Hudson Hawk

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Hudson Hawk: A Cappuccino Review

You haven’t seen Hudson Hawk? Nominated for several awards, none of them prestigious, Bruce Willis’ Hudson Hawk was considered one of the worst films of the 90’s. Critics called it annoying, excessive, silly, and frenzied. Are you rushing out to the rental store yet? But wait! It’s violent, it’s vulgar, it’s debase. It has hefty doses of murder and thievery, nuns on dates, Rat Pack tunes, a Pope in sunglasses, and it’s all topped off with the perfect cappuccino.

Bruce Willis stars in the film as Eddie “Hudson Hawk” Hawkins. He and his partner, the none-too-svelte Tommy Five Tone played by Danny Aiello, are blackmailed into taking on “one more” cat burglary assignment, in an effort to shake the CIA. The story takes you from Hoboken, New Jersey to Vatican City all on a quest to heist some of Leonardo Da Vinci’s most priceless pieces of art. The chemistry between the two reaches its full potential during one of the burglary scenes. Timed with precision, they sing a tune that corresponds with the length of the theft, which on this occasion is “Swinging on a Star” by Bing Crosby. Priceless. Through out the quest, Eddie is also in search of the perfect cappuccino. During his search, he runs into a beautiful, but “married” Andie MacDowell. MacDowell is Anna Baragli, an art expert with a secret. While the on screen chemistry of Willis and Aiello lights up the stage, MacDowell and Willis seem a bit stilted. Still, things get steamy when she takes him back to her place, the Vatican, and chloroforms him.

The entire adventure is masterminded by the CIA and the Mayflowers. Minerva Mayflower, played by Sandra Bernhard, is riotous. Don’t miss a single line of hers, as she mistakenly displays her dominatrix pictures for heads of state, out bids her husband at an art auction, and sics her dog onto Bruce Willis’ puppies. If you like action, adventure, art, happy endings, or Bruce Willis, check out this flick. He finds his perfect cappuccino and you will too if you watch this movie.

You haven’t seen Hudson Hawk? You will.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Saritams,

What prompted this question? Movie has got to be over 15 years old. As luck would have it, I just saw it again the other day.

The movie as a whole is a "B+" not bad. But there are moments in the movie that are A+ quality hilarity. There is a line in the movie where one of the killers is talking about Paris.

His voice gets all somber and reminiscient and he says, "I will never forget Paris, it was the city of my first bare-handed strangulation." He almost had a tear in his eye while smiling and being all cheerful.

God, I almost died laughing. There are a lot of great gems in this movie. The movie also has a unique Charm. I love movies that are unique and well done and Hudson Hawk is definintely that.

by the way, Happy Valentine's day you hottie ;)

Mel...

Last edited:

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
I hope you had a nice Valentine's day.

This was the prompt: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2062098&postcount=2783

I'm not sure what made me pick this film. It's probably because when I think of the movie that made me laugh the hardest, this is it. The strangulation line is a classic. I also love when the Cardinal says something like "The Vatican will not lie down for some schmuck from New Jersey."

And the Candy Bars? Don't get me started. If this review even touched on them it would have been 2000 words long...

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I liked Hudson Hawk lots, just like I liked Ishtar and Gigli and a whole lot of other laugh-out-loud movies the critics didn't like. Screw 'em all, what do they know?

-Derek

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
I still list "Sneakers" and "Flash Gordon (1980)" as two of my favorites of all time. Now I have to find a copy of Hudson Hawk and watch (or just wait for it to pop up on TNT. Isn't Andie McDowell in that?). As to Ishtar and Gigli, well, umm, yee-ah. :)

DaddyCat

Registered
Reaction score
I still list "Sneakers" and "Flash Gordon (1980)" as two of my favorites of all time. Now I have to find a copy of Hudson Hawk and watch (or just wait for it to pop up on TNT. Isn't Andie McDowell in that?). As to Ishtar and Gigli, well, umm, yee-ah. :)

Hey, I love "Sneakers"! Is there some reason why I shouldn't? Well, other than it being utter nonsense that could never happen? ;)

I just saw the "Flash Gordon" movie for the first time about a month ago. Man, that movie is nuts...

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Sneakers was great. Why does a movie have to be based in reality, I mean come on!

I didn't see Gigli, but I can't stand Ben Affleck. It must be the Boston thing (although I like Matt Damon a little.) Ishtar was hilarious. I haven't seen Flash Gordon...

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
FLASH GORDON!!!!

I saw that movie again a few weeks ago. That movie is the perfect balance of the 80s and sci-fi cheesy-ness. I LOVE that movie. In fact, the old one is so much better than the new one.

It still had its charm. It is one of those movies that I think cannot be improved upon because the special effects actually add to the charm. So I wouldn't even upgrade that. The acting was perfect, love the meglomaniacs. Great movie.

Mel...

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
Oh God I haven't seen Flash Gordon for must be nearly 20 years! I still remember that movie. Ultimate cheese but fun!
Got to admit I haven't seen Hudson Hawk but I'll have to look out for it. I'm curious to see it after reading this lol

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
The cheesy movies stand the test of time as well as the classics. I loved Hudson Hawk, Ishtar, all the Mel Brooks movies, Bob Hope road movies, and even Spies Like Us. Bring 'em on!

DaddyCat

Registered
Reaction score
FLASH GORDON!!!!

I saw that movie again a few weeks ago. That movie is the perfect balance of the 80s and sci-fi cheesy-ness. I LOVE that movie. In fact, the old one is so much better than the new one.

It still had its charm. It is one of those movies that I think cannot be improved upon because the special effects actually add to the charm. So I wouldn't even upgrade that. The acting was perfect, love the meglomaniacs. Great movie.

Mel...

"Prepare her for my PLEASURE!!!" - Ming the Merciless

Ah, Max von Sydow. You've worked with Ingmar Bergman. You've played Jesus. Where does one go from there? Well, I guess now we know. :)

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
O.k. I was thinking about the greatest most cheesiest movie.

Little Shop of Horrors (1980s version).

I hate musicals yet LOVE that one. The songs were probably the best songs to fit a movie that i've ever heard. In fact, I listen to "Skid Row" on youtube all the time at work. Great song and scene.

But overall, that movie just hits me. I loved it. Incredible characters: The dentist scene with Steve Martin and Bill Murray, Steve Martin's song, Loveable blonde bimbo with a heart of gold Audrey, Rick Moranis the down on his luck dweeb.

The casting couldn't of been more perfect. And one of the few films where the happy ending really made the film (as opposed to the original sad ending).

O.K. So my vote for best-est, most cheesiest film of all time. Little Shop of Horrors.

Mel...

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
"Prepare her for my PLEASURE!!!" - Ming the Merciless

Ah, Max von Sydow. You've worked with Ingmar Bergman. You've played Jesus. Where does one go from there? Well, I guess now we know. :)

And don't forget when Ming is walking down the hall. The general gets on the intercom to announce that the lightning fields are being fired in honor of Ming's wedding. And Ming stops just for a moment and wiggles his fingers ...

That, my friends, is movie magic.

Dibley

Registered
Reaction score
I'll admit it- I liked Hudson Hawk. Sure- it is awfully cheesy, but I hadn't had so much fun watching a movie in a long time and it was a lot better than some of the nonsense that passes for quality today.
Andie McDowell doing dolphin sounds, and Bruce Willis singing 'Side by Side' just made it a light hearted film poking fun at itself and the actors seemed to be having fun too. I watched it on television and then- surprising myself- I bought it. I can't explain it.
I know it's awful in its own way but still original enough for me to enjoy the couple of hours I spent on it. And it's vastly different from anything else I own. I like older films (for example Brief Encounter) as well as serious non-English language films (for example The Three Colours Trilogy) and so obviously there was a need for some silly stuff :)
I'm glad to see this film being dug up again on a thread.

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
Sneakers...one of the few movies I actually watched in the theater. Great flick, great cast, lotta fun. For an evening of geeky fun, I'll pair it with the completely silly Hackers, which I also loved, especially the 'dramatic' special effects of watching software run.

Craig Gosse

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Hudson Hawk? - Sister Spherea Says....

nunno.gif

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
:) Another Hudson Hawk lover! Welcome to the nut house... er- cinema!

Any other quirky movies that you'd recommend to the rest of us crazies?

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
*saunters through singing*

Would you like to swing on a star
Carry moonbeams home in a jar
And be better off than you are
Or would you rather be a mule

A mule is an animal with long funny ears
He kicks up at anything he hears
His back is brawny - and his brain is weak
Hes just plain stupid with a - stubborn streak

And by the way, if you hate to go to school
You may grow up to be a mule

Would you like to swing on a star