Random act of Kindness!

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Last night it snowed. Again. A bunch of snow, almost 10 cm (what's that, 6 inches or so?).

The city snowplow went past this morning and anyone who's ever live somewhere snowy will know what that means. It leaves a large "plug" of hard-packed, heavy snow across the end of every driveway. A few people on my street hire companies with small snowplows to come and clear them out after a snowfall, like the single elderly lady several doors down.

So, there I was, slaving away trying to clear the plug at the end of the driveway, which was as high as my knee, when the guy driving the little snowplow that just cleared out my neighbour honked at me. I looked up and, lo and behold, he was offering to finish plowing my driveway!

I mean, what a NICE guy!! I would have kissed him if he'd stopped and if I wasn't so sweaty from shoveling.

Have you ever experienced a random act of kindness? Taken or given?

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The last time we had a heavy snowfall, I asked Mr. Maryn to help me clear the foot of the driveway, even though I do all the shoveling. I can't even lift a shovel-full of that heavy packed stuff, and I'm no frail weakling.

So I'm shoveling the rest of the driveway and Mr. Maryn's tackling the base when a guy who plows several of our neighbors' driveways plows the foot of the driveway, salutes Mr. Maryn, and drives on to the next house.

When I can no longer shovel, that's who I'm hiring. What goes around, comes around.

Maryn, who waves at him now

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
This is long and rambling, but I'm avoiding work.

For the first two years I lived in Seattle, I took the bus everywhere. One of my commutes was a 1 1/2 hour ride each way, which gave me considerable time to people watch.

And one of the interesting things I noticed was--when an elderly, injured, or very pregnant woman got on a crowded bus, the first person to offer a seat was, more often than not, a teenage girl.

I never would have guessed.

So here's to all those young ladies who defy the stereotype of the selfish and self-absorbed teenage girl. :)

Now I'm going to work. Seriously.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was hugely pregnant and taking the subway in Boston, the most likely person to give up a seat was a bum. Seriously. No achiever in a necktie ever did.

Then again, I often bought an extra apple or bagel and gave it to the first homeless guy who hit me up for money to eat.

Maryn, who knew her money wouldn't go toward food

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
As I was driving home to lunch one day back in November, I saw a guy laying himself down on the railroad tracks near my apt, so I turned and drove a block over to the police station and told two detectives I saw in the parking lot. They called a patrol car to come get him. This was about 10 minutes before the train came through.

I just can't figure out if I did the guy a favor, or made him more miserable. LOL

nancy sv

30 months on a bicycle...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
If you ever want to be on the receiving end of random acts of kindness, take a family bike trip. Each and every day of our trip people went out of their way to add magic to our journey. Maybe it was a woman who handed us the keys to her house and told us to go on home and make ourselves at home - she would be there in a couple hours. Or the man who drove up beside us and asked, "Want to stay at my house tonight?" Or the men who hid cashes of Gatorade on the side of the road for us, or the field hands who handed us a great big bag of tomatoes freshly picked from the fields, or the family who filled our panniers with oranges. The man who delivered us a plate of pork chops... the woman who brought us a pan of gingerbread... the gold miner who gave us a tour of his mine... the garlic rancher who drove us to the hospital when my son hurt his wrist... the couple who rescued us from pouring rain... the dairy farmer who offered her house when we discovered the only hotel in town was closed...

I could go on and on and on about the wonderful experiences we had on our journey. People really are wonderful - despite what we see on the evening news and in the morning newspaper.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nancy, it does us good to read about these people. It's easy to forget they're everywhere.

Maryn, hoping to be one, some day