Animal Wellness Magazine

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Has anyone worked with Animal Wellness (a Canadian magazine)? If so, I'm curious...how long did it take for the acceptance and then publication? They've been considering an article of mine for several months; the last progress report was that it might be used for a special issue. I;m not in a huge hurry to re-market this particular article if it has a good chance of being published there, but I'd love to know anyone else's experience. I'm patient, but I don't want to wait forever either!

moonslice

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chocmoon.wordpress.com
Sorry, I don't know anything about them, but I was just looking at an issue a few days ago. They are bi-monthly, right? They may just be getting their new ed calendar for 09. I know that is the case with one bi-monthly I've been talking with.

BTW -- Have you written for Animal Fair? I'm thinking of trying them next if Cat Fancy turns down my idea.

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Eek, looks like "Animal Fair" is a BAD idea!

I touched base with "Animal Wellness" and it turns out they are not using it in the issue they were considering but may fit it into their "Tail Ends" column. They gave me the option of withdrawing it, but I'm letting it sit right now because I already have a different query out to "Cat Fancy."

moonslice

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks Wombat!

I am now wondering if Mysti was talking about a different group. I somehow don't think this mag (AF) would screw someone over like that. It's all about animal rights, helping neglected animals, etc. It uses celebrity interviews as well.

Last edited:

wombat

wombats galore
Registered
Reaction score
Website
animalsbehavingbadly.blogspot.com
Well, having worked in animal care jobs, I have found that it is a big risk to assume that people who love animals are necessarily good to their fellow humans.

moonslice

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yip, Mysti confirmed it is the same mag I was thinking of. Too bad... Just have to bug Cat Fancy even more.

Ok, sorry, let's continue the Animal Wellness chat.

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Actually it will be in June, coming out in May (I was so excited when I read the email that my eyes zoomed in on the earliest date). Still, that's not too far away.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
I have been considering submitting to this mag

Does anyone know their pay rate?

Thanks!

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
:hooray: Good for you! That's a great mag. :)

Have you read it, Anne?

Just wondering, because they've posted this ad on their web site:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Join the Animal Wellness Team!

Currently we are looking for motivated individuals across North America to help promote Animal Wellness Magazine in a sales oriented capacity. Please email resume to:
jobemail.gif
[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Title:
Magazine Sales Representative

Date:
03/23/07

Locations:
L.A., San Francisco, New York, Atlanta, Toronto

Category:
Independent Sales Representative

Job Responsibilities:

Animal Wellness Magazine, a publication of Redstone Media Group Inc. has immediate openings in all parts of the country for Independent Representatives to promote magazines and CD sales through retail pet and health food stores. Depending upon the service territory this position could require 2-7 days per month. If you are looking for a great opportunity to supplement your income in an exciting career with substantial flexibility, this may be the job for you.

Job Requirements:

The individual must possess good customer service skills, own or have immediate access to a vehicle with a valid driver’s license and auto insurance. They must also be computer literate, with access to both email and the internet.

Um, yeah. I might be able to do something like that... If the product's good, and no investment required, I might give it a go.
[/FONT]

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Never mind. Just noticed the date on the ad is March of last year... :tongue

Reece10

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Ink!

Did Animal Wellness say if your piece will be accepted as an article or for the Tail Ends column?

What kind of writing suits the Tail Ends column?

Reece

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I'm pretty sure it's going to be a Tail End, as that it what they said they were holding it for. My article isn't directly health related; it's about dealing with cats with "class clown" personalities. I will post the definitive word about where it shows up and the check amount as soon as it hits my mailbox (June issue, so should be fairly soon).

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I just got a copy in the mail, and it's actually not a Tail End. No check yet, so hopefully that will be following soon. I like how they run a contributors' page with photos, but my boob looks a little misshapen in the pic. (my cat Farquaad looks just fine).