Western Stories

The Scip

...walks this way.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thescip.blogspot.com
Hi to everyone in the western forum.

I'm usually a horror writer but recently got an idea for a horror/western story and I was looking for some western stories or novels to give me an idea for the feel of westerns. I love western movies but have never really read much. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
*waves madly to Scip*

Welcome!

I'd suggest a sample -- Zane Grey, Louis L'Amour, Larry McMurtry are the ones that leap to my mind, but I'm sure the other folks here will have suggestions as well.

There's a lot of markets for cross-horror, so go for it!

Tom Johnson

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
Hi Scip, there's a Bristish publisher printing westerns with a horror theme - the outlaws are vampires, that sort of thing. But I'm not into that, so don't remember what the name of the publisher is. There's a non -paying market, Wild Cat Books, that has started a series called Weird Western Tales, but you're not going to make any money there. I'm not sure if that British company pays much, either. Good luck with your western idea.

The Scip

...walks this way.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thescip.blogspot.com
Thanks for the help. I'll check all of those out. What about western short stories, any specific place to find those that I might not know about?

Jeanne, I didn't know you spent you time in here. How ya been?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
You can find a bunch of Zane Grey's writings on Project Gutenberg, check out this thread from last year: Zane Grey, 1872-1939 -- they may be old-ish but they sure do give you a "feel" for Westerns. :)

-Derek

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Thanks for the help. I'll check all of those out. What about western short stories, any specific place to find those that I might not know about?

Jeanne, I didn't know you spent you time in here. How ya been?
A woman spends time in may forums...;)

Been great! Busy as all get-out.

As for Western shorts, I *think* Duotrope has that as a selection, but am not sure. (Been having trouble with my internet connections all weekend, so can't confirm.)