Querying several agents at one time

Michele

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum, but I've been following this thread for a while.

I'm about to start querying agents for my ya novel. I think I've done everything I should. I pulled together a list of agents who are interested in ya and checked that list against P&E and Writer Beware. I believe my ms is polished and ready to go. I was planning to start with my top ten choices. If I'm lucky enough to get positive responses from more than one agent, what do I do? I realize that many agents will ask to read the ms on an exclusive basis. What if I've agreed to that with one agent and another one asks to see it during that time? I understand this may never happen. I'm hoping for the best case scenario.

Thanks for your help.

Michele

Eussie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.unendinglove.com
Michele said:
I'm new to this forum, but I've been following this thread for a while.

I'm about to start querying agents for my ya novel. I think I've done everything I should. I pulled together a list of agents who are interested in ya and checked that list against P&E and Writer Beware. I believe my ms is polished and ready to go. I was planning to start with my top ten choices. If I'm lucky enough to get positive responses from more than one agent, what do I do? I realize that many agents will ask to read the ms on an exclusive basis. What if I've agreed to that with one agent and another one asks to see it during that time? I understand this may never happen. I'm hoping for the best case scenario.

Thanks for your help.

Michele

Your chances of getting a positive response from a query run at less than ten percent (judging by statistics on Andy Zack's site amongst others). Then most agents ask for sample chapters on a non-exclusive basis. Your chances of getting two agents to then ask for your manuscript at the same time means that you are extremely lucky...the odds are infinitesmal. But if it does happen...pick one and ask the other if they mind waiting. Good luck.

Daughter of Faulkner

Always a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mysite.verizon.net
Thirty+ asked for a sample my first try so go for it!

Michele,
Do your homework--make sure you only query agents who like your kind of work, have a one page synopsis, an outline, and table of contents, and of course, the ms ready to go.
Be perfect.

Include SASE and phone number for reply. Many called with my query in their hand. That I really admired.
Let your confidence shine through your pitch as well because a smart and interested agent will see it at once.

You can easily hit "pay dirt" first time around, but you will never know until you try!

I send you 1,000,0000 good wishes!
Let me know what happens.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
It can be done!

Hi Michele,
Let me add to what's been said below - I read the Nick Sparks article and recognized myself in the writing, rewriting, polishing, and repolishing of the query letter. I even posted mine for review and found the feedback very helpful.
The result for me was that two of the fifteen agents I queried responded wanting to see part of my manuscript. The first one liked it (I guess) and asked for the entire novel. I'm now waiting to hear back from her.
So, be sure to do your very best work on your query letter, don't get your hopes up for an immediate and positive response, but above all remember that it can happen and if you have done good work and get just a smidgen of luck, it can happen to you. :)

Michele

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all your responses. It's so helpful to get feedback from other writers.

I've been working with a freelance editor and she just sent comments on my revisions. The good news is I waited to hear from her before I sent out any queries. The bad news is I have more work to do on my ms. This is what she said: The story is very strong, and the characterizations are excellent. I guess it’s the setting and background that create problems. She pointed out specific areas where she had questions. If I had been looking at my work more objectively, I would have seen them too. I guess it's back to the drawing board.

Thanks again,

Michele

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
MarkEsq said:
Let me add to what's been said below - I read the Nick Sparks article and recognized myself in the writing, rewriting, polishing, and repolishing of the query letter.

I'm guessing you're talking/typing about Nicholas Sparks who wrote The Notebook but what article? Do you have the URL?