Spiderwick Chronicles

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Didn't see a thread for this yet, so here it is.

Anyone else see this? Mr. Nightshade and I saw it this afternoon. No, we do not have children, but we don't let that stop us from enjoying children's entertainment.

Actually, I thought it was an excellent family movie. I loved the magical creatures and I think Freddie Highmore is a great little actor. I've never read the books, so I can't really compare, but I can tell you I'll be looking for them in the bookstore next time I go.

I particularly liked how they handled the issue of divorce - showing how much it hurt the kids, and how the kids had to learn that there are some things they just can't do anything about.

It's interesting to note how traditionally, in fairy tales, one of the parents is usually dead (owing to the fact that most fairy tales originated in times when parents died off frequently). But in modern times, we deal not so much with parents dying as parents abandoning their families. I thought this movie did it in a subtle and appropriate way.

I also really liked the secondary plot with the great-uncle and aunt.

I did think, along with Roger Ebert, that this should really have PG-13 rating rather than PG. It would be scary for little kids, and there is one particular moment that would be very confusing and scary for younger children.

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Jo, we too saw it this weekend, and I'm just bummed. The movie was a great movie. Really enjoyed it. But it was just another movie based on a book series that's nothing like the books. It does not follow the series at all. The ending is completely different. And it made me sooooo sad. I was really looking forward to seeing Spiderwick-and it wasn't Spiderwick.

It definitely should have been PG-13. It scared the heck out of my hubby, never mind the 8 yr old. ;)

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Oh really? Interesting, now I will have to check out the books and see what the "Real" story is. We were wondering how much it had been "edited."

Leah J. Utas

Protecting Teddy with all my might.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Suirattigas and I really enjoyed the movie, but we're not familiar with the books.
Do you recommend the books, Twizzle?
How many books are there?

erikko

Registered
Reaction score
i believe that it can surpass Jumper in the top spot once it has been showed in theaters

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I saw a video of a drunk Nick Nolte giving an interview at one of those movie promo spots (where the celeb is in this room with the movie's name behind him and there's a line of movie reviewers all waiting for their 5 minutes). I forget the name of the website where I saw it. Its in my favorites at home. I wonder if you can find it on youtube?

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Suirattigas and I really enjoyed the movie, but we're not familiar with the books.
Do you recommend the books, Twizzle?
How many books are there?

I do. I think there're like 5, then they started a new series based in Florida. I think there's just one so far in that series. Then there're extras-the fieldbook, etc. My son got them for his birthday. We all read them, then he passed them on to his grandmother.

They're a FAST read. Very short, very quick. I think the reason they took off, truly, was they're a bit dark. Trust me, you don't want to be a cat in these books. :O They even remind me a bit of the Grimm's fairytales...and my boys absolutely love them. Which is why the movie bummed them out so.

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
I saw a video of a drunk Nick Nolte giving an interview at one of those movie promo spots (where the celeb is in this room with the movie's name behind him and there's a line of movie reviewers all waiting for their 5 minutes). I forget the name of the website where I saw it. Its in my favorites at home. I wonder if you can find it on youtube?

yeah. I saw it, too. brilliant, wasn't it? ;)