for a few months.

sthrnwriter
03-22-2005, 04:45 AM

Sara's right. We all think your cute. It's their loss.

WVWriterGirl
03-22-2005, 05:46 AM
Oh, yeah, and a story from the mouths of babes (my two stepsons, about 7 and 9 at the time). They were in the back seat of the car on the way to spend the weekend at our house when we passed one of those massive power plants that look like a nuclear reactor. The plant must have been active that day, because steam was rolling from the huge column-thing.

Shane and Christopher (the stepsons) are arguing quietly in the backseat. I couldn't really make out what was being said, until Shane piped up and said, "Dad, would you tell him that that's where they make clouds?"

My husband and I looked at each other in total bewilderment. "What?" I said, turning to look at him. "That's where they make clouds. That's what (some relative, can't remember who) told me."

Christopher, all the while is cracking up. Through his own stifled giggles, my husband had to break the news as gently as possible. Now, we can't help but call power plants "cloud factories". It's just too priceless.

(By the way, the young man who made this timeless remark is now 16 years old, and bringing this up brings him no end of embarassment. We do it as often as possible.)

WVWG

SRHowen
03-22-2005, 06:02 AM
Oh, yeah, and a story from the mouths of babes (my two stepsons, about 7 and 9 at the time). They were in the back seat of the car on the way to spend the weekend at our house when we passed one of those massive power plants that look like a nuclear reactor. The plant must have been active that day, because steam was rolling from the huge column-thing.

Shane and Christopher (the stepsons) are arguing quietly in the backseat. I couldn't really make out what was being said, until Shane piped up and said, "Dad, would you tell him that that's where they make clouds?"

My husband and I looked at each other in total bewilderment. "What?" I said, turning to look at him. "That's where they make clouds. That's what (some relative, can't remember who) told me."

Christopher, all the while is cracking up. Through his own stifled giggles, my husband had to break the news as gently as possible. Now, we can't help but call power plants "cloud factories". It's just too priceless.

(By the way, the young man who made this timeless remark is now 16 years old, and bringing this up brings him no end of embarassment. We do it as often as possible.)

WVWG

On a school field trip in Germany (they have lots of wind farms there)(you know wind power mills) I overheard a dad ( a doctor) tell his son that that's where wind came from. My daughter started giggling. But this guy's son I think believed his dad.

Shawn

JanaLanier
03-22-2005, 06:44 AM
When I was three years old, my family moved, and my parents shipped my sibs and I off to the grandparents for a couple of weeks while they got settled and while my mom had baby #4.

When I finally got to our new house, there was a new baby sitting there in the family room. I assumed that when you got a new house, a new baby came with it. Sort of like a door prize!

Galoot
03-22-2005, 08:07 AM
I overheard a dad ( a doctor) tell his son that that's where wind came from.
That's a good one.

Liam Jackson
03-22-2005, 11:29 AM
Things I once believed and the age when I learned differently

That people are defined by the work they do. (mid 30s)

That writing is easy. Well, I suppose it is. Writing well on the other hand... (Recently. This one is ongoing)

That all teachers were overpaid.

A T-Rex ate my grandfather. This one courtesy of my grandmother. (10ish)

History is a useless subject. (20-something)

That Calculus II wasn't a useless subject. I haven't used it once since leaving school and that was a gazillion years ago. (20-something)

The middle school girls gym lockers were located on sacred ground. (14...a girlfriend burst that bubble for me)

A dog wouldnt bite if you stared it down. (16- the hard way)

sthrnwriter
03-22-2005, 12:55 PM
And I still find myself wishing on falling stars or the first star in the sky.

I still do that one too.

Also my mom use to tell me that if your nose itched that meant someone was thinking about you.

Galoot
03-22-2005, 01:10 PM
Also my mom use to tell me that if your nose itched that meant someone was thinking about you.I was told that when your ears rang it meant someone was thinking of you.

I was also told to name names in my head, and when the ringing stopped I'd discover exactly who it was that was thinking of me. Right around the time puberty hit I started listing only pretty girls at school. The ringing would stop and I'd think "Ooo, Michelle Foster is thinking about me!"

This is how young stalkers get their start.

sthrnwriter
03-22-2005, 10:10 PM
I was told that when your ears rang it meant someone was thinking of you.

I've heard like three different well including yours its four versions of it. I've heard some people say their nose others say their ears. One of my friends use to say when her hand itched that someone was thinking about her. I'm sure there are more.

maestrowork
03-23-2005, 01:35 AM
Oh yeah, that when I sneezed someone was cursing me. (I still believe that)

That if I eat an apple a day, I won't ever need to see the doctor.

That my baby teeth would keep falling as long as I lived.

That if I dreamed about teeth falling, someone I loved would die.

firehorse
03-23-2005, 03:25 AM
I was told that when your ears rang it meant someone was thinking of you.
I was taught the same thing, and then ten years ago, after a particularly virulent and nasty ear infection, I developed permanent tinnitus in both ears. I just don't know many people, much less ones who would be thinking about me - in both ears - 24/7.

I still wish on stars, especially falling ones. And I still believe that you have to finish your wish before the star falls out of sight.

Dawno
03-23-2005, 04:19 AM
I believed the Mexican jumping bean was really alive.Isn't the Mexican jumping 'bean' actually a larvae that you find on certain shrubs? So it's not a bean but it is alive (well, was at some point).

BlueTexas
03-23-2005, 04:35 AM
Wow this brought back some memeories. LOL

When my uncle was coerced into babysitting, he used to take my ten cousins and me outside geared with paper bags and flashlights to go boon hunting. He told us we had to be very quiet because the thing about boons was they could see in the darkness of night, smell you coming, hear your breathing, and they were very quick. Uncle Joe would sit on the porch sipping his coffee smirking as we crawled on hands and knees through the big yard. The only sound was the leg rubbing of crickets. We’d search for hours then complain to our parents that we never did catch any boons. When I grew older and bought a dictionary I realized why; his blessing was keeping us occupied, watching us have fun, and enjoying his peace and quiet.

Joanne

My Grandpa used this trick, but we would go riding in his truck looking for 'dinglebobs' on dark nights. They had red beady eyes and could jump down from trees, which they often did, thumping on the roof of the truck as they landed. It took me a long time to realize Grandpa always had an arm out of the truck window....

WVWriterGirl
03-23-2005, 07:13 AM
I've always heard if your nose is itching, someone's coming to see you. If your right palm itches, money is on it's way. If the left palm itches, you'll be losing money. If you get a sudden shiver it's because either someone or a duck (I've heard both, strangely) just walked over your grave. Hmm...what else...oh, if your ears are burning, someone's talking about you.

Then, of course, there are the old stand-bys like the penny on heads for good luck, if you step on a crack you break your mother's back (always kinda silly, but I avoided cracks in the sidewalk like the plague when I was a child), and my favorite, "Red sky at night, sailor's delight; red sky in morn, sailors be warned" to predict the weather for the next day/day ahead.

WVWG

DaveKuzminski
03-23-2005, 07:27 AM
There's a factual basis for the red sky sayings.

sgtsdaughter
03-23-2005, 07:38 AM
My Grandpa used this trick, but we would go riding in his truck looking for 'dinglebobs' on dark nights. They had red beady eyes and could jump down from trees, which they often did, thumping on the roof of the truck as they landed. It took me a long time to realize Grandpa always had an arm out of the truck window....

funny. . . that made me think of an old prank my Grandpa played on us--the exact same thing. how funny.

reph
03-23-2005, 08:24 AM
funny. . . that made me think of an old prank my Grandpa played on us--the exact same thing. how funny.
Maybe you're cousins.