Mis-remembered????

talkwrite

Passion in full bloom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linguisticworld.com
There was another thread started listing incorrectly used words in the media, but I can't find it. Roger Clements testifying in the Senate Hearings on steroid use claimed that his buddy must have "mis-remembered" Clements telling him that he did inject himself with steroids.

I work in court and now I am terrified to face more witnesses making this claim to have mis-remembered. I can not even visualize the image of a memory being deemed incorrect or deformed after the fact. Will this new expression lead to claims of mis-contemplating or mis-fearing or the ultimate- to mis-think!

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
There was another thread started listing incorrectly used words in the media, but I can't find it. Roger Clements testifying in the Senate Hearings on steroid use claimed that his buddy must have "mis-remembered" Clements telling him that he did inject himself with steroids.

I work in court and now I am terrified to face more witnesses making this claim to have mis-remembered. I can not even visualize the image of a memory being deemed incorrect or deformed after the fact. Will this new expression lead to claims of mis-contemplating or mis-fearing or the ultimate- to mis-think!
I know how you feel about words being used incorrectly--thing is, misremember isn't one of them. It's meant "to remember wrongly" for almost five hundred years, first recorded in print in 1533. The Oxford English Dictionary has citations from every century since, so it seems to have been around consistently ever since. I know I've heard it (and used it, for that matter). You must have just missed that vocabulary lesson. Or misremembered it. ;)

Last edited: