PDA

View Full Version : No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, or Juno?

WannabeWriter
02-18-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm going to see a movie later day, but I don't know which of the three in the thread title I should see. I hear they're all good. Have you seen any of the movies and can you make a recommendation? :)

Don Allen
02-18-2008, 07:57 PM
I haven't seen "Blood" but have seen the other 2. Juno is funny and witty and a feel good movie with a great performance by the lead, who's name escapes me. "No country" is totally different, not much to feel good about, but such a powerful movie that it stays with you long after you've seen it. It is pretty bloody and very intense. It wasn't ,,but could have been directed by Q.T as it has a definite pulp fiction, res. dogs feels to it. I like both movies but for very different reasons. My understading is that dan lewis gives the performance of his life in There will be blood. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them just depends on how intense you feel today..

maestrowork
02-18-2008, 09:24 PM
They are all good. Also, see Atonement and Michael Clayton (which has been re-released for the award season), too. They're all good movies. No Country is a thinking man's movie about violence. TWBB is a fascinating character study and Daniel Day-Lewis is amazing; Paul Dano was excellent, too, as his nemesis. Juno is a light, witty comedy with some kind of social commentary about love, parenthood, etc. Atonement is an intelligent, epic story about truth (don't let the "love story" part fool you -- it's really about a writer and her story). Michael Clayton is a very good legal thriller -- why it's on the Best Picture ballot, I'm not sure.

So it depends on your mood. No Country, TWBB and Atonement are all very heavy, and require a lot of thought. Juno is fun. Michael Clayton is more thrilling.

billythrilly7th
02-19-2008, 05:57 AM
Juno.

Loved it.

There will be blood.

great piece of work.

No country for old men.

great piece of work but not much more than an artsy Friday the 13th or halloween. With no ending.

Don Allen
02-19-2008, 06:15 AM
Juno.

Loved it.

There will be blood.

great piece of work.

No country for old men.

great piece of work but not much more than an artsy Friday the 13th or halloween. With no ending.

Hey Billy,
I can see your point on the Friday the 13th comparison with one huge
difference. The bad guy played the game, and Tommy lee Jone's character - at what point does any public service provider not do his job for fear of his own life.... I thought about that for weeks, you know....

WannabeWriter
02-19-2008, 06:55 AM
Ultimately, I decided to see There Will Be Blood. I liked it as an exploration of the conflict between capitalism, religion, and family and how one has to be sacrificed for the other. Daniel Day-Lewis gives a pretty good performance, too. :)

jodal
02-19-2008, 07:36 AM
Haven't seen Blood yet either but the other two are sterling choices so you pretty much can't go wrong with those two. In the end it all comes down to how you feel on the day. Funny and uplifting - Juno
Dark and gripping - No Country for Old Men

ChunkyC
02-20-2008, 09:59 PM
Juno is funny and witty and a feel good movie with a great performance by the lead, who's name escapes me.
Ellen Page, a fellow Canadian nominated for best actress for the role. Yes, we're awfully proud of her up here. :)

All three of those are great movies, and all three are nominated for best picture.