PDA

View Full Version : Worst Night Ever

DamaNegra
02-19-2008, 11:29 AM
This has been the worst night ever. I was in my room, minding my own business, my music as loud as my speakers would handle, when all of a sudden I felt as if someone was calling my name but I couldn't hear them over the sound of my music. So I turned the music off and after a few seconds I heard my mom trying to yell out my name.

I rushed down to see what was wrong (it was already 11.30 pm or so) and saw her sitting in a chair. When I turned on the light, I saw she was all pale and shaky and didn't look good at all. So I helped her into the car and rushed her to the hospital. My dad was at a dinner, so I had to drive her by myself in the rain. I don't ever, ever want to see my mom half-fainted on a wheelchair again. It's got to be one of the most horrible experiences, all I could do was hold her hand and whisper "It's okay, it's all right, we're at the hospital and the meds will get you fixed up before you even know it" while she writhed and winced in pain. And all I wanted to do was yell WHY THE /#&$& ARE THE MEDS NOT WORKING? WHY IS SHE STILL IN PAIN?

And then my dad came to the hospital and he was a wreck, he couldn't even find his voice because he was so scared so I just told him everything was all right and maybe he should sit down. Mom throws up and it's horrible, my dad goes all pale and starts shaking while the nurse and I hold my mom up, and I start rubbing her back like she did to me when I was little, and all I could do was wait till it was over while my dad looked on, terrified. Afterwards, I sent him back home because he looked awful and was so worried he wasn't really going to be of much help. The painkillers kick in after a while and she became a little more comfortable, so then they took her off to do some tests or something.

So here I am, at the hospital, I even brought my laptop because I've got a shitload of homework but you know what? That's not even important right now, all I want is mom to be okay, I want this to be just something she ate or I don't know, nothing really grave, I want to be home, it's already 1.30 am and I need to sleep, but if mom has to stay at the hospital I'll have to go to the house and take care of my brother and my father.

Any prayers are welcome, please, I'm really scared and I'm kind of alone with all of this. Thanks for listening to me.

dpaterso
02-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Big :eek: Phone your family and friends! Doesn't matter what time it is! They'll be upset if you don't share the load with them.

-Derek

Jo
02-19-2008, 12:14 PM
Big :Hug2:, Dama. Sending best wishes as fast as they'll travel. I'd also send matches for those eyelids, but I reckon they'd take too long to get there. Eat something if you can, just to keep your strength up for now. And keep hydrated.

Hugs again.

Writer???
02-19-2008, 12:32 PM
All I want is for your mom to be okay as well. I am praying for her and the rest of your family.

I don't know what your spiritual or Karmic beliefs are but I'll just share with you that just today I went through the AW pictures thread and got to know you a little. Interesting to say the least, that both should happen on the same day.

Sorry you had to go through this. I'll be online for awhile yet so call out if you want to talk. :Hug2:

TheIT
02-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Hang in there, and good luck to your mom and the rest of your family. Keeping my fingers crossed.

:e2grouphu

Mandy-Jane
02-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Thinking of you and your family too. I hope things get sorted with your Mum as soon as possible and you are all safe and sound at home together.

Cassiopeia
02-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Thank you for letting us know you need us. You aren't alone. Never alone as long as you have us and your family and friends. Keep talking...keep posting and you'll get through it.

kristie911
02-19-2008, 12:52 PM
I'll keep you and your mum in my thoughts, Dama. Hang in there! :Hug2:

DamaNegra
02-19-2008, 01:03 PM
Quick update: mom's back home and asleep right now. She had a few things, not too bad but they were combining to cause her a lot of pain. Plus, it was her kidneys which were hurting her, and her family has a history of serious kidney disease, so we were kind of scared about that. She's been given medication and she'll go for a checkup tomorrow. I arrived home half an hour ago (2.30 am) and am about to start my homework.

I'm really glad I was able to help my mom and be there for her. A year ago I would've just panicked and started calling everyone for help. At least I was useful. Thanks everyone for all your kind thoughts :) I'll have to go now and get some work done. Sorry I panicked.

Jo
02-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Good stuff, Dama. And no, you didn't panic. You did great. Hope everything works out well with your mum--and your homework.

Writer???
02-19-2008, 01:23 PM
Good job from good and loving daughter. Glad your mom is home and getting some rest. Good luck on the homework.

bluntforcetrauma
02-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Quick update: mom's back home and asleep right now. She had a few things, not too bad but they were combining to cause her a lot of pain. Plus, it was her kidneys which were hurting her, and her family has a history of serious kidney disease, so we were kind of scared about that. She's been given medication and she'll go for a checkup tomorrow. I arrived home half an hour ago (2.30 am) and am about to start my homework.

I'm really glad I was able to help my mom and be there for her. A year ago I would've just panicked and started calling everyone for help. At least I was useful. Thanks everyone for all your kind thoughts :) I'll have to go now and get some work done. Sorry I panicked.

I prayed and was moved in my spirit. The Lord can work miracles on kidneys. I'm a walking miracle.

As for your handling of the situation- You're growing up, baby. I admire you. For your mother: :Hug2:

Bmwhtly
02-19-2008, 01:29 PM
Nothing wrong with panicking a little, Ms Dama.
We're here if you need us again, K?

Shweta
02-19-2008, 01:56 PM
:Hug2:Dama.
Wish you'd never had to have such a night, but I'm glad things are under control.

nerds
02-19-2008, 03:31 PM
:Hug2:

You did an excellent job. (I'm betting you'll never play music as loudly again :) - being able to hear surrounding sounds is a good thing.)

And the best of wishes for better days for your mom, godspeed to your family. Remember that you're not alone.

Fenika
02-19-2008, 04:04 PM
Glad to hear everything worked out. Give your mum a big hug in the morning!

sunna
02-19-2008, 04:18 PM
:Hug2:What a scare! You did wonderfully, though. :Hug2:

Glad to hear everything is going better, Dama. Best wishes for you and your family.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-19-2008, 04:45 PM
Well, I missed it all and wasn't here for the handing out of hugs and comfort!

I'm glad you got home and it's looking better for your mom... I'll keep sending good thoughts your way - share some with your mom (and your dad).

Well done, Dama!

Stew21
02-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Hugs Dama! Sitting in a hopital in the middle of the night without someone who's sick is a horrible feeling.You were very strong for your mom and dad.
Hugs to you, and hope your mom is recovering.

Sarita
02-19-2008, 05:15 PM
(((Dama))) I'll be thinking of you both today. I hope you and your mom can catch up on some sleep and she improves.

CaroGirl
02-19-2008, 05:16 PM
I'm glad to hear things have settled down. You should be proud of your strength and maturity in the face of that difficult situation. All the best to you and your family.

reigningcatsndogs
02-19-2008, 05:24 PM
You did awesome!! It's tough to trade roles with your parents, but it's something that just happens. You handled it like a pro. :Hug2:

I'm sending prayers for your family. I hope everything works out okay.

Broadswordbabe
Big hugs, Dama. Been there, with both my parents. I'm sure yours are very glad to have such a helpful and supportive daughter around.

All good wishes.

wyntermoon
Dama, you did a wonderful job and did not panic! You'll find the strength you need when you least expect it. Hug yourself and your mom for us!

quickWit
02-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Well done Dama! You should be proud of yourself for handling things as well as you did. I hope all is well with your mom & family. :)

Joycecwilliams
02-19-2008, 09:37 PM
I will pray for your mom and for you. I am sure it is frightening. It is a good thing you were home.

Hugs
joyce

IceCreamEmpress
02-19-2008, 09:48 PM
So glad that your mom is getting the medical care she needs. You did all the right things, and most importantly, you showed your love and support. That's what it's all about.

DamaNegra
02-19-2008, 10:14 PM
Thanks, all. You don't know how much your support means to me. You're all great :)

Mom's back at the hospital. This morning she started feeling bad again and dad took her. It's nothing life-threatening but she'll be there some time in observation or something. Right now I'll be heading to the hospital to spend some time with her. Luckily, my afternoon classes were canceled, so I'll be able to spend the whole afternoon there with her. Thanks, all.

ETA: I forgot. What she had was kidney stones that had gotten stuck there and had caused her an infection which was worsened by something else I can't recall right now, but she's fine. She'll just have to go under observation because apparently the stone is bigger than the doctors thought and it will need special treatment, but everything's fine now.

Stew21
02-19-2008, 10:20 PM
Thank you for coming back to update us. I hope your mom recovers quickly. Take care of yourself while you are busy trying to take care of everyone else, Dama. don't forget to take care of yourself too while you take care of your brother and your dad.

Hugs!

Kerr
02-19-2008, 11:19 PM
Dama, only eighteen? You are fantastic! I'll bet your Mom and Dad are both so glad to have you there helping them through this.

PS. I was just hearing they can zap stones these days with laser. You and your family are in my prayers.

Mela
02-19-2008, 11:55 PM
Whew! Those pesky kidney stones ... so happy she's doing better. What a frightening experience.
You're a great son.

IceCreamEmpress
02-20-2008, 12:02 AM
ETA: I forgot. What she had was kidney stones that had gotten stuck there and had caused her an infection which was worsened by something else I can't recall right now, but she's fine. She'll just have to go under observation because apparently the stone is bigger than the doctors thought and it will need special treatment, but everything's fine now.

I have been there! I had a kidney stone that blocked something important and I got an infection. I had some intravenous treatment with antibiotics, then ultrasound to break up the stone.

That was 24 years ago, and I haven't had a minute's kidney trouble since. I was in the hospital (well, my college infirmary) for a few days, then had to take it easy for a few days, then all was well.

I'm confident your mom will be fine very soon. You'll all be in my thoughts.

writerterri
02-20-2008, 12:26 AM
You did so good. I hope your heart settles soon and glad mom made it home from the emergency room.

Good work! :Hug2:

Anthony Matias
02-20-2008, 01:13 AM
Here is a picture of my twins I had nearly three years ago. They almost took two weeks to come out! Aren't they adorable?! :cry:

Needless to say I did a bunch of research on Kidney stones afterwards, mainly consisting of how NOT to get them again.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj17/shonymat/KidneyStone004.jpg

sassandgroove
02-20-2008, 01:15 AM
Dama, good for you for getting help for your mom so quickly. Hang in there and keep us updated. Don't feel bad that you were upset last night. You had your wits about you when you needed them. When I was 16 my mom and i were going to Raleigh, (2 hours from my house) to get my aunt at the airport. We went early to shop. As soon as we arrived in raleigh she fell at the gas station and broke her ankle. I took her to the hospital, got her attended too. She sent me to the airport by myself. She said, "You can do this, you've been there before." I got there just as my aunt arrived, grabbed her and said, "Mom's in the hospital, let's go." When we got there, they would only let one person back, so I sent my aunt. My mom told them to get real, that I was only 16 and I was alone out there, so they let us both back. Then my aunt drove us back to our house. When I got home and mom was settled, I cried.

DWSTXS
02-20-2008, 01:28 AM
you are a good and loving daughter. Hopefully your mom is home to stay, and will be better soon. You need to get some rest too. From what I read, you handled everything perfectly. Your parents should be proud of you.
You have friends here. My thoughts and prayers are going out to your Mom.

skelly
02-20-2008, 01:50 AM
Gosh, I'm so sorry that you and your family are having to deal with this. Hang in there! You are in our prayers.

ChaosTitan
02-20-2008, 01:55 AM
:Hug2: Good thoughts headed your way, Dama. :Hug2:

Susie
02-20-2008, 07:37 PM
Dama, I just read this and so glad your mom is home and things are looking up. You did do a great job and hope she has a full recovery and your dad is ok too. :Hug2:

joyce
02-20-2008, 07:45 PM
Dama, so glad to hear your mom is ok. You must really be one fantastic daughter and both your parents must be so proud to have you as theirs. Kidney stones are no fun at all.....been there and done it. I always said I'd rather have 10 kids in a row, without drinking even a beer to kill the pain, than go through a kidney stone again. Good luck and hugs to all of you. Yep, this is such a great place.:Hug2:

Daehota
02-21-2008, 04:10 AM
(((Dama))) (((Your whole family)))

I know what it's like, Dama. I take care of my mother; she's 89. I've had her in the hospital twice in the last month and a third scare.

I think you did wonderfully, and you did the right thing by reaching out. It's good to have support, even if it is miles away.

Sean D. Schaffer
02-21-2008, 09:31 AM
I'll be keeping you, your Mom, and your family, in my prayers, Dama. And I think from your first post, that you did an outstanding job helping your mother. Be well, and I'm praying that all goes well for your Mom.

--Sean