PDA

View Full Version : Dear Mr. President, Uh, gee thanks, I guess.

Little Red Barn
02-18-2008, 04:13 AM
Dear Mr. President,

This morning took on new meaning as hubby and I both scrambled for the newspaper. Hubby grabbed his section first. Grinning ear to ear, he sat back, sipped his java and slowly burned off Sunday morning's slumber.

I rolled my eyes, he smirked, then snapped the slick ad pages of 'mans-best-friend', Home Depot. I raised a brow and whipped my Best Buy ad upright with the finesse of a mastered lion tamer's whip. 'Twenty percent to charity," I reminded hubby. He nodded.

Honestly, Mr. President, I really appreciate you thinking of my family, but did you really mean for us to spend our rebate money friviously? Not to pay bills??? My weekly gas bill is off the charts now, what with the teen driving. And speaking of fuel have you ever checked out what it costs to heat the White House? My little White House chugs it down faster than the frogs in the Bud Lite commercials.

I know you meant well, but as I study this ad for a new computer at Best Buy, guilt nags at the back of my mind. I really want this new computer, it's been almost 15 years since my last... Hubby really needs some new man tools, he's looking at the weedeater like he looked at me on our wedding night... But what with oil and gas prices, maybe I should sit on it.

Can't shake that old feeling, 'something for nothing is nothing'... And Grandma Kimmi always said, if something's too good to be true, it...

Hugs
Kimmi

..so whatcha guys going to do with your rebate checks?

SpookyWriter
02-18-2008, 04:15 AM
..so whatcha guys going to do with your rebate checks?Buy a ticket to Europe.

clockwork
02-18-2008, 04:31 AM
#If it makes you happy, it can't be that b-a-a-a-a-a-a-d.#

Bravo
02-18-2008, 04:35 AM
..so whatcha guys going to do with your rebate checks?

convert it to euros.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-18-2008, 04:52 AM
Gas stove.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-18-2008, 04:53 AM
Or pay an extra two payments on the mortgage... mmmm, yeah.

Silver King
02-18-2008, 05:02 AM
Any time someone hands me a wad of dough, I accept the cash graciously. I'm greedy that way.

Where it ends up is the same pipeline as all of the other money: a combination of needs and wants and debt reduction.

tiny
02-18-2008, 05:05 AM
It's going in the bank so that I can look at the balance and smile for a while. Then I'm buying new coils, brake lines, and a set of beautiful knobby tires. How I love new tires.

jst5150
02-18-2008, 05:08 AM
There's a great West Wing episode that deals with this when it happened last time. Charlie keeps telling the President "You gave me a loan." And then Marty Sheen buys Charlie a DVD player and a 007 movie at the end. It made me verklempt. :)

Little Red Barn
02-18-2008, 05:10 AM
There's a great West Wing episode that deals with this when it happened last time. Charlie keeps telling the President "You gave me a loan." And then Marty Sheen buys Charlie a DVD player and a 007 movie at the end. It made me verklempt. :)
What is verklempt? :D

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-18-2008, 05:13 AM
I suspect Google could be your friend...

jst5150
02-18-2008, 05:13 AM
"choked with emotion (German verklemmt = emotionally inhibited in a convulsive way)"

Little Red Barn
02-18-2008, 05:16 AM
"choked with emotion (German verklemmt = emotionally inhibited in a convulsive way)"
cool :D

clockwork
02-18-2008, 05:20 AM

Yeah, it's brilliant. He's expecting a rebate but ends up owing about $400 when he fills in his return on the internet.

LEO
Yeah, it sounds like you’re getting tripped up by 1783.

CHARLIE
Which is?

LEO
HR 1783; it’s a tax rebate from last year.

CHARLIE
Why would that affect my return for this year?

LEO
Did you get a tax rebate last year?

CHARLIE
Yeah.

LEO
There’s the answer.

CHARLIE
Where’s the answer?

LEO
Your rebate came off of this year’s taxes. That’s how we paid for it.

CHARLIE
Hang on. The money I got back last year has to be paid for?

LEO
Yeah.

CHARLIE
That’s not a rebate; that’s an advance.

LEO
Well, technically I guess…

CHARLIE
Not technically. This is like getting a Christmas bonus and having it deducted from your January paycheck.

LEO
This doesn’t sound like very patriotic talk to me, Charlie.

CHARLIE
It’s not. Why did you call it a rebate?

LEO
So people would spend it. If they thought it was an advance, they might save it.

CHARLIE
It was an advance.

LEO
Did you spend it?

CHARLIE
I paid my VISA bill.

LEO
We would have preferred it if you ate in a restaurant or traveled.

CHARLIE
Me too.

LEO
Well, in any event…

[Leo puts out his hand]

CHARLIE
What?

[Leo wiggles his fingers, wants the money]

CHARLIE
Oh, what are you, the collector?!

BARTLET
Leo.

LEO
He used the rebate to pay off his VISA bill.

CHARLIE
It wasn’t a rebate; it was an advance.

BARTLET
A trip to Banana Republic would have killed you?

jst5150
02-18-2008, 05:22 AM
I hereby anoint Chris as our AW pope. :) Fantastic catch, Chris.

Little Red Barn
02-18-2008, 05:25 AM
awesome Chris!

clockwork
02-18-2008, 05:26 AM
I hereby anoint Chris as our AW pope. Fantastic catch, Chris.

Ha! Well, thank you, sir. It was your pitch though - a scene that so perfectly sums up what we all know is going on behind the scenes of our respective government revenue services. :)

Plus, I'm a *cough* Wingnut *cough* and collect the *hack* scripts and transcripts *ahem*

SpookyWriter
02-18-2008, 05:48 AM
Ha! Well, thank you, sir. It was your pitch though - a scene that so perfectly sums up what we all know is going on behind the scenes of our respective government revenue services. :)

Plus, I'm a *cough* Wingnut *cough* and collect the *hack* scripts and transcripts *ahem*
That was fricken funny. Thanks! Reminds me of a skit from "Are you being served?"

Sheryl Nantus
02-18-2008, 05:51 AM
personally, I'm waiting for Big Block o'Cheese Day.

:D

rubarbb
02-18-2008, 06:00 AM
Saving it toward my down payment on a Bugatti Veyron (I wish)...

MattW
02-18-2008, 07:58 AM
Are we talking the new rebate or genuine overpayment of taxes?

Due to one, I no longer have student loans.

When the other comes in, it will be spent on debt reduction.

JoNightshade
02-18-2008, 08:08 AM
Savings! Yep. Sorry, Mr. President, but I'm not interested in fueling the economy right now.

maestrowork
02-18-2008, 09:00 AM
convert it to euros.

Yup, invest in Euros.

Williebee
02-18-2008, 09:10 AM
Same thing we do every night. Try to take over the world.

kristie911
02-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Why pay bills when you can use it to get a tattoo?

I just want to do my part to stimulate the economy. :tongue

Bartholomew
02-18-2008, 11:38 AM
Rebate cheque?

Me no get rebate cheque. :(

dpaterso
02-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Me neither. :(

-Derek

Jaycinth
02-18-2008, 06:25 PM
Today's award goes to Clockwork for post #14.

Ok, I haven't really read up on this yet as I've been occupied in a universe inhabited by patricides and brain eating aliens, but

The last time they did this, it was indeed an 'advance' on the estimated refund the average American would have received if the retroactive tax adjustment had been phased in during the prior tax period.

Uh:

They lowered Federal Taxes for the average person.
They made it effective for this year. (Last time they made it retroactive during the last tax year, so those 'Federal Refund' checks mostly became taxable income at a state level, causing people who did not adjust their withholdings to have to pay additional tax, and that stank)
But it is for (supposedly) this tax year.

What you are getting is part or all of the refund you would be getting when you file your 2008 tax return in early 2009.

If you do not do careful financial planning right now, you could very well wind up owing not only State, but minimal Federal taxes as well.

Now, let me step aside as our valued AW members who are not subject to U.S. taxes 'Roll On The Floor Laughing Their (Collective) A$$es OFF'

Jaycinth
02-18-2008, 06:26 PM

-Derek

You'd just spend it on obscure totem poles and over cooked cabbage.

robeiae
02-18-2008, 08:59 PM
Rebate cheque?

Me no get rebate cheque. :(Ditto.

-DerekYours is in the mail. It should get to you sometime in March...2010.

Jaycinth
02-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Ditto.

Yours is in the mail. It should get to you sometime in March...2010.

Rob's out of TP ...again.

robeiae
02-18-2008, 10:18 PM
Rob's out of TP ...again.
Yeah, but I'm not getting a rebate check. Oh, well. Back to ripping pages out of Dan Brown books...

tjwriter
02-18-2008, 10:25 PM
Today's award goes to Clockwork for post #14.

Ok, I haven't really read up on this yet as I've been occupied in a universe inhabited by patricides and brain eating aliens, but

The last time they did this, it was indeed an 'advance' on the estimated refund the average American would have received if the retroactive tax adjustment had been phased in during the prior tax period.

Uh:

They lowered Federal Taxes for the average person.
They made it effective for this year. (Last time they made it retroactive during the last tax year, so those 'Federal Refund' checks mostly became taxable income at a state level, causing people who did not adjust their withholdings to have to pay additional tax, and that stank)
But it is for (supposedly) this tax year.

What you are getting is part or all of the refund you would be getting when you file your 2008 tax return in early 2009.

If you do not do careful financial planning right now, you could very well wind up owing not only State, but minimal Federal taxes as well.

Now, let me step aside as our valued AW members who are not subject to U.S. taxes 'Roll On The Floor Laughing Their (Collective) A$$es OFF'

And they stand there and tell us that they aren't screwing us over this time. Man, I LOVE the federal government.

Buncha asshats.

TrainofThought
02-18-2008, 10:34 PM
I'm buying stocks. :D

benbradley
02-18-2008, 10:39 PM
convert it to euros.
Then you can brag "I have two Euros to rub together!"

Gas stove.
Since the economic downturn, they've started adding new warning labels to gas ovens: "Do not stick head in oven."

maestrowork
02-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Y'all can send yor'e cheques to me. I accept paypal.

melaniehoo
02-18-2008, 10:43 PM
Depends on where we're living. If we're still here it'll help stimulate the Mexican economy. Otherwise it'll go towards living expenses.

DeleyanLee
02-18-2008, 10:49 PM
I'll believe in a "rebate check" when and if I see one. I still remember the last time--I never saw a check. No one I knew and none of my neighbors did either.

And, yeah, this is an advance against what we should be getting back on NEXT year's refund, which I'm not that happy about.

Personally, I'm sticking it into some kind of investment fund for the year. At least I'll be guaranteed to get something more out of it when they FUBAR my refund next year.

If the fool thing ever shows up.

Shadow_Ferret
02-18-2008, 10:59 PM
Honestly, Mr. President, I really appreciate you thinking of my family, but did you really mean for us to spend our rebate money friviously? Not to pay bills???

Isn't paying bills still fueling the economy?

Did you get your check already? Or are you just thinking months in advance on what you're going to spend the money on?

I'm thinking of using the money on an HDTV since the government is forcing us to get one anyway.

Christine N.
02-19-2008, 12:52 AM
Why pay bills when you can use it to get a tattoo?

I just want to do my part to stimulate the economy. :tongue

See?? Isn't that a good idea???

Hubby's buying a Wii.

Me, I'm buying a Kindle. Though I might need tires on my car by the time I get it, so maybe tires.

If I buy the Kindle and then use it to read lots of books like the kind I write (market research), I can write it AND any books I buy for it OFF next year, thereby negating the whole 'declare it as income next year' scenerio. The same thing would apply if I spent it on conventions or a trip to research a book or something else fun that I can tie into my writing.

The rest of it will probably buy me some books for it and pay a bill.

Jaycinth
02-19-2008, 02:07 AM
And they stand there and tell us that they aren't screwing us over this time. Man, I LOVE the federal government.

Buncha asshats.

Technically, If they give me the $$$ in May, the way they say they will then I can put it in an account and earn 4% on it for the balance of the year ($1,000@4% 7/12 = $23.10), and then have that money to pay the state tax on it in January 2009.

But I'd rather them just lower my taxes by $19.00 per week and let me handle the particulars of compounded interest with no jolly surprises popping out with the New Year Bubbly.

$19.00 per week is gas money among other things.

Rob: Aren't the pages of that Dan Brown book itchy? If I were you, I'd prefer something that isn't quite soooooooo............

Jaycinth
02-19-2008, 02:09 AM
I'm buying stocks. :D

You'll put RT in them and let us toss things...right?

johnnysannie
02-19-2008, 02:19 AM
I'll believe in a "rebate check" when and if I see one. I still remember the last time--I never saw a check. No one I knew and none of my neighbors did either.

And, yeah, this is an advance against what we should be getting back on NEXT year's refund, which I'm not that happy about.

Personally, I'm sticking it into some kind of investment fund for the year. At least I'll be guaranteed to get something more out of it when they FUBAR my refund next year.

If the fool thing ever shows up.

The last time there were extra rebate checks sent out they were a "child tax credit", supposedly on a change made that gave parents more back per child.

A lot of people did not understand that at the time - and still don't - that you had to have kids (and kids as dependents on your taxes) to receive one.

Siddow
02-19-2008, 03:11 AM
This should go with the marriage material threads.

Me, single: $600

Me, married: $1200

Me, married with four kids: $2400

That's $1800 extra for me to spend on shoes!!!

TrainofThought
02-19-2008, 03:28 AM
I'm buying stocks. :D:Shrug: I'm not even sure I'll be getting one, and if I am, it's small change.

You'll put RT in them and let us toss things...right?I'll use the small change to buy the stocks to hold RT, but we'll spray him with water instead of tossing him. Much easier and funnier for us. :D

Serenity
02-19-2008, 03:53 AM

personally, I'm waiting for Big Block o'Cheese Day.

:D

Wingnuts unite!!! I cut my West Wing teeth on "In the Shadow of Two Gunmen". And there are a few scripts hanging about here as well. :D

The last time there were extra rebate checks sent out they were a "child tax credit", supposedly on a change made that gave parents more back per child.

A lot of people did not understand that at the time - and still don't - that you had to have kids (and kids as dependents on your taxes) to receive one.

I got one the last time, and the only children I had were from my job as a daycare worker-- none of whom were mine. I think I got $350.

stormie
02-19-2008, 04:05 AM
Why do I have this nagging feeling the federal gov't. will forget I exist? For years they claimed my husband and I didn't own a home. No matter how many times they saw the deed, saw we were tax payers on property, they just didn't get it?

I'll probably end up with a bill from them, instead of a rebate.