Appalachian mtns?

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
I'm having a problem with geographic areas.

In middle Tennessee, I know there are divisions. Somewhere East of Nashville is he Cumberland Plateau, but I don't know how far East. Then, I'm trying to figure out what comes next. Are they the Smokey Mountains, or the Appalachians? What about the Blue Ridge? I don't know if these are different mountain chains, or if the name is dependent on where they fall.

I appreciate any informed help on this. I can't find much on line.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
I flew over the Black Hills in TN a long time ago and still remember the umber waves of hills below me. Just awesome.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Sissybaby - The Smokey Mountains and the Blue Ridge are both part of the Appalachian Mountains. The Appalachians go from Tennessee all the way up to Maine and have different regional names in different parts of the country. Puma

Last edited:

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi HeronW - Are you sure you don't mean the Black Hills of South Dakota? Puma

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your help. Heron, the Black Hills I visited were in North Dakota, but I'm not going to argue the point.

Thunder - thanks for the redirect. I was googling the wrong things, I guess,but still didn't get a good answer.

I wanted a more specific area than I'm finding. Guess I'm asking at about what point the Highland Rim stops and the Cumberland or Appalachian Plateau begins. This would be moving East through the middle section of the state. By middle, I'm talking more North, south middle than east, west.

Anyway, thanks. I know more than I did!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Sissybaby - The Smokey Mountains and the Blue Ridge are both part of the Appalachian Mountains. The Appalachians go from Tennessee all the way up to Maine and have different regional names in different parts of the country. Puma

Actually the Appalachian chain runs all the way to north Alabama, near Birmingham. It's a big geographic name, much like the Rocky Mountains, within which individual ridges or ranges are given local names, like the Blue Ridge. The obvious thing to do for more specific detail is to consult a good Atlas (and I'd suggest a real live physical book, rather than the Internet).

caw

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
The GREAT Smokey Mountains stretch through Tennesse, beginning just west of Bristol and Knoxville. The Blue Ridge range follows the Shenandoah Valley through Virginia. All of these regional names apply to different sections of the Appalachians, the oldest mountain range in America, stretching from Maine to Georgia. The Appalachian region known as Appalachia encompasses West Virginia, western Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee and western North Carolina. The Cumberland River, primarily in Kentucky, plateaus just east of Nashville, and by the time you reach Memphis and the Mississippi, the range is behind you. This much maligned area includes Franklin County, VA, the moonshine capital of the world, the coal rich areas of Virginia, West VA, and Kentucky, and much of the tobacco producing region of Tennessee and VA. Originally settled by Scots-Irish and German settlers who migrated from NY and PENN, the area's geography allowed the region's residents to develop a culture all their own as they were cut off from east coast settlements until the Civil War era and, in some cases, beyond. The Appalachian dialect more closely resembles old English than any other living method of communication, with many pronounciations holding true, albeit spellings have changed, and those residents descended from the Scots-Irish are among the last living descendants of the ancient Celtic empires. Being an educated people, the Scots-Irish settlers found names for their children in Greek Mythology (Homer, etc) and in their Bible. The severity of their faith spawned the growth of various legalistic sects which include the many forms of the Baptist Church, Pentecostals, and yes, even Snake Handlers who came from some levels of the Holiness Church, Church of God, and Church of Christ. In the early 1900's, coal became the energy that heated the world, especially fueling American industry. Mining companies developed and bought the mineral rights from many Appalachian farmers, most of whom did not realize that along with underground rights they were forfieting family farms. The coal companies enveloped the region, building private communities in which displaced farmers lived and rented homes directly from the companies. These miners paid for their own tools and their own explosives with monies deducted from their paychecks. Their rent was also deducted, as well as anything they owed to the company store. Their pay came in the form of "company script" but it could be exchanged for legal tender at the rate of 50 cents on the dollar. After deductions, it was not uncommon for a miner to owe the company money as opposed to receiving a salary. Unrest was rampant. The unrest was quelled by company police forces, primarily formed from local, private detective agencies, especially the Baldwin Felts Agency out of Bluefield, W. Va. These private police forces ruled with an iron thumb, causing deep resentments that finally boiled over in the town of Matewan, W. VA. (see the movie MATEWAN, staring James Earl Jones, also STORMING HEAVEN by Denise Giardino and the sequel THE UNQUIET EARTH). In the 1920's, a union demonstration led by Mother Jones was stopped on Blair Mountain when the US Government sent in 10,000 regular army soldiers to put down "the violent, ignorant red-necks that threatened to stop the flow of coal energy to the nation." The term red-neck referred to union organizers who risked their lives and who traveled the region covertly working, the only identifying mark--a red bandanna worn around their necks. Mining companies also removed iron ore, lead, and various other minerals from the region. Much of the timber was cut to produce housing, and the mining run-off coupled with refuse left mounds of "slag" which often held back huge reservoirs of water. These slag mounds often collapsed, sending tons of debris and gallons of water into communities that were devastated by these disasters. When mines closed, there were often problems with ground recession,; at least one in Ivanhoe, VA. took an entire home down to the second level of the mine.

Harriet Arnow has at least two books that chronicle the history of the Cumberland River Valley that would be most helpful in your research. If you need anything else, just ask.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
A big second to AppWriters' recommendation of the movie Matewan. In addition to James Earl Jones, the other featured star is Chris Cooper, in one of his first big roles, I think.

caw

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
And a third on Matewan. Amazing movie.

A while back I had the opportunity to drive across the Smokey's under a full moon, the day after a heavy snowfall.

I'm moving as soon as I can figure out the "how".

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I live in southern Kentucky in the foothills of the Ap-pa-lach'-as and have never heard of the term "Cumberland Plateau". Thar's them ridges and hollers what ain't as big as them mountains.

As Appalachian Writer mentions, the celtic heritage is strong, particularly audible in the fiddle music. If you have the time, listen to NPR's "Thistle and Shamrock" sometime. A few years ago they had hill people from Scotland playing alongside and alternating with hill people of Kentucky. It was eerie and good.

Last edited:

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
And for the more than you wanted to know - the Appalachians are actually a very ancient mountain range - the farthest north and east part of them are actually in Scotland which was joined to the portion in the US before the continents drifted apart. Puma

Appalachian Writer

Registered
Reaction score
*she gasps and hangs her head, asking, "Did I go too far?** :Shrug:OOps! Got a little carried away. I did a lot of work on the history of my region and grew extremely proud to be a part of "them thar hills." Seriously though, I can't imagine living anywhere else, and I've tried. I spent 15 years in the NY/NJ area, but my heart wasn't in it. Now, I live by a meandering creek that's been here, well...by the time a creek can meander, it's pretty darned old. There's problems here just like everywhere else, but the landscape shows them in a very dim light. And Williebee, when you move, I'll bring the pinto beans and corn bread! (I don't carry things, so don't ask about boxes!) LOL

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! I never posted on this forum before so I had no idea how helpful you all are. (see, I still use you all and get teased for it all the time).

I didn't need anywhere near all this information, but I enjoyed reading all of it, so thanks to every one of you.

George - I imagine you know the Cumberland Plateau as he Allegheny Plateau? I guess it depends on where you live. My mother always called the mountains where she grew up in middle Tennessee as the Cumberland mountains. It's all pretty confusing to me, but I am trying to learn about it.

I don't want anything horribly incorrect in my novel, even though it's a MG fiction. I understand there are, or were, lots of salamanders in the area I'm writing about. I studied what was available on internet, and hope I have that somewhat straight. Also was able to get in touch with a professor at Tennessee Tech that explained about a plant that I had seen there as a child, we called it "touch-me-not".

So again, thanks to all who contributed here. Where can I find this movie, Matewan?

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
So again, thanks to all who contributed here. Where can I find this movie, Matewan?

Netflix has it (of course), a brick-and-mortar rental store might have it, too. Or check your local library's AV section - they sometimes have some amazing things.

Oh, and as a West Virginian, I'm required by law to recommend Matewan, which I'd do anyway since I'm a big John Sayles fan.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Sissybaby - is your touch-me-not jewelweed?

HeronW - the official Black Hills, the ones that are capitalized, are in western South Dakota, between the Badlands and Wyoming. Generic, uncapitalized black hills could be anywhere. Your caps are what got you in trouble. Puma

Appalachian Writer

Registered
Reaction score
I don't want anything horribly incorrect in my novel, even though it's a MG fiction. I understand there are, or were, lots of salamanders in the area I'm writing about. I studied what was available on internet, and hope I have that somewhat straight. Also was able to get in touch with a professor at Tennessee Tech that explained about a plant that I had seen there as a child, we called it "touch-me-not".

I played with "Touch-Me-Nots" when I was a child, but they're hard to find now. Few and far between as they say here. And if you watch MATEWAN, take note of Syd Hatfield. He WAS a member of the famous Hatfield family as in the Hatfields and McCoys.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Puma - our touch-me-nots are called sensitive weed, as opposed to sensitive plant, but are actually a voluntary type of Mimosa (Mimosa pudica). When you run your finger down the long stem, the leaves close up behind you and the stem droops.

And HeronW, the Smokey Mtns and Blue Ridge Mtns are heavily forrested. The trees give off hydrocarbons that turn the air a bluish color. I'll agree, they appear very dark. Thanks again, all.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do know that the section of mountains in West Virginia are the Allegheny mountains; part of the Appalachian range. (Why can't I remember anything else from my WV History class?)

BTW--who says "Appa-latch-ah" and who says "Appa-lay-shah?" (Born and raised in the area, I prefer the first one. The other one sounds annoying to my hillbilly ears.)

Another great movie is "Rocket Boys." It was based on Homer Hickam's memoir about growing up in a coal town--I've read his other books about it, too. He treats the folks he grew up with with dignity; makes people see beyond the coal miner stereotype.

Izunya

Registered
Reaction score
Argghh . . . everyone forgets the Tennessee Valley!

Driving East from Nashville on I-40, you don't really notice being on the Plateau. What you do notice is coming off it. All the sudden, you have a whole bunch of switchbacks and some pretty incredible views, and sand ramps where the truckers can make an emergency stop if their brakes overheat. If you're looking at a state map, all this happens just a bit before you reach Kingston.

From there, you're in the Valley, which is, admittedly, extremely hilly and not entirely valley-like, but still lower than the surrounding mountain ranges. There are a bunch of lakes, most if not all created by the Tennessee Valley Authority, or TVA. If you're still driving on I-40, Knoxville is right along your route and feels pretty much in the middle of the valley.

The Tennessee Valley shares a lot of rural poverty problems with the Appalachian mountains, though I don't think there was ever much coal to mine down here. I seem to recall, though, that one of the reasons the government planted Oak Ridge in the Valley was because they could get the land dirt cheap. (Another major reason is that the landscape would make the town a bit tough to find, let alone bomb---at least, before satellite imaging and all that. Oak Ridge is one of the more wiggly, organically shaped towns I've ever been in; I can't imagine it's easy to spot from the air.) Landscape-wise, there are a lot of long ridges, and I once heard "ridge-runner" used as a synonym for hillbilly; I can't promise that it's standard usage, though.

East of Knoxville, you start climbing again, and then you get to the Appalachians proper. People have already told you plenty about those, so I'll just add a fragment of modern local color: the two main tourist traps, at least on the Tennessee side, are Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.

Izunya

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Izunya - we always drove from Nashville straight East before the interstate system. When we got into the "hills" we referred to the switchbacks as the "snakes" and my brother and I would stand up in the backseat and make a contest of who could stand the longest without holding on to anything. Danny would always wait for a good opportunity to make a very sharp turn in order to send us tumbling. It was a great game!