Books contracted in advance

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Has anyone here been contracted to deliver a book in advance. I am about to do this for a electronic book due in roughly three months. Any tips on how to get it in on time and on topic?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect it's going to be like any other contract writing--how you get it done on time, of adequate quality, depends on how you work best.

Speaking for myself, if I had a Big Picture idea in place or assigned, and I committed to two two-hour writing sessions a day with no distractions (none!), I'd finish a 65,000 word erotica novel in plenty of time.

Of course, you may not work best that way. Maybe you need to outline and do character sketches and setting research before you write. Or maybe you need to establish a number of words or pages you must write per day, or per week. Or maybe you're like one writer I know who does her very best work under pressure and starts quite late in the game, works like a madwoman for a short time (sacrificing friendship, family, normal food, hygiene, and most of her other responsibilities) and turns in something decent, on time.

Let us know if there's any way we can support you!

Maryn

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Thanks for the support! Actaully, lookign it the contract it is six months, which seems like ample time. I hope to get a big bite out of it over the easter break and then go for 1000 words a day.

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Work out how many words a day you want to write/know you're capable of doing without burning yourself out, and see how long it will take to complete the book on that basis. Then count in 'buffer days' for days off, social stuff, and life just generally getting in the way. Then start writing :)

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
Holly Lisle has a great calendar for scheduling out contracted books.

But again, each writer is different so if you can "write from your hip" you'll move a little faster than someone who works from a structured outline. But then again, maybe not if you require heavy rewriting.