UPS: Go figure

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
I order a portable induction cooktop from Target.com for a couple C-notes and UPS leaves it on the porch under the doormat. Fine by me. No need to sign and I never lost a package delivered that way.

The maker of the induction cooktop sends me a free skillet to go with it. UPS demands that someone sign for it and WON'T leave it on the porch under the doormat.

Let's review:

$200 induction cooktop: They leave it on the porch.

$20 skillet: They demand that someone sign for it.

Don't try to make sense out of it because your head will explode.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
what's an induction cooktop?

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
I could pretend to be shocked, but I don't think it'd be believable. I have exchanges with Dell all the time, and the crap I have to sign for is always random. They've left entire $1,800 computers for no one, yet made me sign for $20 power cords.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...UPS demands that someone sign for it and WON'T leave it on the porch under the doormat...
That's the shipper's demands, Joe, not UPS's. They required a signature before the parcel can be delivered.

UPS, and any other carrier, will leave your stuff on the front steps (in a residential area) unless you ask (and pay) for proof of delivery. When it comes to business deliveries, there's no way in hell the carrier leaves your stuff outdoors without proper documentation (someone to sign for the package).

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
It's par for the course. My next door neighbor ordered some very expensive lighting fixture. UPS delivered...to me. Apparently reading the house numbers was just too much trouble, so UPS guy just left the box on the front porch of the wrong house. Neighbor and I played a cruel game in which she pretended she'd never received the package, because she hadn't.

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
yhst-10843381165166_1984_1322460

Cooks like one of these, only it's portable.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
ooohhh, hotplate :D

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score

It's actually part of the required secret initiation into Gordon Ramsay's Hell's Kitchen. If you can make it through the cooktop induction process, by golly you're made of stern stuff.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
That's the shipper's demands, Joe, not UPS's. They required a signature before the parcel can be delivered.
Yes. I'm not sure why you're singling out UPS. The carrier could care less if you sign for something or if it gets lost or trashed or whatever. They're just following the shipper's orders.