PDA

View Full Version : Feedback from the ACWC - American Christian Writer's Conference

Jonny Ryan Mac
02-18-2008, 02:42 AM
My back hurts. I drove a thousand miles in three days!

Well, I got back in from the ACWC at about 1430 today, (Sunday Feb 17). The Conference was great, the workshops were outstanding. I attended the Fiction Writers classes and had a blast trying to figure out why no one in Dallas can get Diet Coke correct.

I had consultations w/ Author and NY Best Seller Rene Gutteridge, and the Literary Agent Steve Laube and they went very, very well. I want to thank the AWWC members (especially those in “Share your Work” for helping me to hone my pitch, you guys are the reason for my small successes at the conference. Keep shredding, keep adjusting, and keep refining. You do it well.

For those of you that know about my Manuscript, the future looks bright. It’s not defined, or ready for publication, it’s just bright.

The greatest compliment I have ever received as a writer came when Agent Steve Laube, (I was told of this story, as I was not there. I hate spaghetti and went across the street for a bacon cheeseburger!) Was asked during lunch about book proposals he liked…he mentioned my pitch to the group. I wonder, what would I have paid to have been a fly on the wall in the ghetto sports and karaoke bar that day.

I wish I could somehow have stomached spaghetti….But those of you who know me, you know that eating pasta is not possible. I have a terrible fear of noodles. Ramenphobia, as I was once told.

If you have never been to a Writers Conference…..GO!

It changed my life!

I am still hopelessly connected to my keyboard, even f I can’t spell, fix run-ons, avoid purple prose, oxy-morons, and generally anything that degrades from ones overall writing abilities.

It’s back to the drawing board, and back to the grindstone. Is there enough coffee on this planet for a writer like me?

Special thanks to Jay, Bruce and Pat for making this weekend awesome!

Hey Bruce – I moved your book to the top of the pile! I’ll hit you up with comments soon!

I still love exclamation marks too much!

Silver King
02-18-2008, 03:15 AM
Sounds like you had a productive and encouraging time at the conference. That's great news. :)

Your fear of pasta worries me, though. I didn't realize such a thing existed. If you ever want to cure that phobia, come visit me for a spell. You'll either starve or learn to love pasta! ;)

Jonny Ryan Mac
02-18-2008, 03:25 AM
If you ever want to cure that phobia, come visit me for a spell. You'll either starve or learn to love pasta! ;)

I must not, shall not, can not, and will not! :)

Sorry, its hard to explain.

Pat~
02-18-2008, 07:34 AM
Mac, it was super meeting you--your enthusiasm is contagious. I'm thrilled for you that your meeting with Steve Laube went so well. I hope he asks to see more of your manuscript!

kellytijer
02-19-2008, 06:05 AM
Man, how did I not know about this? I'm in Houston, I coulda gone.....:Shrug: