PDA

View Full Version : domain weirdness

Matera the Mad
02-16-2008, 06:34 AM
Less than two hours ago I was unable to reach the Watercooler. I kept getting 404 pages - no such place as "/forums" - and the site I could get was absolutemarket.com

Wondering wtf was happening, domain name servers having hiccups or something else?

mcnorth
02-16-2008, 06:59 AM
Yeah, I encountered the same thing. As have a few other members I've pm'ed.

edgyllama
02-16-2008, 07:19 AM
Ya, it became AbsoluteMarkets.com for a while.
I emailed Victoria when I noticed.

Medievalist
02-16-2008, 07:24 AM
Yes, it was indeed domain weirdness, but it's all better now; you might say thank you to Fahim.

Smiling Ted
02-16-2008, 07:33 AM
Thank you, Fahim!

CaoPaux
02-16-2008, 07:56 AM
Thank you, Fahim! :snoopy:

'Twas getting worried there.

Matera the Mad
02-16-2008, 08:45 AM
Thank you, Fahim :)

mcnorth
02-16-2008, 10:18 AM
Thanks, Fahim.

HeronW
02-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Bless you Fahim!

Appalachian Writer
02-16-2008, 03:27 PM
Bless you, Fahim! When I couldn't reach the boards, I sent out a couple of e-mails and got some disturbing news about ISP's and angry agents and frightened owners, etc. Thank God, all is well! *she breathes a sigh of relief, leans back in her chair, and drinks deep into her cup of coffee*

L M Ashton
02-17-2008, 03:33 PM
*whispers* It might be useful to let Fahim know that you're thanking him. As in, subtly point him to the thread in question. Otherwise, he might not know... :)

Medievalist
02-18-2008, 10:17 AM
There are three of 'em right now thanking him. I'll let him know.

jonpiper
02-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Thank you Fahim. BUT IN THE LAST FEW DAYS THIS SITE, and ONLY THIS SITE, runs very slow on my computer.

Pages appear quickly, however I cannot immediately scroll them.

And when I click SUBMIT to submit a post, there is a long delay before my submission is posted.

Matera the Mad
02-19-2008, 03:42 AM
That happens off and on for me too. It comes on suddenly and I think "Am I losing it?" -- meaning my tenuous Internet connection -- but then after a while it gets normal again.

Matera the Mad
02-19-2008, 03:57 AM
It just did it again, I tried to post in another area and it stalled. My hack is to copy my post (so I don't lose it), refresh the page, paste it back and try again. Usually works, X-fingers.

stormie
02-19-2008, 04:18 AM
I remember that day well. I sobbed and sobbed and went into AW withdrawal. Very sad. Thanks, Fahim, for fixing AW so I don't have to go to any more meetings about it. (For the record, AW works okay for me. Could it be a memory problem, like AW now needs more memory to run okay? Just a non-techie thought.)

Matera the Mad
02-19-2008, 08:46 AM
Nah, more like some caching problem specific to vBulletin and a touch of the grimflits.

Withdrawal? Full-blown panic attack! :eek:

benbradley
02-19-2008, 09:28 PM
I remember that day well. I sobbed and sobbed and went into AW withdrawal. Very sad. Thanks, Fahim, for fixing AW so I don't have to go to any more meetings about it.
Oh No! You Muist Keep Going To Meetings. AW Addiction is a Chronic, Progressive Disease. Just because you're able to feed your addiction now doesn't mean you should stop going to meetings (just don't carry your Blackberry to a meeting, even if you've posted at 85mph.). It's horrible, and if I didn't count my AW posts as writing, it would prevent me from getting ANY writing done.

It's so bad, not even Fahim can help with it...where is he, BTW? I was hoping he'd post in this thread so we could give him rep points.

I'm starting an online recovery site for AbsoluteWrite Addicts, look for it Real Soon Now at http://www.aw-addiction.org, or is that http://www.aw-recovery.org? Haven't decided yet...

(For the record, AW works okay for me. Could it be a memory problem, like AW now needs more memory to run okay? Just a non-techie thought.)
I read that as a techie thought from perhaps a non-techie person, but whatever... :)

stormie
02-19-2008, 10:14 PM
Yeah, Ben, you're right. I'm a member of AWA (Absolute Write Addicts) and I promise I'll keep attending the meetings, even if I am the only one there.

And you're also right: I was stating a techie-type thought as a non-techie person. Does that make any sense? No? Okay, back to the AWA meeting.

Fahim
02-20-2008, 06:10 AM
Sorry folks, I tend not to venture out too far from the confines of Tech Help these days - mostly due to a lack of time :) And you're all welcome :D

pdr
03-28-2008, 03:30 PM
This past week I've had a lot of trouble getting to AW. I've been using internet cafes and airport computers as well as my own. I get a 'Can't find' notice. It's taken two hours this evening, Japan time, to get here.

Does anyone have any suggestions why?

L M Ashton
03-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Yep. Because it was down. :)

pdr
03-29-2008, 05:20 AM
you meant down last night?

So why this morning can I get the opening 'page' but then I can't get into forums because there is database error? Two hours later it's fine.

And this was happening all last week too.

I know I am a techno-idiot but this happened on computers in Singapore and New Zealand too.

No, I am not nagging, I am just very nervous that we DONT have another collapse and loss of all the files. I don't trust computers.

AW does have several good back ups doesn't it?

Matera the Mad
03-29-2008, 05:21 AM
Database was out of it tday from around 4:55 my time (US, CDT), according to last post times I could read on the front index, until...whenever just before I last tried and got in here.

Medievalist
03-29-2008, 05:27 AM

So why this morning can I get the opening 'page' but then I can't get into forums because there is database error? Two hours later it's fine.

I know I am a techno-idiot but this happened on computers in Singapore and New Zealand too.

No, I am not nagging, I am just very nervous that we DONT have another collapse and loss of all the files. I don't trust computers.

AW does have several good back ups doesn't it?

Yes. AW has multiple redundant backups.

giusti
03-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Yeah, when it went down, I thought it was weird, and my first gut-instinct reaction was, "I should start a thread about this."

I looked around...

Stared at the screen...

My eye twitched...

And I screamed, "Nooooooooooo!"

-giusti

L M Ashton
03-29-2008, 03:50 PM

I'm not going to try to convert your time zone to my time zone cuz, frankly, I've already got a headache. :) But yes, AW has been down multiple times in the last week, and each time, it was down something like 4-8 hours-ish. So, probably not at all the computers you were using. :)

HeronW
03-29-2008, 04:23 PM
My elbows just healed from the nail-chewing fit due to AW withdrawal a couple a days ago! ACK! Thanking Fahim AGAIN!

Fresie
03-29-2008, 05:03 PM
My elbows just healed from the nail-chewing fit due to AW withdrawal a couple a days ago!

Well, helps you develop willpower, eh? ;) Every time AW was down I was forced to go back to work and write!:D Simply to keep my mind off it.

L M Ashton
03-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Yeah, it wasn't Fahim this time. I think it was Scott. :)

Matera the Mad
03-30-2008, 06:01 AM
So...thank you, Scott. :)

My gawd, what else would peeps do at this time of night :D

giusti
04-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Okay then, we've got Fahim here for the repping, but he's no longer responsible, and Scott is nowhere to be found. -__- who do I rep now?

-giusti

Medievalist
04-02-2008, 12:21 PM
This time it was Scott.

But both Scott and Fahim do an incredible job, without pay, and we very much appreciate it, every day.

L M Ashton
04-02-2008, 03:01 PM
And I keep Fahim fed, without pay, so, you know...

Le Mot Juste
04-02-2008, 09:39 PM
New kid on the block here.

Who is Fahim?

Becoming an AW addict myself though I'm mostly lurking in the shadows at this point. This is a very interesting and informative place. And people can actually spell and punctuate!

LMJ

L M Ashton
04-04-2008, 06:21 AM
Besides being my husband (hence the "I feed him" comment), he's also a fellow writer, fellow AW member, and admin on this forum who does techy/geeky stuff behind the scenes to keep things running, he's also the mod for tech help. :)

stormie
04-04-2008, 06:01 PM
And people can actually spell and punctuate!
R U Shore???????!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I agree. This is the best writer's board.

willywilly99
05-28-2008, 02:06 AM
I didn't get notified of a pm--which was a bummer. I've mailed photos out from one of the auctions and I'm waiting for responses regarding their arrivals.

Passing it along. Don't want to blame the post office,

SherryTex
06-27-2008, 10:30 PM
What happened, I can't find Office Party or TIO?

anomalies
07-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Sounds like the site became infested with a virus to me.

Matera the Mad
07-02-2008, 05:57 AM
Interesting sentence structure.