Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I know we discussed US remakes of Japanese horror awhile ago, but I lost the thread.

Anyway, if anyone has digital cable and gets the Sundance Channel on-demand, they're showing the Japanese originals of both these movies this month.

I didn't mind the US Pulse. I watched the original last night. It's almost a completely different movie. Way cool. And it made me jump. It takes a lot to make me jump. Going to watch One Missed Call this weekend with the teenager.

I liked the original The Eye (sort of) and Ringu and Ju-On (The Grudge) (a lot). Woo-hoo for Sundance!

DaddyCat

Registered
Reaction score
I think I was the one who recommended Kurosawa's original Pulse to you in that previous thread. Glad you liked it. I had the misfortune of seeing the American version after seeing the original, and that made me swear to never again watch an American remake of J-Horror.

Regarding The Eye, the new American one is actually the second remake of the Pang brother's original. There was an Indian version called Naina. If anything, Naina was slower, so the original is still the best.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Ah! Thank you.

I saw another Japanese horror on Starz a few years ago. Alas; can't remember the name, but the plot revolved around a nurse in a hospital and whether or not there was a horrifying disease driving people mad and then killing them. Or whether or not it was all in her mond. OR whether a doctor was forcing her to cover up the evidence to prevent a citywide panic. As the credits rolled, I remember thinking that the director never made up his mind. I left dissatisfied with the movie.

DaddyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Could that have been Infection? Dilapidated hospital on the verge of closing down, they take in a patient they shouldn't have, cover up the death, then lots of green goop everywhere?

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Have you seen Shutter yet? Have it on my DVR but haven't had a chance to view it.

DaddyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Have you seen Shutter yet? Have it on my DVR but haven't had a chance to view it.

I haven't gotten around to that one yet. Looking forward to trying it though, the Amazon reviews are pretty favorable. If you do see it, let me know what you think.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
The one thing about 'One Missed Call' is that it's the only film I've seen on RottenTomatoes.com that didn't have a single positive review.

It's even got reasonably good actors, but it must be dreadful. I've got to see it just out of curiosity.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I have never seen the original One Missed Call, but seeing is it is by Takashi Miike, I'm sure it's quite good. I never liked The Eye all that much. The sequel was okay.

My favorite Asian horror films are Suicide Club, A Tale of Two Sisters, and Memento Mori, even though the horror is somewhat misplaced in that one. I loved all four of the original Juon films.

DaddyCat

Registered
Reaction score
I have never seen the original One Missed Call, but seeing is it is by Takashi Miike, I'm sure it's quite good. I never liked The Eye all that much. The sequel was okay.

My favorite Asian horror films are Suicide Club, A Tale of Two Sisters, and Memento Mori, even though the horror is somewhat misplaced in that one. I loved all four of the original Juon films.

Ah, Suicide Club is another one on my list.

I really have to trade up to a better video store. Mine used to be pretty good at keeping up with Asian films, but they've really slipped for the past year.

DaddyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and I meant to say that I haven't seen Pulse, but I did like Kairo. Didn't really get Cure, though.

Craven's Pulse is a waste.

Cure is pretty freaky, and not at all like a typical horror movie. I have to re-watch that one sometime, it's in my collection.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

A Tale of Two Sisters is amazing. I love that movie.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Shutter comes off as a Thai-horror version of I Know What You Did Last Summer, but it's pretty good for all that. Since it's been remade twice (inevitable lousy American version coming up later this year) in four years filmmakers must be finding something potent in it. I can't imagine the new remake will keep the original's plot twist.

I haven't gotten around to that one yet. Looking forward to trying it though, the Amazon reviews are pretty favorable. If you do see it, let me know what you think.