PDA

View Full Version : What irritates you?

Anthony Matias
02-16-2008, 01:11 AM
I want to know what irritates you. From seeing people not washing their hands after going to the bathroom, or someone talking on a cell phone while driving. What is it that just pisses you off?

For me, itís being in traffic for an hour and wondering what the problem is ahead of me, only to find out it was some abandoned car that had been there for days and that drivers had just been gawking at it as they drove by.

melaniehoo
02-16-2008, 01:12 AM
Don't get me started... today it's our neighbors playing Barney-type CDs for hours, as loud as they can.

Maryn
02-16-2008, 01:13 AM
What doesn't irritate me will be a shorter list.

Although I don't consider it any of my business what somebody else's personal hygiene standards are. If they choose not to wash their hands, so be it. I have a functioning immune system.

Maryn, who won't ask you to shake her hand

melaniehoo
02-16-2008, 01:18 AM
Lately, people who purposely step into my path when I'm walking on the sidewalk.

Tiger
02-16-2008, 01:20 AM
I hate folks at the market, often with kids in tow, who cough into their hands then handle produce.

Anthony Matias
02-16-2008, 01:21 AM
I hate it when people talk with their mouth full of food.

Anthony Matias
02-16-2008, 01:22 AM
Good one Tiger!

Devil Ledbetter
02-16-2008, 01:30 AM
People who say "Smile!"

Product bubble packs that you need the Jaws of Life to open.

Bad grammar in thread titles.

underthecity
02-16-2008, 01:46 AM
Speaking of threads,

After someone writes a super long post inside a thread, then someone comes along and quotes the entire mile-long length of it, then says something useless like, "You're right."

That just irks the crap out of me.

Please, would you just quote the last line or something?

allen

Jaycinth
02-16-2008, 01:51 AM
Since the list of things that irritate me is so long as to prohibit posting:

Things that do not irritate me:

1)A properly cooked crabcake.
2)A nice glass of wine...not too chill and not too warm.
3)A stretch of beach with no bodies on it.
4)Ditto a similar stretch of ocean.
5)Coming home to a clean livingroom.
6)Automated responses that tell you an e-mail submission has been received.
7) Purple flowers.

Chumplet
02-16-2008, 01:56 AM
I hate people who swing into the lane in front of me, come to a dead stop, and THEN decide to turn on their signal.

underthecity
02-16-2008, 01:58 AM
Receiving a form rejection letter.

"Dear Contributor, We regret to inform you that your submission TITILE ALL IN CAPS does not meet our present needs . . . . ."

allen

Mel
02-16-2008, 03:38 AM
Answering the phone to hear a recording tell me that all the lines are busy and I'm put on hold.

Um, no. Click.

Devil Ledbetter
02-16-2008, 03:44 AM
Having to read a 75 word description of the "filigreed lacework" on a pan of roast potatoes when I want to find out what happens when Cecelia reads the letter!

A pox on Ian McEwan. This is torture! Pure torture! He's got this great plot and is holding me hostage and forcing me through endless, pointless description.

Gah!

The_Grand_Duchess
02-16-2008, 03:50 AM
Answering the phone to hear a recording tell me that all the lines are busy and I'm put on hold.

Um, no. Click.

I hate that too.

Brighid
02-16-2008, 03:52 AM
Many things can set me off, but the two that really put me over the edge:

1. People who tailgate, especially when there's a line of traffic in front of me. Riding my a$$ is not going to make everyone else drive faster.

2. Spelling/grammar mistakes on news websites and TV news channels.

JoeEkaitis
02-16-2008, 03:53 AM
Sanctimonious hypocrites. (www.ala.org)

Susie
02-16-2008, 03:54 AM
l. It really ticks me off when my underwear irritates me. :)

2. When clerks in stores are surly for no reason.

sunna
02-16-2008, 03:57 AM
In the interest of brevity, I'll just list what irritated me today. :)

People going 10 mph under the speed limit in front of me.

Coworkers who dismiss my dire predictions of doom on the latest system implementation, and then pretend they knew it all along when it turns out I was right.

People who cut in line.

People who whine when I don't let them cut in line.

People who say "Cheer up!" very loudly at 8:30 am.

aaaaannnnnddd........ Off-key whistling. Augh! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/angry021.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/)

*snargh*

SpookyWriter
02-16-2008, 04:00 AM
I hate people who swing into the lane in front of me, come to a dead stop, and THEN decide to turn on their signal.And that's how I got into my first fender-bender in over twenty years this Wednesday. :rant:

SpookyWriter
02-16-2008, 06:20 AM
Testing. Are we up again?

Devil Ledbetter
02-16-2008, 06:26 AM
Testing. Are we up again?Shall we add to the list, 404 Not Found errors to websites to which we're addicted?

Hillary
02-16-2008, 08:02 AM
I hate people who swing into the lane in front of me, come to a dead stop, and THEN decide to turn on their signal.

In Massachusetts, that's just proper driving. Turn signals are a blatant sign of weakness and give away your strategic plans to the enemy. Use them and you will be run over.

Speaking of driving, people who cannot use rotaries make me want to poke their eyes out with rusty forks.

Hillary
02-16-2008, 08:05 AM
Oh, just shoot me. Matt's trying to break my computer. THAT irritates me.

Bartholomew
02-16-2008, 04:04 PM
When everyone in the house piles all of the dirty clothing, garbage, unopened and unwanted mail, and general clutter in my room while I'm at work or school, because to them this means "tidying."

One day, when they're all asleep, I'm going to electrify a bunch of dead fish and then drop them behind their dressers.

GeorgieB
02-16-2008, 05:31 PM
What irritates me?

When one shopper with one shopping cart can block an eleven-foot wide grocery aisle.

But then, see my sig line;)

Maryn
02-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Drivers, usually elderly, who inch out into traffic from a parking lot or driveway, blocking first one lane, then two, in order to get into the farthest lane, who then merrily wave at those who stopped as if it were a voluntary kindness. If you're so close to death that you can no longer wait for a break in traffic, give up the keys.

Maryn, impatient

brokenfingers
02-16-2008, 06:17 PM
Not winning the lottery. Granted, I don't play, but that's besides the point.

Whenever I see someone winning a gazillion dollars from some lottery, I'm reminded that if I had only played, instead of spending my money on bills and other such foolishness, I could possibly have won that insane amount of money also.

And that irritates me.

Jersey Chick
02-16-2008, 06:43 PM
Things that irritate me:

1. Tailgaters - (especially when I'm already going 10 miles over the speed limit) - slow it down or prepare to meet my trunk. I could use the insurance money.

2. People who don't use their turn signals - I didn't know not having signals was an available feature on a car, but a lot of people seem to chose the model that doesn't come with them.

3. Drivers who are too busy yakking on their cell phones to actually drive. Bet they can't walk and chew gum at the same time either. Pull over if the call is that important.

4. Cashiers who are too busy talking to the other cashiers to actually do their job. Fascinating as their stories might be, I just want to go home. And when my son's in his stroller screaming, I'm pretty sure the other 50 people in line behind me want me to go home as well.

5. Articles in Cosmo that proclaim "Love your body no matter what your weight" and on the pages before and after said article, ads for miracle weight loss drugs or another article that tells you how to starve yourself to a size 0.

:rant:

Daehota
02-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Cell phones used in stores when the one-sided conversation is at top volume.
My son's dog when he doesn't listen to me, which is most of the time.
The current administration of the US. They don't just irritate me, they enrage me.

Cranky
02-16-2008, 09:57 PM
OK, as a sometime cashier myself, I have a couple of gripes. :)

Customers who practically growl at you when you greet them.

Customers who yak away on their cell phones, whip out a card, and get pissy when I have to interrupt the conversation to ask whether it's to be run as a debit or credit. Or worse, ignore the question to talk about their personal lives at full volume.

Customers who don't use dividers between their items and the next person's.

Customers who act like you are their personal punching bag for whatever went wrong with their day. Hey, man, I just work here, and I'm trying to help you get out of here as fast as I can. And yeah, I am gonna card you for alcohol, cigarettes, and when you write a check. Sorry if you don't like it.

Customers that allow their children to climb onto the conveyor belt. (Yes, that's really happened!)

Customers that put their money onto the conveyor belt.

Customers who refuse to take their items out of the carrying baskets. Help me out here, folks. I'm short, and it kills my back to lift things out of the basket, particularily heavy stuff. Especially on an eight hour shift when everyone else is doing the same damn thing. Ouch.

Thankfully, most customers are nice, polite people who appreciate fast, friendly service in return, and are patient when my stupid card machine wants to freak out. I really hate it when that happens.

William Haskins
02-16-2008, 10:31 PM
nothing irritates me. each and every action undertaken by a human being is but a beautiful phrase in the grand poem that is existence.

SpookyWriter
02-16-2008, 10:40 PM
nothing irritates me. each and every action undertaken by a human being is but a beautiful phrase in the grand poem that is existence.:welcome:

eldragon
02-16-2008, 10:42 PM
I'll just put the things that irritate me from the grocery store:

People that park their shopping carts in the center of the aisle I can't get past.
People that drop things on the floor and don't pick them up, leaving them there to be trampled on and rendered useless forever.
People that take everything out of their shopping cart and leave it sitting in the line - expecting the person behind them to put it away.
Road rage isn't part of me, I don't get upset when driving.

But here's some more things:

Showing up early or on time for a doctors appointment but having to wait behind other people who, although they may have had earlier appointments, were late coming in.
Going to a new restaurant and discovering that the menu sucks. Nothing new to eat, over-priced, and terrible staff. Why all the redecorating?

eldragon
02-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Number one, though, has to be calling Bellsouth/AT&T for anything.

"Please enter your telephone number, beginning with the area code, and then press star."

The_Grand_Duchess
02-16-2008, 10:48 PM
You know what irritates me? I brought my daughter a bed from walmart thinking that like IKEA it would be easy to put together.

Yeah only it's not and I can't get the damn thing together and it's sitting on the floor half done and it's making me very upset.

Cranky
02-16-2008, 10:50 PM
Why DO people do that thing with the cart, anyway?

Voice menu hell is a major gripe of mine, too.

threedogpeople
02-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Only a few things that bother me:

People taking cell phone calls in restaurants. I came to the restaurant to have a relaxing dinner not to hear you cuss at your boyfriends or complain for 20 minutes. It would be great if you would please excuse yourself and go to the lobby.

People that take or make phone calls while going to the bathroom (GROSS!!!)

People that scream and berate their children in public spaces, add to that grabbing the child by the arm and pushing them around. Hey, guess why kids grow up to be anti-social. If your child is misbehaving, please take them outside the store to deal with it OR speak to the child firmly and let it go. Please don't berate them for 10 minutes and call them "stupid", "worthless", etc.

I had someone yell at me in a store the other day, they left a full cart in the check-out line, then left. When the order before them was finished, I unloaded my cart (less than 20 items). The cashier was over half-way done before they came back but the guy still told me that I was inconsiderate - twice- because I "cut" in front of him. I didn't respond but come on......

Other than that, I'm pretty mellow. Life is too short to get upset about stuff like this.

Death Wizard
02-16-2008, 11:59 PM
People who throw cigarette butts out the windows of their cars.

Cassiopeia
02-17-2008, 12:40 AM
Loud people. I don't see why people have to be so loud when I am standing right next to them and they are practically shouting at me. Most of the time people don't realize how loud they are.

*shrug* maybe it's the blank stare on my face as I try to focus on the dribble coming from their run on mouths. Maybe they think I'm not listening.

*blank stare*

bluntforcetrauma
02-17-2008, 12:46 AM
Country music.

zahra
02-17-2008, 12:49 AM
nothing irritates me. each and every action undertaken by a human being is but a beautiful phrase in the grand poem that is existence.
I always wanted to slap Pollyanna :).

I'm irritated by people who stand on the 'walk' side of the escalator. (USfolks don't have it, but in the UK, you're supposed to leave one side of the stairs free for people who want to walk, not ride, down).

People writing 'alot', but don't get me started on spelling and grammatical errors.

People who tap or nudge you when they're talking to you. I KNOW YOU'RE THERE, DAMMIT!

At the end of my work night at the club, drunken women who want to talk nonsense in my ear when I'm at my most tired and least patient. And I have to smile and nod and pretend they're making wonderful lucid and intelligent conversation, when really they might as well be speaking in tongues. Backwards. And I really hate it when they hug me.

People at the club who say, 'I know this is against club rules, and I completely understand why it's necessary, and I really agree with it, but...' and then ask for something that's against club rules.

People who put on an afro wig for fancy dress parties and think it's the height of wit and sophistication.

David Spade. I don't know why. He just makes me cross.

SpookyWriter
02-17-2008, 01:23 AM
People who throw cigarette butts out the windows of their cars.That's me. :hooray:

underthecity
02-17-2008, 02:17 AM
Our local grocery store uses four self checkout lanes. They're awesome for small orders.

SMALL!

I hate it when I have my one item and have to wait behind someone with a full damn cart very slowly scanning all the stuff and putting it into bags.

Come on, people! Why do they do that?

allen

Chumplet
02-17-2008, 02:42 AM
When everyone in the house piles all of the dirty clothing, garbage, unopened and unwanted mail, and general clutter in my room while I'm at work or school, because to them this means "tidying."

I clean like that -- it's like a wave going from one end of the house to the other. Anything that isn't shoved into a drawer, box or in the oven ends up in the bedroom. I call it 'cleaning outside in.'

My husband, however, decides to empty every drawer and box in the house in order to 'sort' the contents, and then leaves everything spread all over the house. Same thing with yard work. It's called 'inside out.'

Never the twain shall meet.

Maryn
02-17-2008, 06:27 PM
Mr. Maryn is the love of my life, but every freakin' morning he deposits a small amount of coffee--liquid, not grounds--on the counter in front of the coffee maker. Every place we live for more than a year or two, that spot ends up stained, even though I wipe up the spill when I pour my first cup.

I mean, sheesh, how hard is it to pour accurately into your cup? I don't think he tries.

Maryn, who'll now return the thread to the ways the general population irritates us rather than those near and dear

nerds
02-17-2008, 06:40 PM
not much irritates me these days but I can still think of a few -

people spelling definitely as definately. This DEFINITELY irritates me.

"Me and . . . " instead of "so-and-so and I" or "me." This is everywhere now, drives me nuckin' futs. We had that figuratively beaten out of us by end of first grade.

Paris Hilton.

Litter.

Pretty much all cellphone behavior.

Teens crashing their cars because they're texting while driving.

zahra
02-17-2008, 08:00 PM
not much irritates me these days but I can still think of a few -

"Me and . . . " instead of "so-and-so and I" or "me." This is everywhere now, drives me nuckin' futs. We had that figuratively beaten out of us by end of first grade.

So, 'Me and Mrs Jones' not one of your fave songs, then...:)?

nerds
02-17-2008, 08:20 PM
So, 'Me and Mrs Jones' not one of your fave songs, then...:)?

LOL. This is true. That song may have been the beginning of it all. Me and Mrs. Jones. Me and my brother. Me and my friends, my mom, my buddy, my spouse. Excuse me while I go punch something.

Ziljon
02-17-2008, 08:40 PM
People who drive slowly in the fast lane.

Maryn
02-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Me and Mrs. Jones doesn't bother me nearly as much as this line from Live and Let Die: "...the world in which we live in..." I mean, geez--Louise, how hard would it have been to think a moment and change it to "...the world in which we're livin'..."?

Maryn, ready to spank lyricists

Death Wizard
02-17-2008, 09:37 PM
That's me. :hooray:

I'm talking real cigarettes, not the candy ones!

brokenfingers
02-17-2008, 10:00 PM
Sandpaper underwear.

Jersey Chick
02-17-2008, 10:04 PM
Me and Mrs. Jones doesn't bother me nearly as much as this line from Live and Let Die: "...the world in which we live in..." I mean, geez--Louise, how hard would it have been to think a moment and change it to "...the world in which we're livin'..."?

Maryn, ready to spank lyricists

That drives me batty as well! It's a relief to know I'm not thy only lyric-police person! :D

Anthony Matias
02-17-2008, 10:47 PM
What gets me is when the wife and I are trying to be "romantic" and the baby starts screaming! I hate that!:rant:

Danger Jane
02-17-2008, 10:55 PM
When someone's bugging you and you call them a dumbass but they just laugh cos they think you're joking,

it is SO ANNOYING. Also, however, pleasing. I mean you just got away with calling someone a dumbass and meaning it.

bluntforcetrauma
02-17-2008, 10:57 PM
What gets me is when the wife and I are trying to be "romantic" and the baby starts screaming! I hate that!:rant:

They have a radar, I swear! I got 7 at home. Sometimes it's 4 am before the game of sheet hockey commences. "He shoots! He scores!"

Tiger
02-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Do you ever answer your phone only to have the idjit who just called say, "hello--who's this?"

KikiteNeko
02-24-2008, 01:54 AM
Almost all of my annoyances can occur while I'm driving. I hate being cut off by someone who runs a red light or takes their turn when I had right-of-way, and THEN proceeds to drive 15 miles below the speed limit and somehow manages to be going through all the exact same turns as me, so I'm behind them until I get to my destination, at which point they SPEED away like a jetpack is welded to their tailpipe. That's definitely in my top five.

KikiteNeko
02-24-2008, 01:58 AM
Also, misuse of the word "seen." As in "I seen him yesterday" instead of "I SAW him yesterday." That and people who confuse Your and You're. You're = you are. How much easier can it be than that!? I feel that the public education system has failed these people and they should demand some type of refund.

zahra
02-24-2008, 02:08 AM
More work-related annoyances.

When people phone, and I answer, and they go, 'Ah...Hi...er....Ummm....Yeah, I was just....Sorry...Can weeee....Have you gooooot...eeeerrrr....neeeeext...er, when was it?.....Friday....' before they spit out what they've rung for. Why can't they form the damn words in their tiny minds BEFORE ringing?