PDA

View Full Version : Triple Play--I'm Out

Pisarz
02-16-2008, 07:03 AM
Three rejections on partials today: one form, one in response to a nudge (who applauded my effort but could envision a pitch), and one who appreciated the way I addressed themes x and y but wasn't taken by the premise. Rejection for varying reasons--no pattern--was the hallmark of this novel.

(Oh, and in addition to the triple play, I got turned down for a freelance gig that I thought was in the bag. Who knew the bag had holes in it?)

Back to the novel: What really hurts is that two of the three Rs reflect tweaks I made last month after not touching the novel since early fall. This novel's been on the ropes for over a year--rewrites, edits, overhaul, repair. Lots of requests, no home. I've finally reached the point of letting the remaining requests filter in so I can bury this mother once and for all.

I'll be sure to let you know when it's formally THE END and my final R collected. It sure hasn't been fun--or worth my emotional energy.

The only good thing was that it gave me the opportunity to practice my self-deprecating humor on R & D.

jst5150
02-16-2008, 07:06 AM
Keep charging. Don't let the bastards wear you down. :)

Red-Green
02-16-2008, 07:14 AM
[takes fork away from Pisarz] :D

Bastards. That is lousy news and so frustrating. Well, time to let it rest for a bit, maybe find some new betas, and move on to that next project for a while.

Soccer Mom
02-16-2008, 07:34 AM
Oh Pisarz! :( You've sure been kicked around a lot lately between the blog and the rejects. Don't let them crush your spirit. You're too talented of a writer.

IHeartWriting
02-16-2008, 08:12 AM
awww, what an awful day -- sorry to hear it

hang in there

MsJudy
02-16-2008, 08:47 AM
3 partials, so close, you're on the right track, which probably only makes the rejections all that much harder because you got your hopes up ever so slightly.

Sometimes life just sucks.

Better luck tomorrow!

Calla Lily
02-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Hugs and chocolate.

Are you sure you don't want another set of eyes on it? Mine are willing.

funidream
02-16-2008, 07:25 PM
Back to the novel: What really hurts is that two of the three Rs reflect tweaks I made last month after not touching the novel since early fall. This novel's been on the ropes for over a year--rewrites, edits, overhaul, repair. Lots of requests, no home. I've finally reached the point of letting the remaining requests filter in so I can bury this mother once and for all.

If you have truly lost faith in this project, then maybe it is time to put it away and begin work on something better and new.

I ended up losing faith in my first novel after numerous "almost but not quite" rejections, and shelved it to work intensely on a new WIP. As I progressed on the second story, it became clear to me where I had gone wrong with the first. My second effort is the one that sold, and garnering a 2-book deal.

Besides being a better written and better told story, a big difference with the second book was that I strongly felt there was an audience for it. And though my mettle was once again severely tested by grueling, multiple, multiple rejection query process, I never lost faith in it.

My shelved manuscript was not a waste of time. Writing it and dealing with all the rejections helped me to develop my storytelling ability and write a better book that did sell.

Maybe you've reached the point where you have to make a decision. Or maybe you've reached a point where you need to query more agents.

Perks
02-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Pisarz, I wish I didn't know how you feel. But I do. Have a wallow.

But keep the door open a crack, if you're good and it's what you love. All you need is an armor-plated soul.

Pike
02-16-2008, 07:53 PM
I love that you keep resorting to humor. It's such a great defense and outlet. it's worked for me.

Take what you've learned from the novel and tackle an other. Staying focused on the one book dereails you from limitless others. Give this one some breathing room then hit it again. Keep hammering away and keep smiling - it throws the enemy off guard!

Pike

Saundra Julian
02-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Hang in there, baby!

donut
02-16-2008, 09:28 PM
I'll third the advice to try something new... it's what I'm doing, anyway, god knows if it will work. But I have to believe that if we're getting all these "almost" rejections, maybe it means "right author, wrong project". I'm trying to make my WIP so high-concept and tightly plotted *and* gorgeously written that agents simply won't be able to reject it.

Thomma Lyn
02-16-2008, 11:09 PM
I'll third the advice to try something new... it's what I'm doing, anyway, god knows if it will work. But I have to believe that if we're getting all these "almost" rejections, maybe it means "right author, wrong project". I'm trying to make my WIP so high-concept and tightly plotted *and* gorgeously written that agents simply won't be able to reject it.

Hang in there, Pisarz. I understand where you're coming from. Last year was a rough year -- I'd gone through the rejection gauntlet with a novel of my heart and other things happened that made me lose faith not only in the novel but in myself as a writer.

But... :)

I picked myself up, rough-drafted two new novels, and this year, I'm working not only on revising those but I'll be starting a new-new novel in a couple of weeks about which I'm tremendously excited!

Sometimes it helps to put distance between yourself and a story -- let it percolate for a while, write something new and throw your passion into that. When a new project gives you back your passion, it rejuvenates you as a writer, and you can keep on keeping on. Even the query gauntlet starts to looks promising again.

You're a talented writer. Keep at it! If it isn't this novel, it will be another one. But you will get there!

popmuze
02-17-2008, 12:47 AM
Look at it this way, you've got a couple of dozen people (I mean agents) breathlessly awaiting your next book. Not too many published writers have that kind of an audience.

Toothpaste
02-17-2008, 01:09 AM
I don't gots much more to add than has already been said.

Keep the faith, you obviously have the talent or agents wouldn't be reading your partials and fulls. But like others said, maybe this just isn't the book you were meant to publish. It's really difficult to start again, okay, let's be honest, it's terrifying. But you have the ability and the passion and the drive. Now this doesn't mean you can't keep on submitting the current MS, but seriously, why not try another one?

donut
02-17-2008, 01:20 AM
By the way, I want to make clear that I'm not suggesting you trunk this novel -- not permanently, anyway. If you've gotten this much response to it, obviously something is there that is very, very good -- it's just that no agent has yet had the guts to take a risk and grab it. I'm just saying, maybe if you start them off with something else, eventually they'll take this one, too.

Once again, that's my own hope -- I'm hoping that once agents/editors/readers have gotten to know me through a "more accessible" novel, they'll be drooling for that first one they past up.

ishtar'sgate
02-17-2008, 02:41 AM
Your dejection will pass. Don't give up just yet. One year doesn't seem like much to me. It took me three years to sell my novel. My husband says I'm like a dog with a bone and it paid off.
Linnea

Kallex
02-19-2008, 04:35 AM
Hang in there. The bottom has been hit and the only way forward is up. Keep at it.

blacbird
02-19-2008, 05:25 AM
The bottom has been hit and the only way forward is up.

Well . . . you can dig.

caw

lostlore
02-19-2008, 08:46 PM
I can't say for sure since I haven't seen it but I have a gut feeling that you should keep trying. I'd be willing to look at your first pages and give an opinion.

CaroGirl
02-19-2008, 11:18 PM
That sucks Pisarz. Keep fighting the good fight, my friend. And keep writing the good write.

xiaotien
02-22-2008, 01:49 AM
argh! you are working on another story?
i need to do that after i settle down from
my querying hell.

Pisarz
02-23-2008, 06:12 AM
I'm always amazed at how many responses there are to comfort me when I start a "Pisarz sux" thread. You guys are the best!

I've started a new novel, but my use of "started" is looser than a sorority girl at her first frat party. It's hard to tell myself "keep going" when part of me thinks "Why do this to yourself again if it ends the same way?" But I'm trying.

I'm flattered that some of you have offered to take a look--wow, what a compliment! I've pretty much had it with this novel for now, though, so I'm not sure I even want to revise again (um, unless an agent wanted me too . . .). Does the offer hold for my next one??

And one final ironic update. One of the last queries I sent before my hiatus led to a request for a partial . . . and then a full. So I'm waiting with fingers crossed. Even if it doesn't work out, at least it gave me a spark, you know? ;)

Moon Wolf
02-23-2008, 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by Kallex http://absolutewrite.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2074508#post2074508)
The bottom has been hit and the only way forward is up.

Well . . . you can dig.

caw

Yeah... just dig your way through the center of the Earth and out the other side. I've heard the grass is greener over there. ^^

Never mind those stupid scientists who say you can't do that. What do they know anyway?