What to do with released sexual predators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scullars

Writer/Bibliophile
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
The tragic case in Florida just emphasizes how lax the monitoring is of released sexual offenders, especially of child predators. Someone mentioned on another board that these predators should receive life sentences and I am of the same mind. Psychologists say that these offenders seemingly cannot be cured, so until a cure is found, they should not be released back into society.

Imagine a child being snatched from her own bed...this is too much.

Fictionalizer

Registered
Reaction score
I read a book called The Batterer: A Psychological Profile. Dutton, the author, says all sociopaths/psychopaths/pedophiles should be marked permanently. I agree with him. It sounds terrible but his reasoning is they can't be and don't want to be "cured."

It is very sick what that man did to that little girl. The worst is that he stalked her, knew all about her schedule, and watched every detail of her life before he killed her. Sick!!! :mad:

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
A good friend of mine is a prosecutor for King County (Seattle) in Washington State. She dies a little inside each time a court refuses to label a criminal whom she believes should be labeled predator. She dies more when that person re-offends. And she has an 8 year old girl.

SRHowen

Erotica is not a four letter word!
Registered
Reaction score
The other day a guy came in to buy cigs--he looked under the age of 27 and we card anyone who looks under 27. He said I don't have a drivers license. I said, military ID, state ID?

He opened his wallet and handed me a card. I've seen the Texas offender cards--basicly a I'm out of jail and on probation card. This guys card said in big bold letters sex offender. He actually shurged and gave me smile. I wanted to drop the ID and then wash my hands in bleach.

Worse, it listed his address. Right around the corner from my home.

Needless to say I no longer let my daughter out the door to ride her bike even in front of the house.

Shawn

scullars

Writer/Bibliophile
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Sex Offender Site in Illinois

For anyone who lives in Illinois, the state has a site with the addresses of registered sex offenders. I sent this link to my friend who has a nine-year-old daughter (same age as the victim in Florida). I put in my current zip as well as the zips for former addresses and was amazed at how many registered offenders live or lived just blocks away from me.

I would suggest to those of you in other states to search out whether your state police offers a similar website. This is not being paranoid; it's being vigilant about your safety as well as your children's.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/sor/frames.htm

lucyishome

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What to do with them. Well I could list a number of things I would like to do to these bastards. Of course no matter how much I could do it would never be enough to make them suffer for all the devastation they have caused. It seems lately as I have questioned my own faith and whether there is a God aftr hearing more about this stuff happening. Not sure anymore if I even believe in God. I mean what kind of God would let a young child suffer at the hands of a monster like this. Yet I do believe in hell and know this man should rot in hell for what he has done.

Fictionalizer

Registered
Reaction score
lucyishome said:
It seems lately as I have questioned my own faith and whether there is a God aftr hearing more about this stuff happening. Not sure anymore if I even believe in God. I mean what kind of God would let a young child suffer at the hands of a monster like this. Yet I do believe in hell and know this man should rot in hell for what he has done.
Hello Lucyishome,
People do horrible things but that doesn't mean there isn't a God. God gave us all free will. Therefore God doesn't control anyone. Each person must make a decision to have self-control. Everyone knows right from wrong. Some choose to inflict an unthinkable evil act upon others even though they know it is wrong.

Some horrible things happened to me as a child. Evil people did evil things to me and God didn't stop them. He couldn't then and He wont now.

What kind of God would allow these things to go on? A loving God who keeps His promise to give everyone free will.

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
What to do with them?

Kill them. Don't release them. They can't be rehabilitated. Anyone who hurts a child deserves to die. That's that.

Melina

Spookster

Maiden of the Blade
Registered
Reaction score
Here is the Florida Sexual Offenders website. http://www3.fdle.state.fl.us/sexual_predators/

I actually cried when I pulled up my zip code. 53 offenders, 4 marked as preditors (multiple offenses) just in my area. Two of them live in the neighborhood across the street from me. The elementary and Middle schools in my entire county were on lockdown two days in a row. Two attempted abductions occurred by different men, both tried to steal children right off campus grounds. (This occurred just as Jessica's case was breaking.) Something has got to change for our children's sake.

My husband and I, along with any others we can get, are signing a petition. Anyone else compelled to change the laws of sexual offenders/preditors, go to http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2005/3/20/75176.html and click on Jessica's petition (you must have Adobe) for a printable form. **This particular petition is for FL. (You must be a FL registered voter.) For other states, please contact your local gov't branch to find out how to start a petition in your area.** Be offended, be scared, be down-right pissed off about the light sentancings. But, do something about it! It's time we fight back. Please join in the stand against sexual preditors and start a petition in your area today.

In loving memory of Carly and Jessica, cruely taken from this world before their time.

Last edited:

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
Thanks for that petition link, Spook!

This case really scared me. After I read about it, I hugged my daughter for the longest time. Something tells me I'll be doing that a lot now. It scared me as a mother but it also scared me as a civilian. It also made me angry. I will never again look upon sex offenders lightly. I agree that they should never be released.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
SRHowen said:
Worse, it listed his address. Right around the corner from my home.

Shawn

I thought by law they have to notify everyone in that neighborhood about the sex offender. I've gotten a few of these notices.

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
Ray,

The laws vary by state. In California, you used to have to go to your local law enforcement agency's main office to view the Megan's Law CD-Rom. Now, they've finally put it on the Internet. Here, if you send notices to every person in the neighborhood, it's regarded as a violation of the Sexual Offender's rights. Don't that just beat all?

Melina

scullars

Writer/Bibliophile
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Thanks

Spookster, thanks for the petition idea. I'm going to check on it here in Illinois. On another message board, we're lamenting how someone can get thirty years for having a certain weight of drugs in his or her possession, but a sexual predator many only get a third of that time. I don't negate what drugs do to society, but I put sexual crimes against children (hell, against anyone really) on a higher priority list. Fifty years mandatory jail time sounds good to me (if we can't get them a life sentence).

Spookster

Maiden of the Blade
Registered
Reaction score
I think the mandetory ankle bracelets is a good idea too. What I would really like to see is Federal sexual preditor listing requirement. Unfortunately, a sexual offender can move from state to state and not register him/herself. Uh, hello! If they did it in one state, they're likely to do it in another. If the offenders were red-flagged on a Federal list, the local authorities would more likely be aware of them moving.

scullars

Writer/Bibliophile
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Spookster said:
I think the mandetory ankle bracelets is a good idea too. What I would really like to see is Federal sexual preditor listing requirement. Unfortunately, a sexual offender can move from state to state and not register him/herself. Uh, hello! If they did it in one state, they're likely to do it in another. If the offenders were red-flagged on a Federal list, the local authorities would more likely be aware of them moving.

I think there is a national database already established here http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cid/cac/registry.htm. However, reading over the site, I feel it is a mistake that if a registered offender moves without notification, all he receives is a misdemeanor one year and 10 years for a subsequent offense. Let's just amend that and start with 20 years for the first offense period and harsher incarceration sentences if the mutha hasn't learned his lesson after 20 years. Until we make it worthwhile for offenders to rethink their options of moving incognito, they will do so without a blink of the eye.

Last edited:

Nivvie

Rejections, She Wrote.
Registered
Reaction score
It couldn't hurt to castrate them.

Well, it might hurt them, but who cares?
IMO Human rights can be lost, and upon commiting something truly terrible you forfeit the right to complain.

People with learning disabiliaties used to be castrated not only to stop them breeding but also as their sexual desires made them harder to control, and they hadn't even done anything wrong! Now in most countries this is outlawed and a good thing too if you ask me, but for those who are a danger I really don't see the harm. Plus, what if they move away, change their name, leave the country, hook up with some poor unsuspecting partner and bring a child into the world? That poor child would be doomed from day one.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Playing devil's advocate for a moment... (and with less scenery chewing than Pacino, too)

None of those who have posted seem to have allowed for the possibility that a convicted sexual predator may not do it again. How is it moral to lock someone away for life for what he might do?

I do not intend to diminish the gravity of their past acts, but justice systems do not and should not punish for acts not actually committed. If Floyd gets drunk every Saturday night and starts a bar fight, should we be locking him up Saturday afternoon when he's sober?

Prison life is hellish for these men (and who is more deserving? you're all thinking), and the likelihood of return must scare at least some predators into making a serious effort to reform. I agree that 'cure' is unlikely, perhaps impossible.

However, it is entirely possible to deny one's sexual desires (consider the thousands or millions who are celibate as part of a religious order, or remain faithful to marriage vows even when their partner is unable or unwilling to have sex) or to find socially and morally acceptable outlets for desires we recognize as harmful to ourselves or others.

I adore "Mr. Maryn" but I do on occasion find myself strongly attracted to other men. I don't act on it, although I may indulge in fantasy and... Might sexual predators not also channel their needs in ways which harm no one?

We cannot conclude with 100% certainty that every single sexual predator will offend again. Some do not. Even if 99 out of 100 do, it is not justice to lock away or castrate the 100.

Maryn, preparing to duck hurled stones

Nivvie

Rejections, She Wrote.
Registered
Reaction score
You'll be fine, I throw like a girl, but seeing as I am one, that's OK.

The problem is with these people it's like a sickness. If someone finds children attractive there's nothing that can be done. It's not like theft, something that has so many blurred lines and variations. (Is it OK to steal bread if starving? To rob rich to feed poor? Finders keepers?) It's just wrong though and through.

Some may well manage to control themselves afterwards, but then the risk is still there and still strong.
Maybe some (those that genuinely don't want to offend again) might be happier if castrated?

A woman recently won the right to castrate her disabled son as he couldn't mix with others due to his highly inappropriate behaviour, and now she says he much happier and she can take him places and he can do things that he was excluded from before.

SRHowen

Erotica is not a four letter word!
Registered
Reaction score
Here in our town a week ago a man walked into various elementary schools and signed in as a volunteer. He was wearing a Military Uniform. No one questioned him. He wandered the halls at various times being asked if he was lost--he said he was a volunteer and on he went.

He walked into the elementary school and assaulted a girl in the bathroom.

http://www.thecoveherald.com/html/page5.html

It has been said again and again that sexual predators will do it again. That there is now cure--as said above it's not like other crimes where the person makes a right or wrong choice.

What to do with people who are this way--I really don't know.

One thing--lock your doors. The girl in FL was taken from her home, the guy simply walked in through an unlocked door. Close and lock windows at night--or have burglar bars on the windows (we do) Yeah, it's a sad state of affairs when we must do things like this, but the result of not doing them is so horrific that adhering to no way I'm not doing that is unthinkable.

And children must be educated. Simply saying don't talk to strangers is not going to work. A person talks nice to a child and the person is then no longer a stranger. Kids, young kids, don't view friends as adults and teens do. Anyone who is nice becomes a friend.

What to do with them, I don't know.

Shawn

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One aspect we haven't yet mentioned is whether we as a society are prepared to bite the bullet, financially. Are we willing to vote for higher taxes to pay for parole officers and social workers who might better monitor such offenders for the rest of their lives? Okay, how about the big money, to identify and treat these people while they are children and it's not yet too late?

Considering that many communities can't even pass tax increases to improve their schools, perhaps not.

Maryn, wondering why fiction writers need to invent monsters at all, when they live among us

Last edited:

Spookster

Maiden of the Blade
Registered
Reaction score
None of those who have posted seem to have allowed for the possibility that a convicted sexual predator may not do it again. How is it moral to lock someone away for life for what he might do?

Maryn, if you read through the petition to change FL regulation laws on sexual preditors, what we are asking is for harsher punishment for "new" crimes. This doesn't mean hunt down every person that has ever been accused of sexual assault, lock them up and throw away the key. We simply want those that have committed assaults on innocent children to wear an ankle bracelet for monitoring. Now, you're gonna say "but that's immeding on civil rights." My response is, if you are willing to commit a violent crime against society, you give up your right to be treated as a civilian. The longer we allow for light sentancing of violent crimes, the more those acts will be committed. I'm sorry, but I disagree with the guy that had 2 ounces of pot in his car recieving a harsher sentance than the guy that molested a 9 year old. I just want my children to be safe, and if that means a man that brutally attacked a child stays locked up in prison for the rest of his life, so be it.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
SRHowen said:
One thing--lock your doors. The girl in FL was taken from her home, the guy simply walked in through an unlocked door.

That's what happened to me, too. I was 10.

Check. Double-check. The night it happened to me, my grandparents had been babysitting earlier, and they went around unlocking all the doors thinking they were locking them. When my parents came home, they didn't check because they had already locked the doors earlier.

This story is eerily similar to my own. Except that I'm still alive.

tfdswift

Hillbilly Queen
Registered
Reaction score
okay...

Without going into too much detail--

I was sexually abused as a child. It was a continuous and torturous thing for about 6 or 7 years of my life. The person who abused me did a very common thing and convinced me that it was all my fault (for those of you who are wondering why I never told).

This person walked away scott free. He had 4 daughters. I constantly worried for his children. But then he divorced his wives quite early in their childhood - as far as I know, he never did abuse another girl. Of course, I wonder if maybe he did and they, too, are keeping quiet.

The reason I am telling you all this is because I can honestly speak as a victim, that is lucky to have survived.

I do think that sexual offenders should get the highest punishment possible. So what if they don't do it again.... They did it once and once is enough. Just like a murderer takes their victim's life, a sex offender takes their victim's life, because no-matter-what, that person's life will never be the innocent life it was before the crime. Castrating?? I say ABSOLUTELY. Did they care about their victim's rights - NO! Once convicted as a sex offender - especially to a child- You have no rights left.

I am 36 years old and still have nightmares - is that fair?

I confronted my attacker as an adult and he said "Oh yeah, I'm sorry about that and all, I know I did something to you and it was wrong, but I really just don't recall what any of it was."

Now you know why I was such an overprotective Mom - not just of my kid- but of every kid I came into contact with.

I have no sympathy for a sex offender - NONE. I hope legislation changes so that instead of 3 strikes - your out , You get one chance, f*** up and you're gone. Prison for ever. I would like to pay my tax dollars to keep a prisoner in jail than pay for his welfare and disability benefits for them to walk the street, unable to work for whatever reason.;

okay I will shut up now, Maybe I am too close to this subject...

~~Tammy

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
:Hug2:, Tammy. With you all the way. I don't think we should ever give sex offenders the chance to show whether or not they'd do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.