Marketing half a world away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I've had my historical fantesy book published in Australia and have sold hundreds of copies but only because I work at it continually. I give talks on local radio, get into the papers as often as possible, sign books at local bookshops (within a three hundred kilometre radius, that is) and give talks to groups like Probus and Rotary.

I'm now going to be published by Lachasis. I'm told most of their sales are in USA although some in Canada. I'm willing to travel in those two countries to help market the book but I foresee huge problems in setting things up in advance.

Anyone done this before? Any suggestions? I'd be very grateful for any assistance.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Mumut. First, I want to direct you (if you haven't seen it) to the AW thread on Lachesis Publishing. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1065340

I'm also going to port this thread to the Book Promotion, Ideas and Advice Forum. I think you'll find good help there. :)

Thanks for that and I did look through the four pages that deal with small publishers, especially Lachesis. But it is the promotion and marketing overseas that is of greatest interest to me.

Cheers and thanks again

Jackfishwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Wandering between Mexico and the Arctic Circle
Website
www.myspace.com
Mumut, I have the same problem... my books are published in Canada but i live in the southern US. becuase of my family situation (young child) I can't travel to promote my book. So far I have been doing everything over the internet in terms of promotion. I contact bloggers to do reviews and that really helps get the word out. There are so many book blogs out there and people who love books peruse them at length.

flashgordon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bauuinstitute.com
At a distance promotion is very difficult. The internet helps with this: contacting bloggers, building a website, networking through other writing forums and author social networks, and the like. Get lists of bookstores or others that might carry your book and then send them promo flyers. If you book ties into anything specific, contact the US organizations that deal with that topic and see if they will announce your book in their newsletter. Also, any societies that hold annual meetings might be an avenue.

If you can't promote at-a-distance using the internet, at least you can use it to research potential avenues.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.