I'm not husband material.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I try to explain my faults to the infrequent woman who might show an interest, but they don't understand.

I'm a writer. I have faults.

Too many, too lucid, whilst thinking.

I like to drink booze and smoke cigarettes. I like to eat when I want and where I so desire. I like to travel and don't want to make plans. My life is a suitcase and a broken car, and these few luxuries help explain why I so chose the lifestyle I have.

My income is modest, by some standards, and yet enough to allow me a few pleasures.

But a companion?

I don't think this is possible. I'm not husband material.

I like to stroll about without the need to ask permission. My where abouts are my own device. Why should the importance of my walking or leisures be of concern to any one?

Like I said, I'm not husband material.

But I am, what writers do, and I do what writers can to make do.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
You had me at "My life is a suitcase." :)

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
If you don't fart in bed, I bet you could have your pick of already married women...

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been knokwn to take off for Louisiana (or wherever) at the drop of a hat. My curiosity needs satiated, so I go. People used to tell my wife that she made a mistake marrying me. But she knows me and understands my needs. It's hard to find a woman like that, but they're out there.

Heck, I once went to get some cigarettes and that old hobo in me decided to take a roadtrip. I called from Dayton, Ohio a few hours later. She thought it was funny.

ona

Registered
Reaction score
A husband should snore.

Someone once told me her mother could not sleep if dad was *not* snoring.

John Paton

carn the mighty hawks !!
Registered
Reaction score
the sporting capital of the world. Oh! That's Melb
So you are looking forward to dying alone - no-one at your bedside and no-one at your funeral?

No presents to give or receive at Christmas or birthdays?

No-one to bring you breakfast in bed on Father's Day and shouts of "Daddy! Come quick, look what I've made you" on a lazy sunny day in June.

Cruising the bars looking for a pick up for the night - not knowing what disease you may get from whomever you deem lucky enough to spend a few hours with.

And you with ice and bourbon dripping from your lips as you inhale another poisonous cloud of death with no-one to reason with you to stop cos they don't want to see you die early. And you - thinking back to the odd relationship where things did go well for quite while and still figuring out what went wrong.

No Spooky - don't give me your excuses and your paltry reasons that don't make sense to me or anyone else. Go out - Go out and seek the brave - seek the beautiful and seek that soul mate cos she is there and probably closer than you think!

Regards
John

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
So you are looking forward to dying alone - no-one at your bedside and no-one at your funeral?

Yep. I'll hire two people who will fake cry at my wake.

Well I never get them anyway, so no big loss.

No-one to bring you breakfast in bed on Father's Day and shouts of "Daddy! Come quick, look what I've made you" on a lazy sunny day in June.

I did the daddy thing thrice.

Cruising the bars looking for a pick up for the night - not knowing what disease you may get from whomever you deem lucky enough to spend a few hours with.

I don't cruise bars. I don't look to pick up women in bars, church, grocery, or other.

And you with ice and bourbon dripping from your lips as you inhale another poisonous cloud of death with no-one to reason with you to stop cos they don't want to see you die early. And you - thinking back to the odd relationship where things did go well for quite while and still figuring out what went wrong.

I'm not husband material doesn't mean I'm not people material.

No Spooky - don't give me your excuses and your paltry reasons that don't make sense to me or anyone else. Go out - Go out and seek the brave - seek the beautiful and seek that soul mate cos she is there and probably closer than you think!

I would rather finish another story. I don't think any woman would enjoy my lifestyle. I write when I want. I don't have a curfew. There is nobody waiting for me when I'm out late. I edited two stories today. I don't think a companion would appreciate my other mistress.

No, a companion is not what I need to make me happy. I will be content when my edit is done and I can put the story to bed.

Regards
John

Toodle,

Spooky

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com

Regards
John

All of these are meaningless unless you ACTUALLY find your soulmate. If you're only with someone so you won't die alone then you're in for the wrong reason, IMHO. But what do I know?

I've been around the block a few times (meaning long-term relationships) and I just don't think I could simply "settle" at this point. I don't know if I'm flawed but it takes a lot for me to "change" who I am just to be with another person -- like Jon, I'm very independent. I like to do what I want, when I want it -- I would just pick up and spend time traveling by myself -- no fuss, no answering to anyone. And I fall in love with people easily -- not a very good trait as a husband. If I'm married I know I will break the other person's heart because they may not hear from me. I'm entirely self-absorbed and self-centered a lot of times. So it'd only work if I truly devote myself to this "soulmate" of mine and give up myself, and I just don't think anyone will do. :) Unfortunately, I've met these "soulmates" a few times and they are all married to someone else. Not a very good place to be.

Last edited:

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
ok. Doesn't make you a bad person.

And, you're a thinking human, with a mind that might or might not change.

duchess, I've cruised some of the EHarmony questions, but not all. I have this dream of filling out their stuff in such away that it isn't legally actionable, but they can't keep from calling the cops with their concerns.

:)

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I tried to be wife material...doesn't really suit me and I don't plan on trying it again.

Unfortunately, everyone I'm friends with seems to think being alone is the most horrible thing on earth. Why is that? Why can't I possibly be happy by myself? I don't understand their thinking.

Admittedly, some sex would be nice but I'm sure as hell not getting married for that! :tongue:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Amen, Kristie. I don't get this "you've got to be married or be with someone to be happy" thing. Especially if you just "settle." I can see it working if the person and you are truly meant for each other. One of my exes is like that -- she's determined to get married no matter what because she believes that's the only way she can find happiness (I disagree). Well... she's still not married after a few serious relationships because she's found out just because she was with someone didn't mean she was happy at all. In fact, she ended up miserable all the time. We end up being more "compatible" with each other now just because we're not together anymore. We're in the same boat! It's that funny?

Last edited:

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I've always maintained that marriage is a young woman's sport, but I will guess I can amend that so as not to be sexist to young "person." I think that as you get older you reach a point in your life where you are content with who you are and the way your path is going. It would take finding a very extraordinary person to make you want to change. I say if you are happy with the way things are working for you, then don't change a thing.

PS Just out of curiosity, how much does fake crying at your wake pay?;)

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
single people die sooner.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I'll have plenty of people at my funeral.

And they'll all be standing around whispering to each other, "Thank God, the bitch finally died."

I don't give a shit if they cry.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I am not wife material but I got married anyway. I am as independent as Spooky and Ray, like to live out of a suitcase. I hate cooking and cleaning and anything domestic. I don't need sex. I love solitude, never get bored when I'm alone, can get absorbed with reading for hours on end, I don't like to talk. I'm surprised that anyone even wanted to marry me.

I really wanted children, and I think that was my main motivation.

Now I am pretty much tied down for most of the rest of my life.

But you know what? It's OK. I am forced to do things I don't like doing but that is actually good for me. It forces me away from my own self-absorption and complacency. It makes me grow. It makes me overcome myself and my innate laziness. If I could only do what i want to do all the time I would be a pretty despicable person, I think, and so spoilt. Not saying that Spooky and Ray are despicable or spoilt, but that is my tendency and if it were allowed to fester it would get worse.

I often long for the single life. But I know it;s better for me this way.