Important for writers...

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Mods, if there is another thread on this topic, please merge. And sticky it somewhere. It's important to all of us who call ourselves "writers," or "musicians" or "artists."

Read what Neil Gaiman says about wills here.

I shudder to think of what might have happened if JRRT hadn't had his son Christopher to sort out his literary estate.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
The importance of wills isn't restricted to people in the arts. Everyone should have their affairs in order before they die. That's not always possible, of course, when death appears suddenly to younger folks who hadn't yet realized they wouldn't live forever.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
The importance of wills isn't restricted to people in the arts. Everyone should have their affairs in order before they die. That's not always possible, of course, when death appears suddenly to younger folks who hadn't yet realized they wouldn't live forever.

It's not so much the need for a will he's getting at here, SK (which I definitely don't dispute) but the fact that if you produce creative stuff, you need to include its disposition in your will, just like you would do for a business. But all too often, I think we don't value our work as we should. A painting by Renoir, yes. A painting or manuscript by Ruth Who?

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
if you produce creative stuff,
Yeah, like a kid, say... The thought of him going to our next of kin is positively frightening.

But, yes. What Neil says is true. Look at Nabokov asking to have his notes destroyed when he died. There's a reason he asked. As writers we should have that choice.