Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Yesterday the president of Channel M Comics out of Dallas contacted my daughter through her Deviant Art page. He said he liked her stuff and asked if she could provide eleven pages with 4-6 panels each, full colour by March 15th. He asked for her page rate.

She's never done this before and has no idea what she should charge.

Does anyone have a clue what she should tell him, and while we're at it, are they reputable and should she ask for a contract or any pay up front before she begins the project?

Thanks!

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
Pencils, inks AND colors?

If you want to go on the low-end, I would suggest between 75 and 100 dollars a page.

But unless you or your daughter knows the people involved, I strongly suggest a contract before anybody does anything.

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
He got back to her, and offered $600 for twelve pages, 300 up front and 300 after the project is finished.

The deadline is March 15, with pencil sketches sent for approval before the colouring is done. I don't know if there's enough time to deal with a contract. She's asking him anyway.

It's a low price but this is her first time and at least it's a credit. She's trying this venue to make money for college. Hey, better than schlepping to work in a store!

They look like they're just starting out but she knows one of the artists.

Thanks for your input, it's really helpful for further opportunities. I'm so proud of my little chumplet!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would not they are less than a year old with no product available that I can see. It is good that they offer 50% up front which is the professional approach albeit at a fairly low page rate. I would still suggest going onto an indy comic forum to check out who these people actually are and what history, good or bad, they have in the industry. As a new place they may promise to pay and not do so--don't start work until the money arrives and a contract is signed.

I haven't been active in this area in years but would suggest the rpg.net freelancing forum as a starting point. One reason I stopped doing rpg and indy comic illustration was that I got paid *at all* about half the time.

Last edited:

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
Well, I don't know anything about them...but if your daughter is okay with the money, I agree with Vein...make sure you get the contract first and that it spells out the payment terms.

Frankly, anybody who starts up a comic company in today's climate always makes me suspicious. Not so much that they're crooks but they don't know what the hell they're doing.

However, even though this a plug, it also contain information pertinent to the very same situation you've described.

http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Guide-Writing-Graphic-Novels/dp/1598694510/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203355544&sr=1-1

Gina_Marie

Registered
Reaction score
I asked my friend(yeah I know a friend of a friend) ok he's my ex really about this deal. I wanted his insight because he's published comics and had his own studio.

Pretty much what he said is they are an indy company(which we all knew) and that it is a wicked low rate(which others have said) the kicker is he said that she will get the up front payment but he wouldn't bank on getting the rest of the cash. She could, but eh who knows.

But if your daughter just wants to do it for the 300 then spiffy. Will she make a name for herself...hmm who knows. Does she just want the cash...well then thats a different story..and one I can understand :)

Writer???

Because EYE said so!
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Chumplet,
I think it's great, and I'm very happy for your daughter.

Personally for me, it's not about the money at first, and $300.00 up front is better than on spec or all the free drawing she, or anyone else, is doing all the time without anyone being interested. At best this leads to something great, at worst, she's getting paid to practice her art.

Congrats to her.

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
She got the $300 and a contract with a date that stipulates the other half. She signed it and sent it off.

Right in the middle of that, she got a call from the college she applied to and had to scramble to put her portfolio together for an evaluation. Sheridan College here in Ontario is the top college for animators. She managed to pull it together and went yesterday for the evaluation.

Comic guy emailed a couple of times for updates, and she told him something came up, but he was very understanding. Now she's working like a fiend to get him some preliminary drawings in spite of her emotional exhaustion over the college thing.

Thanks so much for your input, my friends!

johnzakour

Dangerous with a Keyboard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnzakour.com
$600 / 12 pages is on the low end especially for doing everything but hey if she's happy with it, then it's a nice start.

Plus it is something. Many new publishers expect people to work for free.

Last edited:

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, she finished, one day before deadline and he sent her the remaining payment. He asked if she can do more, and she probably will for the rate she agreed to. But if anyone else asks, now she knows the going rate and will ask for that.

On behalf of my little girl, I thank you all for your good wishes. Now we wait for her five free copies!

Status
Not open for further replies.